Fox Shocks with stock springs?

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
I put the Fox shocks on my '21 Pioneer 1000-5 right away. Ever since I thought there could be room for improvement and have been looking into spring options. While watching a video I noticed the stock spring and thought what if I put those springs on the Fox shocks. Looks like a fit, top tender portion isn't collapsed like the Fox, so may have more flex. Anyone tried this or any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I just took off the base model shocks and put on the the Honda Fox shocks.

I can’t fathom a reason for going backwards…even just with the springs..

have you considered adjusting the preload etc?

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
I've got over 1300 miles on in the last 6 months. Ridden Rockhouse, Devil Anse, Indiana Ridge, Warrior, and lots of outlaw. Also ride home here in Wisconsin. The top portion is collapsed and adding preload will only make the spring stiffer. My goal is to smooth things out, planned on ordering new single rate springs as others have suggested, but just thought since I have them already if anyone had tried it.

Reactions: JenElio and Lady01
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I put the Fox shocks on my '21 Pioneer 1000-5 right away. Ever since I thought there could be room for improvement and have been looking into spring options. While watching a video I noticed the stock spring and thought what if I put those springs on the Fox shocks. Looks like a fit, top tender portion isn't collapsed like the Fox, so may have more flex. Anyone tried this or any thoughts?

🤣

Reactions: Lady01
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got over 1300 miles on in the last 6 months. Ridden Rockhouse, Devil Anse, Indiana Ridge, Warrior, and lots of outlaw. Also ride home here in Wisconsin. The top portion is collapsed and adding preload will only make the spring stiffer. My goal is to smooth things out, planned on ordering new single rate springs as others have suggested, but just thought since I have them already if anyone had tried it.

I'm not sure anyone knows the stock shock spring rate and I don't think they are the right diameter for the fox shocks. Likely the front spring is too small in diameter and the rear way too big

Reactions: Lady01
xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
Not sure of the reason for laughter.

The reason for the message boards is to share ideas and raise questions. I'm not the type to get offended easily, but lately this place has had more smart asses and its a bit tiresome.

Last edited:
CGD

CGD

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2020
SE Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
I don't have Fox shocks yet so I don't know if the stock springs would fit them but if it works out for you then let us know. Having to change to different springs is what is keeping me from buying the Fox shocks right now.
I'll most likely buy them and replace the springs but it would be great to find a cheaper alternative.

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
I don't have Fox shocks yet so I don't know if the stock springs would fit them but if it works out for you then let us know. Having to change to different springs is what is keeping me from buying the Fox shocks right now.
I'll most likely buy them and replace the springs but it would be great to find a cheaper alternative.
You can only buy the Fox shocks with the springs included. It's not that it's a bad setup, all depends on what you use your machine for. They ride very nice, just looking for even better.

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
So I can confirm that the rear stock P1K5 springs do not fit on the Fox shocks. The top spring cup on the Fox is a larger diameter. This would be a simple fix to turn it down to fit the stock spring, but I didn't bother. Just another shadetree experiment.

Reactions: JenElio
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
I just ordered replacement springs for my LE's Fox shocks. Ordered #300 springs for rear and #250 for the front.

Screenshot 20210827 153526 Samsung Internet

advertisement