Sweetroll

Sweetroll

Oct 12, 2016
Boise, ID
www.mh-solutions.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi All,
Looking to see if anyone has any experience using a Honda for food plot preparation using a chisel plow like this. It's marketed to be used by ATV's so I don't believe power will be an issue, but just looking for any feedback before I make the purchase.
712Sfv MdL SY679

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don't see what it would hurt. What sizes can you get? What pioneer you got?

"DGann"....I hammer down one time and break something and joeymt33 don't let me forget it!!!!!

Reactions: DGann and sharp
Sweetroll

Sweetroll

Oct 12, 2016
Boise, ID
www.mh-solutions.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 1000-5. I think the plow width is 50in. We're pretty close to pulling the trigger, so I'll post how it goes when we do our planting next month.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well I'm curious to how it works. Too be honest I have my doubts to its effectiveness on anything other than sandy soils.But if you say It works great then I would be game.

Reactions: Tflynn and JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We pull a 50" with a 20 hp Kubota that weighs less or about the same as the the pioneer I think. The tractor has an advantage with the low gears but the pioneer has the weight to pull it I think.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi All,
Looking to see if anyone has any experience using a Honda for food plot preparation using a chisel plow like this. It's marketed to be used by ATV's so I don't believe power will be an issue, but just looking for any feedback before I make the purchase.
View attachment 39113
Yoy may have to make a couple swipes with it, but it should work I'd think.

J

JTW

Hi All,
View attachment 39113
Do you not have a tractor?

Sweetroll

Sweetroll

Oct 12, 2016
Boise, ID
www.mh-solutions.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No tractor at our disposal all of the time. We're going to be working some land owned by a friend who's main occupation is farming, but we're looking to do this without having to take his time to do it. When we need to plant is when his equipment will be busy. It's sort of the deal for him letting us use the land.

J

JTW

No tractor at our disposal all of the time. We're going to be working some land owned by a friend who's main occupation is farming, but we're looking to do this without having to take his time to do it. When we need to plant is when his equipment will be busy. It's sort of the deal for him letting us use the land.
I see... I've never used anything but a tractor for plots.. I just don't see it working all that well.. I think it's going to be too light a plow and no lift could be a problem (would be for me). As was said.. it might work in loose sandy soil.. but I just think it's going to be a waste trying to plow.. if it were me I'd find a cheap old tractor and decent plow or Roto tiller to break things up good. Then you could use your Honda and a disk if you wanted.

Sweetroll

Sweetroll

Oct 12, 2016
Boise, ID
www.mh-solutions.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We're getting some similar feedback from the land owner. He thinks that we'll at least need a disc implement to break the ground up well enough to be worth the effort. So we're now throwing the idea around with one of these:
365393 700x700
It's a bit more to buy, but I suppose may be worth it. Any opinions in that direction? Thank you for the comments by the way - obviously we're a bunch of amateurs trying 1940's farm techniques...

advertisement
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi All,
View attachment 39113

I've been looking for something like this also. This is the Impact Implements 1-point system, isn't it? I came very close to purchasing and saw some comments about it being too light and fragile (others said it worked fine...same as always). It caused me to keep looking though and am now debating between this and the Kolpin 3-point system. It might be worth a look sweetroll....it's a Cat 0 3-point hitch with an electric lift, rather than the crank lift on the 1-point system. It's spendier though.....4-5x IIRC. Just throwing it out there so you know your options. I'm still undecided and would love to hear your impressions if you decide to pull the trigger. :D I'll do the same of course. I just want to grade a driveway and some rough areas at my build site so I may also just bail and buy one of those drag harrows and do like a 1000 passes instead. I'll probably spend what I save on gas, but I won't have to do as much explaining to my wife. Good luck. (forgot to mention, Kolpin has all the food plot type implements for it's system...but I think you can use any Cat 0 implement on it....can't see why you couldn't anyway....the only issue would be weight on the receiver....a lot of those tractor implements exceed the limit on the receiver before you add in the weight of the 3-point system)

Reactions: Corona1
Sweetroll

Sweetroll

Oct 12, 2016
Boise, ID
www.mh-solutions.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have seen the Kolpin stuff, but we're not looking to get quite that deep into the equipment side of things (and we have guys available to provide seed spreading labor and stuff haha). The way we're seeing it, if we do need something that sophisticated we might as well either go to Tates Rents, or have the landowner bring his real equipment out and get the job done.

J

JTW

We're getting some similar feedback from the land owner. He thinks that we'll at least need a disc implement to break the ground up well enough to be worth the effort. So we're now throwing the idea around with one of these:
View attachment 39251
It's a bit more to buy, but I suppose may be worth it. Any opinions in that direction? Thank you for the comments by the way - obviously we're a bunch of amateurs trying 1940's farm techniques...
A disk needs to be heavy.. VERY heavy. Again.. I think you're pissing in the wind with that.

J

JTW

Rent what you need or hire it done if you aren't willing to buy a tractor and implements.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have seen the Kolpin stuff, but we're not looking to get quite that deep into the equipment side of things (and we have guys available to provide seed spreading labor and stuff haha). The way we're seeing it, if we do need something that sophisticated we might as well either go to Tates Rents, or have the landowner bring his real equipment out and get the job done.
Yeah, don't blame you there.....especially if you've got other options.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
View attachment 39251
That second pic is a devise used after a plow has turned the soil over. It is meant to bust up the clumps it won't cut through virgin soil. I had similar Ideas when I did my plots of throw and grow max. I ended up paying the neighbors to use their rear tiller on kabota tractor.I know how frustrating it can be to just do food plots but don't give up.Some times I use my cub walk behind tiller

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Knowing how sandy the soil is in most of Idaho, a disc might do what you're looking for. I have heavy clay soil here and I have to use a tractor and bigger, heavier equipment. I would recommend renting or borrowing some different implements to see just what they will do in your soils and then make the investment in whatever works best for you.

J

JTW

That second pic is a devise used after a plow has turned the soil over. It is meant to bust up the clumps it won't cut through virgin soil. I had similar Ideas when I did my plots of throw and grow max. I ended up paying the neighbors to use their rear tiller on kabota tractor.I know how frustrating it can be to just do food plots but don't give up.Some times I use my cub walk behind tiller
It's called a disk.. and yes you're correct, sorta. Depending on what you're planting, you can disk the seed in without plowing. Plowing just makes it better. Clover works well this way. But again... the disk has to be heavy to cut the ground.
These are a plot of turnips and greens and the start of a clover plot first put in just with an old drag disk.. it probably weighs 1500-2000lbs.

IMG 3130

Reactions: Corona1 and swsebek
PCB67SS

PCB67SS

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2015
Panama City Beach
I put in a few new plots last fall.....I thought about using a ATV/UTV attachments but ended up getting someone to disc them up. My buddy just pulled some of my trail cam cards yesterday and I was sure surprised when he sent me this one. I get about as much enjoyment going thru the pictures as I do hunting. I also had some small watering holes put in and they are magnets to all kinds of wildlife.

Albino Doe 03282017 middle plot

The date on the camera is off, not sure how that happened. This was Monday this week.

Road Warrior

Road Warrior

Aug 12, 2013
Palestine, IL
Ownership

1. 700-2
It's called a disk.. and yes you're correct, sorta. Depending on what you're planting, you can disk the seed in without plowing. Plowing just makes it better. Clover works well this way. But again... the disk has to be heavy to cut the ground.
These are a plot of turnips and greens and the start of a clover plot first put in just with an old drag disk.. it probably weighs 1500-2000lbs.

View attachment 39262
I agree 100%.
I don't know a damn thing about Idaho soil but anything pulled behind a UTV here will just cut off clumps of grass and ride on top of the ground.
Spend the money to hire somebody or rent a tractor and rototiller to do it right. You'll be money ahead and save yourself a lot of frustration.

advertisement