P1000 Flushing the cooling system and where to get coolant for your Pioneer?

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Looking for Honda blue coolant, is the Pro Honda quart bottle for $20 something the stuff? Is there a source cheaper? I'd like gallons as I want to flush my whole system after using some GM red coolant in a pinch.

TYIA

Reactions: Isaiah
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
It is my understanding that two general kinds of coolants predominate, propylene glycol and ethylene glycol and propylene glycol is the preferred choice for motorcycles. Keep in mind, you are wanting to use a coolant safe for a aluminum radiator. Personally, I would go to any quality motorcycle shop and get some quality coolant....my opinion

Reactions: SuperDutyJohn
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Premix gallons available over the counter at any decent parts store.
@Remington just bought prestone premix by the gallon. It is the blue stuff for these machines.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Here you go! ;)
20276882 1884 4CD2 AE59 1F65600D8009

ReidMcT

ReidMcT

Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2017
Hunt, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
Reactions: SuperDutyJohn
advertisement
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So, what's the best way to flush your Pioneer 999 engine?

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It is my understanding that two general kinds of coolants predominate, propylene glycol and ethylene glycol and propylene glycol is the preferred choice for motorcycles. Keep in mind, you are wanting to use a coolant safe for a aluminum radiator. Personally, I would go to any quality motorcycle shop and get some quality coolant....my opinion
For the the record, I don't have a reliable motorcycle shop, much less a Honda Pioneer dealer near that I trust!

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, what's the best way to flush your Pioneer 999 engine?

I purchased some prestone Honda blue at walmart for $7 per 1/2 gallon. 50 / 50 premix.

To flush, I'm going to disconnect lower radiator hose on passenger side, then use my small battery operated blower to force air pressure through system and any remaining fluid should flow out disconnected lower radiator hose.

Once it warms up a bit I will update post on how it went.

Reactions: Remington
2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I attempted to flush the 1000-5 today. Disconnected passenger lower hose from radiator and let fluid drain out. Then hooked up my small Electric blower to the raidiator and was able to force quite a bit of fluid out. Tried hooking blower to lower rad hose but nothing happened. Make sure to clamp off small overflow hose when trying to back flush with air.

Some tiny metal shavings came out. Guessing from the manufacturing process. Filled with prestine Honda blue 50/50 from Walmart.

I used a total of 1.25 gallons. This included filling the overflow tank to between min and max.

There must have been some leftover coolant in the engine since my new coolant tests to -20 instead of -34 when testing straight from the jug.

I elevated front by driving on oil change car ramps and let it warm up until cooling fan came on. Let cool down and it nearly emptied the overflow tank. Must have gotten a lot of air out since I filled it full from radiator before I warmed it up.

FYI - front radiator hoses. Driver side hose is hot hose. Passenger side hose is cold until thermostat opens.

Success, since it never gets to below -20 here and that’s much better than the 0F it tested as from the dealer.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I attempted to flush the 1000-5 today. Disconnected passenger lower hose from radiator and let fluid drain out. Then hooked up my small Electric blower to the raidiator and was able to force quite a bit of fluid out. Tried hooking blower to lower rad hose but nothing happened. Make sure to clamp off small overflow hose when trying to back flush with air.

Some tiny metal shavings came out. Guessing from the manufacturing process. Filled with prestine Honda blue 50/50 from Walmart.

I used a total of 1.25 gallons. This included filling the overflow tank to between min and max.

There must have been some leftover coolant in the engine since my new coolant tests to -20 instead of -34 when testing straight from the jug.

I elevated front by driving on oil change car ramps and let it warm up until cooling fan came on. Let cool down and it nearly emptied the overflow tank. Must have gotten a lot of air out since I filled it full from radiator before I warmed it up.

FYI - front radiator hoses. Driver side hose is hot hose. Passenger side hose is cold until thermostat opens.

Success, since it never gets to below -20 here and that’s much better than the +10 it tested as from the dealer.
Glad it all worked for you.
There is a bleeder screw on top of the thermostat housing to bleed the air out as well. It’s located under the seat in the middle far back.

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad it all worked for you.
There is a bleeder screw on top of the thermostat housing to bleed the air out as well. It’s located under the seat in the middle far back.

Good to know about the bleeder. Thanks.

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
you can use the pre stone gold coolant it is made to use with all brand and color coolant you if you want blue there is a Honda blue they use for the cars. but the universal gold will work with no issues. the new coolants and designed to work with the newer engines diffrent manufacturers use diffrent color dye in theres.

Reactions: JTW
advertisement