P1000 First real ride

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took the new kid out for her first real ride caribou hunting. My impression is this baby is a refined beast. I was just blown away. I've been riding a Polaris XP since 2009 along with a can am 650 two up XP.

I ran about 35 miles in from Eureka. Saw nothing. No one else did, so really no hunting. Just looking. I did a total of about 70 please plus miles.

The P1000 was a beast. It ran flawlessly. Never lacked power. I never got out of AT mode. Even coming back up from the Little Nel to Monument, which is the steepest route I've ever done. I buried it once at the river due to my stupidity but the winch took it right out. High centered it.

No heat issues, but the temperature was in the mid 60's. The transmission did its clunking noise but after about 60 miles on the odo, it started getting less noticeable. No clutch slippage. Thank god I snorkeled and vented it. I did probable 50 plus water crossings. I was comfortable the entire day and no issues in that area. Power steering was great.

Two issues and both minor. The size of the fuel tank sucks. It needs to be ten gallons. I was bone dry back at camp after about 72 miles. And the throttle pedal needs to be extended. I also have to agree that first gear needs to be lower, but I can live with it as is. But it did a great job holding back going down hill. Also lack of storage is an issue.

I have to say, that this machine is hands down the best I've ever owned, and I've had over ten ATV's and sxs's. It's just frikken awesome. I really don't feel that I even taxed it or worked it hard at all. I do not believe I even came close to its potential. I really give this a two thumbs up in the real world riding arena.

So after the first real ride, I need to add a arm protectors, a bed extender, spare tire carrier and spare tire, winch toggle switch and flat gas packs to the bed extender. For this to be a very functional rig, that is all I need. Of course I'll do more I'm sure, but those are what I feel is needed out of the gate.

If you are one of those considering this machine, don't hesitate to buy. You will not regret it.

Thanks to @AKRider, @Delton, @CumminsPusher, @Delton and @joeymt33 for all the great advice to make this machine even better out of the box. My hats off to you gentlemen. ( term used loosely and does not imply that you are one).

Last edited:
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 21598 View attachment 21596 View attachment 21595 View attachment 21594 View attachment 21592 I took the new kid out for her first real ride caribou hunting. My impressions are to out it mile let, this baby is a refined beast. I was just blown away. I've been riding a Polaris XP since 2009 along with a can am 650 two up XP.

I ran about 35 miles in from Eureka. Saw nothing. No one else did, so really no hunting. Just looking.

The P1000 was a beast. It ran flawlessly. Never lacked power. I never got out of AT mode. Even coming back up from the Little Nel to Monument, which is the steepest route I've ever done. I buried it once at the river due to my stupidity but the winch took it right out.

No heat issues, but the temperature was in the mid 60's. The transmission did its clunking noise but after about 60 miles on the odo, it started getting less noticeable. No clutch slippage. Thank god I snorkel and vented it. I did probable 50 plus water crossings. I was comfortable the entire day and no issues in that area. Power steering was great.

Two issues and both minor. The size of the fuel tank sucks. It needs to be ten gallons. I was bone dry back at camp after about 72 miles. And the throttle pedal needs to be extended. I also have to agree that first gear needs to be lower, but I can live with it as is. Also lack of storage is an issue.

I have to say, that this machine is hands down the best I've ever owned, and I've had over ten ATV's and sxs's. It's just frikken awesome. I really don't feel that I even taxed it or work d it hard.

So after the first real ride, I need to add a arm protectors, a bed extender, spare tire carrier and spare tire, winch toggle switch and flat gas packs to the bed extender. For this to be a very functional rig, that is all I need. Of course I'll do more I'm sure, but those are what I feel is needed out of the gate
That's awesome! It is a beast. Those climbs are challenging and it crawls right up them. I was towing a meat wagon half filled with firewood and the rest gear going up Monument from the Nelchina. My machine rocked it! The positives definitely outweigh the negatives... by 1000%.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's awesome! It is a beast. Those climbs are challenging and it crawls right up them. I was towing a meat wagon half filled with firewood and the rest gear going up Monument from the Nelchina. My machine rocked it! The positives definitely outweigh the negatives... by 1000%.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Yep. They do outweigh the negatives, which are so minor.

Reactions: sharp and Delton
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep. They do outweigh the negatives, which are so minor.

If you are thinking about doing a custom switchplate, @mystic1219 does an awesome job and will cut to suit. $25 shipped. Here's what I have, a Cooper Bussman PDM and dual battery setup. I have a lightbar, backup lights, dome lights, a wiper, and a slot to add rock lights. I plan on adding a switch for the winch on the drivers side, outside of the switchplate. I can give you the info you need to get started. I have to give credit to @CumminsPusher, @joeymt33, @Hondasxs and so many other's that gave me ideas and answers to my questions and concerns. It's nice to have someone local. We definitely need to get together in the future.

A couple of the pics are before I cleaned her up after a ride.

20160812 230348 20160812 230424 20160816 195308 20160816 195317 20160817 212842 20160817 213028 Backup lights Light bar Switch panel

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are thinking about doing a custom switchplate, @mystic1219 does an awesome job and will cut to suit. $25 shipped. Here's what I have, a Cooper Bussman PDM and dual battery setup. I have a lightbar, backup lights, dome lights, a wiper, and a slot to add rock lights. I plan on adding a switch for the winch on the drivers side, outside of the switchplate. I can give you the info you need to get started. I have to give credit to @CumminsPusher, @joeymt33, @Hondasxs and so many other's that gave me ideas and answers to my questions and concerns. It's nice to have someone local. We definitely need to get together in the future.

A couple of the pics are before I cleaned her up after a ride.

View attachment 21601 View attachment 21602 View attachment 21603 View attachment 21604 View attachment 21605 View attachment 21606 View attachment 21607 View attachment 21608 View attachment 21609
I've got the switch plate from @mystic1219. Awesome job. I'll order the power setup after I get back from the slope next week. I'll need some advice on how to wire that toggle to the winch.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figured you'd be impressed with it. Pretty much everyone is. Awesome climbers! Haven't found anything that can stop it yet.

Reactions: AKRider