P1000 First "big" ride

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
TLDR: I had a really good time today and I think I actually like my Pioneer now.:cool:

Well, I got to take the Pioneer out for my first real ride today.

We went through several muddy fields and across a long levee and down some blacktop roads among other things. We put close to 60 miles on the machine. I was 240 'ish this morning and when I got home I noticed it hit 295 miles.

Some observations:

-I didn't realize how useful those paddle shifters really were until today. It was extremely useful to upshift when cruising into a higher gear and make it MUCH quieter.

-The seat heat really wasn't bad at all. It was around 73 degrees or so and we road a long time and didn't get hot. My brother was commenting on the fact he just road through some of those areas in his friends Rhino and was very uncomfortable compared to the Pioneer.

-Seats are actually pretty comfortable for riding a long time. I just knew I was going to have a flat butt but I actually didn't mind it at all. I bet the 2017 seat is really nice.

-The shifting is barely noticeable now. In High Range, you can't really feel the upshifts you can the downshifts but otherwise it is extremely smooth.

-No trouble at all in the mud, there were several places that looked firm but turned out to be about 6"-8" deep mud and the machine had no trouble going through in 2 Wheel locked. It had noticeably higher RPMs from the rear wheels spinning but otherwise you couldn't tell we were in mud other that the occasional little squirrely sliding around.

-The mud didn't get all over everything like I expected (although I was in 2WD)

-My brother kept commenting on how much he liked it, especially compared to his old RZR and he has only ever owned Polaris. Now he wants a Pioneer. :) Maybe when he gets a better job I might sell him mine and get a newer version.:p

-Even the mode shifter worked right most of the time. I kept it in Turf on the roads and switched to 2WD in the stuff I wasn't sure about.

So all in all, I am actually kind of happy I have a Pioneer. :eek:

Sorry, I don't have pictures.:(

I don't own a smart phone and didn't think to take the camera.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Glad that you are letting it grow on you and liking it.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
TLDR: I had a really good time today and I think I actually like my Pioneer now.:cool:

We went through several muddy fields and across a long levee and down some blacktop roads among other things. We put close to 60 miles on the machine. I was 240 'ish this morning and when I got home I noticed it hit 295 miles.

Some observations:

-I didn't realize how useful those paddle shifters really were until today. It was extremely useful to upshift when cruising into a higher gear and make it MUCH quieter.

-The seat heat really wasn't bad at all. It was around 73 degrees or so and we road a long time and didn't get hot. My brother was commenting on the fact he just road through some of those areas in his friends Rhino and was very uncomfortable compared to the Pioneer.

-Seats are actually pretty comfortable for riding a long time. I just knew I was going to have a flat butt but I actually didn't mind it at all. I bet the 2017 seat is really nice.

-The shifting is barely noticeable now. In High Range, you can't really feel the upshifts you can the downshifts but otherwise it is extremely smooth.

-No trouble at all in the mud, there were several places that looked firm but turned out to be about 6"-8" deep mud and the machine had no trouble going through in 2 Wheel locked. It had noticeably higher RPMs from the rear wheels spinning but otherwise you couldn't tell we were in mud other that the occasional little squirrely sliding around.

-My brother kept commenting on how much he liked it, especially compared to his old RZR and he has only ever owned Polaris. Now he wants a Pioneer. :) Maybe when he gets a better job I might sell him mine and get a newer version.:p

-Even the mode shifter worked right most of the time. I kept it in Turf on the roads and switched to 2WD in the stuff I wasn't sure about.

Glad you're able to get out and enjoy it now. I told ya if ya got er out and run it through the paces you'd like it;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Some observations:

Next time pics. Dammit Crow you know the rules lol.

K

k9drivr

Great to hear, crow. I've been lurking here for a couple months trying to decide between the P1000 and the competition and with you coming around that is one less dissenting opinion.