P1000 Extended warranty

Samiam1286

Samiam1286

Jul 24, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am days away from purchasing a p1k5 deluxe, not sure bout the extended warranty. I'm talking to a dealer in Tennessee. They have a 4 year extended warranty for a total of 5 years warranty, but it's not thru Honda it's a third party warranty. Cost is almost $1000, I have seen costs in here around $550 for the Honda 3 year extended.
Not sure what to do. I usually don't go with extended warranties. And being third party concerns me, but I have read in here that may be better than going thru Honda.
Looking for advice!
Should pick up later this week, on the way to pick it up last Saturday the DEF system faulted on the truck, or I would have it now!
Thanks in advance for any advice!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My shop prefers the aftermarket as they have had less problems with delays and no coverage. I've said this though it may be because they don't have as good of a relationship with Honda,not positive. My last rig I pushed Honda Care but talked to them this time for a bit and decided against it. Imo I'd talk to your service manager.

Reactions: joeymt33
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Extended warranties are ALWAYS negotiable on the price especially if you get it when you buy the rig don't let them tell you otherwise. Depending on the warranty company, sometimes after market is a little more lenient on the claims to be more competitive. As far as the time frame, if your anything like me I usually don't keep a rig longer than three years anyway, not because it don't run or anything like that I just like to upgrade with the new things they come out with. I also start to get the itch to customize and accessorize all over again.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am days away from purchasing a p1k5 deluxe, not sure bout the extended warranty. I'm talking to a dealer in Tennessee. They have a 4 year extended warranty for a total of 5 years warranty, but it's not thru Honda it's a third party warranty. Cost is almost $1000, I have seen costs in here around $550 for the Honda 3 year extended.
Not sure what to do. I usually don't go with extended warranties. And being third party concerns me, but I have read in here that may be better than going thru Honda.
Looking for advice!
Should pick up later this week, on the way to pick it up last Saturday the DEF system faulted on the truck, or I would have it now!
Thanks in advance for any advice!

I assume you are talking about Abernathy's. That is where I got my unit from as well. I think their price was $875, IIRC for the 4 year aftermarket.

I would call and ask what your local dealer/shop prefers since I doubt you would want to drive down from Ohio for a warranty claim.

If you don't have a local place you are planning on taking it for warranty work, then I would definitely go with the Honda plan because it is guaranteed to be okay at any Honda approved warranty center.

But that is just my thoughts and I did go with the aftermarket one, although, if I could do it over again, I may have gone with the Honda one instead.

Reactions: Delton
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought the Honda warranty for $620, which was the best flat true price. Some dealers may offer it at a slightly better price but they are making it up somewhere. If you get it cheaper, great, but make sure it's the Honda warranty, not one written up by the dealer or another underwriter. By the way, I understand you can purchase this anytime within the manufacturer original warranty period, not just at the time of purchase.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

I bought the Honda warranty for $620, which was the best flat true price. Some dealers may offer it at a slightly better price but they are making it up somewhere. If you get it cheaper, great, but make sure it's the Honda warranty, not one written up by the dealer or another underwriter. By the way, I understand you can purchase this anytime within the manufacturer original warranty period, not just at the time of purchase.

Yes, HPP is available up until the one year warranty expires and can be financed with unit.

Reactions: CumminsPusher