P500 Exhaust smell

B

bucky

Jun 6, 2017
pa
Ownership

1. 500
I was out riding in about 20" of snow & smelled exhaust the entire time is this normal? I was keeping the revs up because I was spinning but when I was done my coat, gloves & hat all smelled like exhaust.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was out riding in about 20" of snow & smelled exhaust the entire time is this normal? I was keeping the revs up because I was spinning but when I was done my coat, gloves & hat all smelled like exhaust.
Windshield? They will really bring in the exhaust at low speeds. Maybe just the situation made it worse than usual?

I've driven 2 500's briefly...mostly at low speeds, and i have to admit i thought the amount of exhaust you could smell was unusual. The 1st was a full shield, so that explained it...but the second completely open.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
When I've had exhaust smell it could always be explained by the wind blowing in from my six. :p

R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I will agree with @trigger that the heat/noise barrier does in fact cut down on that...I use one during summer and remove in winter to gain a touch of heat inside cabin and can tell a little difference...but I have never gotten out of the machine smelling like it!

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I've never experienced that but I have a heat/noise barrier in place, maybe that has something to do with it? Old sh**** gas maybe?
I also got barrier..under seat...all the way
...up the back..
no exhaust. .now if I get
riding the rocks..sloshing my
fuel..I get a wife of fuel..

Reactions: trigger
D

Deleted member 3748

Even if you had an exhaust leak everything is still located behind you and should be blowing away. Do you have a rear panel, doors, or a full cab? You say 20" of snow so I imagine you were going pretty slow though. Were you doing donuts? Are you sure it's exhaust smell and not the nasty stink of snow steam?

Reactions: rocmar
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would say it’s the snow... I left from hunting and had lots of mud everywhere. Hit the dirt road wide open and when I stopped it smell like it was burning up...