P1000 Electric steering lamp and shifting problems

S

sbass1492

Jun 3, 2020
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2017 pioneer 1000-5. Yesterday the electric power steering light came on and when it did the transmission wouldn't shift out of first. Put it in manual and couldn't shift it that way either. Letting it sit for a few minutes and I could start it with no light but as soon as it comes on I lose the ability to shift again. Any ideas before I take it to a dealer and have to pay a fortune to get it diagnosed?

Reactions: Smitty335
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
How old is your battery? Does start well or does it really struggle?

Have you tried charging the battery with trickle charger?

I bring this up as weird things happen when the battery gets weak....and you mentioned you have a 2017 machine.

S

sbass1492

Jun 3, 2020
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How old is your battery? Does start well or does it really struggle?

Have you tried charging the battery with trickle charger?

I bring this up as weird things happen when the battery gets weak....and you mentioned you have a 2017 machine.
Battery hasn't given any problems. Starts up fine no lag or anything

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Battery hasn't given any problems. Starts up fine no lag or anything
It could still be your battery even if its starts fine. It should read 12.7 volts with motor off and 14.1 volts motor running. Could vary + or - .1 or .2.

W

Weekend Warrior

Nov 6, 2022
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2017 pioneer 1000-5. Yesterday the electric power steering light came on and when it did the transmission wouldn't shift out of first. Put it in manual and couldn't shift it that way either. Letting it sit for a few minutes and I could start it with no light but as soon as it comes on I lose the ability to shift again. Any ideas before I take it to a dealer and have to pay a fortune to get it diagnosed?
Did you ever come up with a solution to this problem? My 2017 1000-5 did the same thing Saturday when we were out in it.
I limped down the side of the road in 1st for about a mile then pulled off in a wide spot to look underneath. Couldn’t see anything so I gave it a good rock back n forth and heard something click. Got back in and started up and the light was off and it shifted fine but we went on home just in case.
Please Let me know if you figured out the issue

• Wow
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Did you ever come up with a solution to this problem? My 2017 1000-5 did the same thing Saturday when we were out in it.
I limped down the side of the road in 1st for about a mile then pulled off in a wide spot to look underneath. Couldn’t see anything so I gave it a good rock back n forth and heard something click. Got back in and started up and the light was off and it shifted fine but we went on home just in case.
I don't think that's gonna happen. The OP hasn't been on since his last post here that was 2-1/2 yrs ago.

I would suggest to start a new thread with ur issue to get more answers. Welcome from Michigan BTW.
We also request pics of your rig as well when u join so post them in your thread or start an intro with them or you will get.... Pics Or It Didn't Happen

advertisement
H

HondaTech

Does the speedometer read?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
good rock back n forth and heard something click. Got back in and started up and the light was off and it shifted fine but we went on home just in case.
Sounds like your shift motor is dirty. Take the motor off then take it apart and clean it out. When you have it apart you'll probably see crud inside and the armature is going to look black. Use some fine emery and clean the armature. This is a common issue as the machines get more miles/klms on them. IMO the shift motor should be removed and cleaned up around the 8000 klm 5000 miles. to keep it from giving problems.