P1000 Dual Battery Setup

ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need a little help. I'm starting to put together all of my accessories and going to setup dual batteries. I have been through the site about 100 times and can't find exactly what I'm looking for, so I'll explain what I'm trying to accomplish.

I want to key my accessories so they don't work with key off, Since I have little ones with sticky fingers. I'm going to run the relay between the batteries and run a keyed fuse block off second battery but what I can't figure out is what I'm seeing on everyone's posts is what is in between the battery and fuse block that looks like a solenoid that is keyed, are they using the winch solenoid to run the keyed power and battery through? And I don't want to run a bunch of relays. I'm trying for a nice clean look. Any help would be appreciated, I know they has been beat to death but I need some help. Thank you.

Another question, what are horn is everyone putting in?

Installing:
Radio
light bar
front led cubes
rear led cubes
horn
Dome lights

Last edited:
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Didn't want to let this get lost in the shuffle of posts. I haven't done mine yet but from what I am see on the dual battery setup this is what alot of them are doing.

-Install an isolator in between the 2 batteries to allow charging of the second battery, but to keep it from draining the primary battery

-Between 2nd or accessory battery, and the fuse panel they are putting a high amp relay (80 or so). This relay is triggered from a key on switch of some sort, so it will only be on when the key is on. I think cumminspusher was trying some different ways to accomplish this

-Lastly a fuse panel or PDM to run to each accessory. I am going to use a fuse panel, because my list of items is like yours and I didn't think I need the high amp relays that the PDM provides.

There is a lot of ways to do this. Jackal, joeymt33, and cumminspusher have some great tips and a wealth of knowledge in there garage builds.
Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Didn't want to let this get lost in the shuffle of posts. I haven't done mine yet but from what I am see on the dual battery setup this is what alot of them are doing.

-Install an isolator in between the 2 batteries to allow charging of the second battery, but to keep it from draining the primary battery

-Between 2nd or accessory battery, and the fuse panel they are putting a high amp relay (80 or so). This relay is triggered from a key on switch of some sort, so it will only be on when the key is on. I think cumminspusher was trying some different ways to accomplish this

-Lastly a fuse panel or PDM to run to each accessory. I am going to use a fuse panel, because my list of items is like yours and I didn't think I need the high amp relays that the PDM provides.

There is a lot of ways to do this. Jackal, joeymt33, and cumminspusher have some great tips and a wealth of knowledge in there garage builds.
Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the response, that's what I'm looking for the relay between second battery and fuse block keyed. Hope someone out there can tell me what they are using. This is the relay I'm thinking of using between the battries True UTV-SBI-15CK UTV Dual Battery Kit. I just can't pinpoint what the guys are using right before the fuse box that is keyed.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the response, that's what I'm looking for the relay between second battery and fuse block keyed. Hope someone out there can tell me what they are using. This is the relay I'm thinking of using between the battries True UTV-SBI-15CK UTV Dual Battery Kit. I just can't pinpoint what the guys are using right before the fuse box that is keyed.

My switches are on keyed power so they can't send power to the PDM when the key is off.

My PDM is hot all the time as it is connected directly to battery #2. With the key off, the PDM consumes no energy.

Side note, I wanted a few switches hot with the key off. Stereo switch, interior light switch and usb charger are hot at all times. I can charge my phone or listen to the stereo with the key off. So there is a risk of killing the second battery but my primary batt is isolated.

SIGNATURE:
CumminsPusher quote: Boredom + Pioneer = trouble for me. I can't stop. Damn these things guys. I thank god I'm not the only one though. If it's just you then you're crazy if it's a group it's a sport!

Reactions: Eltobgi and sharp
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know someone with more knowledge would let us know a different way of doing it. I guess there are many ways to skin a cat or wire a pio.

Reactions: ohiohunter