P1000m5 Dual Battery Setup

Bulldawg Bill

Bulldawg Bill

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2024
Wilder, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have looked through the previous threads, watched a number of videos, etc., and bought parts accordingly. Now that I'm getting ready to install it all, however, I'm left wondering if I misread something, bought too many parts, etc.?

I bought the Kemimoto Battery Isolator kit from Amazon, as well as the Stinger Relay, but now I'm wondering if I need both? I like the Kemimoto kit because of the emergency start option, the voltage meter, etc., but I can't find the wiring diagram (if there ever was one?) that used both. I'm sure life would have been much simpler if I had bought everything from the HondaSXS Club store, which was my intent (I purchased the accessory switch wiring harness there) but to my chagrin the store site came up as closed when I was trying to order everything. Now it appears that was a temporary thing, and after reading past posts appears it happens from time to time, so next time I'll know to wait, but this time I thought it was out of business.

If anyone has time to shed light on the best way to wire the dual battery setup with both the Kemimoto and the Stinger (I also have bus bars for all the accessories I'm adding) I would really appreciate it!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Isolator and Relay are part of two separate but semi-related mods.

Isolator simply connects/disconnects the two batteries in parallel. When the 2nd gets low, it disconnects them to preserve the main battery for starting and DCT operation.

The Stinger is used to power a fuse panel (that you need to buy) that is energized when you turn the key on, and the power is supplied by the 2nd battery. Hook all your accessories to the fuse panel (except main winch lines - they go direct to aux battery) and the winch trigger goes to the fuse panel.

Lots of wiring examples on the forums. YouTube video and some wiring diagrams by one of our members (@RobSparre) are here.

Personally, I like the True AM kits. Send that Amazon kit back and order the kit from the Club Store.

If it freezes where you live, send that Stinger back and order a Cole Hersee marine rated relay. Search these forums for links.

Last edited:
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Like scoop said the stinger is part of a separate system. A separate fuse box fed by the second battery. Start with the dual battery and get that set up then start on the second fuse box it’s not necessary but is handy to have

Bulldawg Bill

Bulldawg Bill

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2024
Wilder, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like scoop said the stinger is part of a separate system. A separate fuse box fed by the second battery. Start with the dual battery and get that set up then start on the second fuse box it’s not necessary but is handy to have
Thanks to both you and Scoop. I neglected to mention I also bought a separate fuse box. That explains it, I'm trying to do all my wiring at once, and I mixed up the two systems. Unfortunately too late to get from club store, I took Friday off to do the wiring.

Reactions: ChadD
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks to both you and Scoop. I neglected to mention I also bought a separate fuse box. That explains it, I'm trying to do all my wiring at once, and I mixed up the two systems. Unfortunately too late to get from club store, I took Friday off to do the wiring.
Great your on your way. I ran everything through my 2nd fuse box except winch that goes straight to 2nd battery. I have the constant wire from my radio hooked up straight as well. It will also make it easier if you want to use a master switch to control 2nd fuse box later.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It will also make it easier if you want to use a master switch to control 2nd fuse box later.
The club store also sells a DPDT Carling setup that, depending upon the position the switch is in, it will:

1. Run all accessories on the AUX side of things (fuse box after Stinger/Cole Hersee relay) only when the key is ON.
2. Run all accessories on the AUX side of things (fuse box after Stinger/Cole Hersee relay) even with the key OFF.
3. Do NOT run anything on the AUX side of things.

Switch and pre-wired harness: Pre-Wired Relay Control Switch for AUX and Key-on usage. For Stinger, Cole Hersee or any.

Switch only: AUX & Key-on Rocker Switch, DPDT, ON/OFF/ON.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The club store also sells a DPDT Carling setup that, depending upon the position the switch is in, it will:

1. Run all accessories on the AUX side of things (fuse box after Stinger/Cole Hersee relay) only when the key is ON.
2. Run all accessories on the AUX side of things (fuse box after Stinger/Cole Hersee relay) even with the key OFF.
3. Do NOT run anything on the AUX side of things.

Switch and pre-wired harness: Pre-Wired Relay Control Switch for AUX and Key-on usage. For Stinger, Cole Hersee or any.

Switch only: AUX & Key-on Rocker Switch, DPDT, ON/OFF/ON.

I started with a 7 pin as a master switch then bought the 10 pin from the club store but still did my own wiring. Don’t think the harness was available yet. I repurposed the seven pin to use with the high beam harness from the store so now I can have it on with the high beams off or on by itself. Basically same wiring set up except the the light replaced stinger and trigger wire replaces key on.