P1000 Dual Battery Setup Winch Issue

H

Hsureddiepb

Mar 17, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As like most of us with dual batteries, I’m using the True Amalgamated dual battery isolation setup on my 2018 1000-5 LE. I have a Warn Axon 55-S winch, and other than an MTX sound bar, it’s the only accessory utilizing the accessory battery at the moment. I have an Autozone Duralast battery for accessories, and the factory battery for the main systems.

My issue is that the auxiliary battery voltage seems to drop faster under winch use load than the system flips over to feed the auxiliary battery for, so the winch stalls out due to lack of power. Once the main battery charging is satisfied, it kicks over to the auxiliary charging and temporarily fixes the issue.

Questions:
Should I change the auxiliary battery?
Should I put the winch on the main system battery?
What am I missing?

Thank you for any advice!

2AB61D1C 6D73 4CF1 963B 7CD0BE7E2F7B

Reactions: Lady01
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What am I missing?
Hi.
More info on how exactely it is wired please. Maybe a pic or 2.
  • Are both the winch red and black direct to the second battery? It should be.
  • Where are you grounding the second battery back to the factory/frame?
  • How new is this install?
It wouldn't hurt to charge the battery. Especially if its new and you haven't.
And no. Winch should stay on second battery.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
H

Hsureddiepb

Mar 17, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Winch positive and negative are on secondary battery. Here’s the diagram minus the winch. Add a positive to positive and negative to negative on the accessory battery and you’ve got it all.

Mine is a 2018, so using the factory installed ground hooked up to negative terminal on the accessory battery. Install was a couple of months ago, but haven’t used winch in “real life” was just messing around with it at the house.

Pictured is the accessory battery. Wires labeled are:
1) winch negative
2) factory installed ground
3) negative going to fuse panel
4) negative going to stinger solenoid
5) negative going to master 7 way pin toggle for off/hot/constant hot with machine off

6) winch positive
7) positive feeding from True Amalgamated isolator box
8) positive going to full system safety cut off switch

Thank you for any help!

4BE58228 E3FD 4C40 8F0E EA635BDC8A4D 611303AC 8EFE 40E7 B69C 99EB61B1FC53

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
Jensenj71

Jensenj71

Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
An EXT12 isn't much of a battery for a winch with only 10Ah and 180CCA. I suspect the voltage drops quickly when you hit it with the winch. The winch might exceed the 180CCA. The winches on my ATVs are connected to the primary batteries and I believe those batteries are a size 14 or 16.

The winch likely draws enough amps that the internal resistance of the battery is a problem. When you charge or discharge a lead acid battery too fast (current vs Ah rating) the internal resistance eats up a large part of the energy and turns it into heat. The Odessey second battery everyone is using (PC925?) is more like 28Ah and 330CCA. I don't have any issues with the winch and lights running off of my Odessey second battery in my P1000-5.

Keep in mind that you only have 600watts of charging from the engine on these machines. That works out to 50amps. I don't know what is being used by the ignition, fuel injectors, transmission and fan, however I would guess 20-30amps. Engine rpm, battery state of charge and battery capacity will likely limit the realized charging current available to recharge a battery. I don't think you will have much luck charging a 10Ah battery at much more than 10amps. The 28Ah Odessey will likely absorb 28amps. In other words, you need a large enough battery to power the winch during a pull and you need a large enough battery to absorb the charging current between winch pulls. I just don't think the EXT12 is enough.

H

Hsureddiepb

Mar 17, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
An EXT12 isn't much of a battery for a winch with only 10Ah and 180CCA. I suspect the voltage drops quickly when you hit it with the winch. The winch might exceed the 180CCA. The winches on my ATVs are connected to the primary batteries and I believe those batteries are a size 14 or 16.

The winch likely draws enough amps that the internal resistance of the battery is a problem. When you charge or discharge a lead acid battery too fast (current vs Ah rating) the internal resistance eats up a large part of the energy and turns it into heat. The Odessey second battery everyone is using (PC925?) is more like 28Ah and 330CCA. I don't have any issues with the winch and lights running off of my Odessey second battery in my P1000-5.

Keep in mind that you only have 600watts of charging from the engine on these machines. That works out to 50amps. I don't know what is being used by the ignition, fuel injectors, transmission and fan, however I would guess 20-30amps. Engine rpm, battery state of charge and battery capacity will likely limit the realized charging current available to recharge a battery. I don't think you will have much luck charging a 10Ah battery at much more than 10amps. The 28Ah Odessey will likely absorb 28amps. In other words, you need a large enough battery to power the winch during a pull and you need a large enough battery to absorb the charging current between winch pulls. I just don't think the EXT12 is enough.
This makes total sense. Thank you so much and I really appreciate it. I’ll pick up a PC925 and rock and roll!

Reactions: Cookjames27