P1000 Drops out of low range

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know I should have dealt with this sooner but in the middle of moving and life is too chaotic. For the last few months in low range only, high works fine, when you first shift there, it sounds like a drum roll which starts out low sounding and then gets louder and louder and louder and over the course of about 5 to 10 seconds it gradually gets pretty loud and drops in.

Just now today going up an incline it’s evidently getting worse because it will slip out of low completely IF there’s any kind of torque involved and then when that happens it’s like a really loud clanging sound, almost like a chain has come off the clutch and it’s rattling. Just going on level flat road it won’t come out.

Is this just that adjustment underneath the cargo bed with those cables that you have to turn to lineup everything??? I’m so hoping...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know I should have dealt with this sooner but in the middle of moving and life is too chaotic. For the last few months in low range only, high works fine, when you first shift there, it sounds like a drum roll which starts out low sounding and then gets louder and louder and louder and over the course of about 5 to 10 seconds it gradually gets pretty loud and drops in.

Just now today going up an incline it’s evidently getting worse because it will slip out of low completely IF there’s any kind of torque involved and then when that happens it’s like a really loud clanging sound, almost like a chain has come off the clutch and it’s rattling. Just going on level flat road it won’t come out.

Is this just that adjustment underneath the cargo bed with those cables that you have to turn to lineup everything??? I’m so hoping...

that or a bent shift fork

Edit: Sorry hadn’t had my coffee, there is a cable adjustment under the stock battery location for the “shifter” lever. Thinking about one and you were talking about the other.
Yes you have to remove the battery and have small hands.

Last edited:
aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s not the adjustment under cargo bed. Those just do 2wd/4wd/turf setup. Sounds like internal trans problem to me but could possibly be the linkage behind shifter needs to be adjusted

Reactions: ohanacreek
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
that or a bent shift fork

Edit: Sorry hadn’t had my coffee, there is a cable adjustment under the stock battery location for the “shifter” lever. Thinking about one and you were talking about the other.
Yes you have to remove the battery and have small hands.

Actually I thought it was the one under the cargo bed with the four bolts and then 3 springs, but about the time I went to adjust it, I was thinking to myself wait a second, this doesn’t have a dang thing to do with that!!!

So I figured the quickest way to determine what the problem was, was to pull the seat and remove the cotter pin from the linkage to the shifter and push down hard on the shifter manually and sad to say, it still pops out of low gear and makes a loud racket while it’s at it, so I think it’s a major issue...

It only has 160 hours and 460 miles so I’m just amazed that I’m having this kind of issue!!!! Yes it’s a 2016 but still!!!

Luckily I did buy a 5 year “supposed” bumper to bumper warranty

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually I thought it was the one under the cargo bed with the four bolts and then 3 springs, but about the time I went to adjust it, I was thinking to myself wait a second, this doesn’t have a dang thing to do with that!!!

So I figured the quickest way to determine what the problem was, was to pull the seat and remove the cotter pin from the linkage to the shifter and push down hard on the shifter manually and sad to say, it still pops out of low gear and makes a loud racket while it’s at it, so I think it’s a major issue...

It only has 160 hours and 460 miles so I’m just amazed that I’m having this kind of issue!!!! Yes it’s a 2016 but still!!!

Luckily I did buy a 5 year “supposed” bumper to bumper warranty

sounds like shifter fork.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As in bent or screwed up? It doesn’t appear to be in any kind of abnormal shape or bent.

There’s another post on here with a guy who had the exact same problem and it turned out to be major and they had to go into the gears and crap

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ahhhhh, ok. I thought the shift fork was the actual lever that does the shifting

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The low range gear dogs are probably rounded off enough for it to jump out of gear.

Reactions: Eltobgi
advertisement
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone know if this is a common issue and others are having problems or is it the rare one?

That just completely blows my mind to be honest. I just can’t imagine that kind of damage with such low miles.

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
Seems to be a somewhat common problem that is caused from the shift cable linkage under the battery being out of adjustment not allowing the sub trans do drop completely into low range, which eventually results in rounded trans dogs and popping out of gear. I had some grinding when shifting to low, adjusted my cable and it went away, hopefully I caught it before the gear dogs got rounded over. It doesn't take much grinding to mess up the gear. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ohanacreek
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Update: The sub transmission is completely shot and the mechanic is clueless as to the cause. He checked the cable and the linkage and it was perfect and so he is really scratching his head.

It was the end of the gears were not fully engaged causing them to be rounded off so that part was dead on. The cause however remains elusive! He said it’s possible that the tolerances were just off on assembly!!!

In either case I have been waiting for approval from my extended warranty company (and honestly I think something this major should be covered by Honda...) that has requested more photos than a photographer shooting for a Hillary Clinton Playboy centerfold!!!

I personally find it to be absolutely unacceptable that there’s any damage to the sub-transmission with only 400 miles and 100 hours!!!

The only good news is it wasn’t the design of it but something that went amiss.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh yeah and while he has it there, he is fixing the clutch issue and Honda authorized a new clutch install.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The extended warranty company (Western Mcgraw) did indeed approve the repairs this morning. So they are moving ahead. I am impressed they stood up to the task. Very impressed.

My experiences with such companies is you are promised coverage for everything including your firstborn child, but when the moment comes you need something fixed...

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OMG!!!! I got it back and OMG, it has NEVER driven like this from the day I bought it. He said he reinitialized it and I’m going to tell you its smooth as butter!!!

The shifting and jerking has ALL went away, it shifts so smooth you wouldn’t even know it shifting!

But the most noticeable difference is when you’re shifting from 2 wheel to 4 to turf. It’s like pushing a button. It’s instantaneous and you can barely feel the lever moving!!!

I never knew it could be tweaked to such fine tolerances until now. But I did my research and this guy is an expert out of London and owned his own motorcycle shop for 30 years. He’s a 55-year-old man and does everything precise.

It took two solid months but he was worth the wait. Anyone who is complaining about shifting or jerking or putting it in gear or selecting all wheel drive, I would highly highly recommend you find your own expert and he did tell me that simply reinitializing will take care of a lot of it, but the rest was his expertise at putting the sub tranny and clutch everything else back together!

It is truly a dream machine now :)

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
L

Livedaily

Nov 17, 2019
Asheville, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OMG!!!! I got it back and OMG, it has NEVER driven like this from the day I bought it. He said he reinitialized it and I’m going to tell you its smooth as butter!!!

The shifting and jerking has ALL went away, it shifts so smooth you wouldn’t even know it shifting!

But the most noticeable difference is when you’re shifting from 2 wheel to 4 to turf. It’s like pushing a button. It’s instantaneous and you can barely feel the lever moving!!!

I never knew it could be tweaked to such fine tolerances until now. But I did my research and this guy is an expert out of London and owned his own motorcycle shop for 30 years. He’s a 55-year-old man and does everything precise.

It took two solid months but he was worth the wait. Anyone who is complaining about shifting or jerking or putting it in gear or selecting all wheel drive, I would highly highly recommend you find your own expert and he did tell me that simply reinitializing will take care of a lot of it, but the rest was his expertise at putting the sub tranny and clutch everything else back together!

It is truly a dream machine now :)
Im not far from you. Where is the guy you had work on yours. I have some of those shifting issues and want it fixed before damage is done.

Reactions: TripleB
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well if you are referring to Western North Carolina, sorry, I moved back to SC last month!

L

Livedaily

Nov 17, 2019
Asheville, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well if you are referring to Western North Carolina, sorry, I moved back to SC last month!
Oh. I’m in Asheville. Mine shifts rough and has had trouble getting into low gear. Wanted to make sure all was well before putting major miles on it.

advertisement