P500 Doors

marchinkeja

marchinkeja

Feb 15, 2015
Carpendale,Wv
Does anyone have the soft doors?How is fit? I read some reviews that said they was poorly made and didnt fit right?Just wanted to find out if they are worth getting?

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I have a set of the soft doors. I looked at them as a must for the weather conditions here in AK. I was also concerned about some poor reviews that I had read, but after installing them, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, there are some gaps. Yes, there is some leakage. Yes, they do "bellow" a bit in high winds. However, they block 90-95% of the rain, and 90-95% of the wind. This makes them great to me. I can ride in 45 degree, sideways rain with "normal" clothing on. I don't have to pull on head-to-toe rain gear, long johns, goggles, etc. My P500 is my primary transportation here on the island, and it would be a pain to have to "suit up" every time I ran to the store. Ha! Installation was not too bad, and fit/finish was better than expected. I was looking at ways to better seal doors, soft doors , windshield etc., but have decided to live with a few drafts, as this keeps the windshield from fogging. If you live in a "inhospitable" climate, I would recommend them.

G

Geoff

Apr 25, 2015
Falling Rock,W.V.
I have a set of the soft doors. I looked at them as a must for the weather conditions here in AK. I was also concerned about some poor reviews that I had read, but after installing them, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, there are some gaps. Yes, there is some leakage. Yes, they do "bellow" a bit in high winds. However, they block 90-95% of the rain, and 90-95% of the wind. This makes them great to me. I can ride in 45 degree, sideways rain with "normal" clothing on. I don't have to pull on head-to-toe rain gear, long johns, goggles, etc. My P500 is my primary transportation here on the island, and it would be a pain to have to "suit up" every time I ran to the store. Ha! Installation was not too bad, and fit/finish was better than expected. I was looking at ways to better seal doors, soft doors , windshield etc., but have decided to live with a few drafts, as this keeps the windshield from fogging. If you live in a "inhospitable" climate, I would recommend them.
how much do these doors cost?

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
how much do these doors cost?
They are $449.95 MSRP @ Honda. They're a little more if you want them in Phantom Camo. You can find them cheaper on Amazon, or can buy them at below that cost at a dealer, if they will dicker with you.

G

Geoff

Apr 25, 2015
Falling Rock,W.V.
They are $449.95 MSRP @ Honda. They're a little more if you want them in Phantom Camo. You can find them cheaper on Amazon, or can buy them at below that cost at a dealer, if they will dicker with you.
$449.95, is this per door or for 2?, if this is for 1 door I will make my own that will fit better than factory

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
@p500fan how hard are they to install and remove[/Q
They are't too bad to install, just a little awkward to hang by oneself. Having a helper would be advisable. (Tough being on both sides of the door at once.) Once you get everything positioned & tightened down, you can "un-hinge" the door frames to remove/re-install in just a few minutes by yourself. Hanging the hinges is the booger! I changed wheels/tires, installed the roof, windshield, rear panel, and cargo tray in 3 hours. Took 4 hours to hang/adjust doors to my liking. However, that could be due to the OCD my wife is always complaining about. Ha!

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Not sure why the reply is in italics. I'm sure it's something I have set incorrectly. I've never done very much online. My wife refers to me as a "technical laggard". I learned machine code in the late 80's. Didn't do much after that until 2012. Ha! Bear with this old man, until I get up to speed. I'm still learning anagrams. Ha!

advertisement
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Here are some pics of my rig with the doors installed. I finally got around to downloading them.
Photo 6
Photo 7

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Still have to install my battery kit, winch, and auxiliary lighting. Probably get started on that next week, if my Optima battery comes in.

Reactions: Geoff
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
if my Optima battery comes in.
Oh please tell me its not true ive never once had a good experience with optima of have any or the guys i raced with they would all last about a mth or to then stop holding a charge this was with yellow and red tops i hope for you that they have changed and will hold up for you

Reactions: p500fan
mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Oh please tell me its not true ive never once had a good experience with optima of have any or the guys i raced with they would all last about a mth or to then stop holding a charge this was with yellow and red tops i hope for you that they have changed and will hold up for you
i have only heard good things about the optima batteries.... i hear they are the best battery you can buy.... but i have never used one

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Had a yellowtop in my 700, was great never lost a charge. Thing about Optimas is they are an AGM you HAVE to use an AGM charger on them. If you use a standard charger it kills them. I have 2 in my truck one in the wife's car. Had one in the Pioneer and we've put 16 in my dads various vehicles over the last 4 years.

Disclaimer: I work for Johnson Controls, and I get them at a STEEP discount so that they are the same price as a standard battery. But if they were crap I wouldn't keep using them.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Yea i bought into that also then 600$ in batterys for my 3 cars/trucks and crawler to have them all die the same way all yellow tops friends with red tops all go the same way ppl at the track say the same ive neve met ANYONE that has had a good experience with them

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
@ohanacreek you are the first but i would never trust another ever i wouldnt even take one for free

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Weird we've had great luck with them. Red is different, blue and yellow are the same internally blue just has an extra set of posts with threads.

Dad had 3 brand new bluetops die at the same time in his RV but he was using a 1970's battery charger to maintain them.

He replaced them and used a new AGM charger and they've been great for the last 3 years.

We've used this charger with really good results.

NOCO Genius G4 6V/12V 4.4A 4-Bank UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068EV26I/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Maintains 4 at once where the Optima Charger only gets one albeit a lot faster.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I had the one in my truck daily driver and hauler yellow top crap out and brothers bn truck red top die same way swapped out to a walmart battery cuz just happens thats where i was when it gave up the ghost and never had a prob lol at one point i brought them back to auto zone so much for swap out the manager just gave me my money back lol so i guess it wasnt a total loss just alot of time and frustrations

advertisement