P1000 Doing it wrong - ball joint removal

J

JCWalsh

Sep 7, 2016
Shawnee, KS USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you use the wrong tool expect bad results. I picked up a free ball joint tool from Advance Auto and tried to make it work on removing the ball joints on my P1K5. None of the kit components were the correct size and this is what I was left with. Taking everything apart to install new HL control arms has been a bit more than I expected. Hopefully it will go back together easier.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Well..
That sucks. Thanks for sharing. I would hate to pull mine apart like that.
I noticed some people just ordered more joints vs trying to reuse the OEM ones.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
yea i tried that route. found that it could be done with some metric sized sockets but was kind of rough on the rubber boots. after one failure and one beat up success, i just decided i'd be buying new ball joints. great decision.

J

JCWalsh

Sep 7, 2016
Shawnee, KS USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New ball joints is the way to go. None of my local Honda shops have them in stock so I had to order on-line. Delivery is late next week so the project is on hold, which sucks.

H

HondaTech

Easy to remove, difficult to install. I always air hammer old ones out, but their usually worn out. We usually use a large piece of pipe that fits the ball joint and beat it in. It's not a fun time.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
i found installation to be fairly easy and straightforward with a press and sockets.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used one of those rental tools for mine as well with an impact but had to use a socket I had for it to work right, guess I got lucky.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've modified suspensions in the past. The design is such that if you assemble the ball joints and take them apart there is still some deformation.
I've seen too many times where reused ball joints fail soon after installation.

If you can't afford new one, I understand. But if you can... buy new ones.

Not to mention there is a 25% chance you will get the same results JC got. Even with good tools.

Flgator_80

Flgator_80

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2017
Lexington, Tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got a set from auto store but they are to big to press in. What size metric socket did you use to install new ball joint

advertisement