P1000m5 Do I really need battery ISO for dual batteries

Deltamud

Deltamud

Lifetime Member
Dec 3, 2015
Florence, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I'm not worried about battery drain due to radio, lights etc. Do I really need a isolator just to parallel two batteries for additional current during winching needs. It seems to me this is just one more item in the electrical circuit to go bad. I plan to feed aux devices except the winch with a fuses panel that is powered via a 60 amp relay when ignition is on. I've owned several off road 4x4's with dual batteries and never used an isolator.

Your comments are appreciated.
Thanks

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
If I'm not worried about battery drain due to radio, lights etc. Do I really need a isolator just to parallel two batteries for additional current during winching needs. It seems to me this is just one more item in the electrical circuit to go bad. I plan to feed aux devices except the winch with a fuses panel that is powered via a 60 amp relay when ignition is on. I've owned several off road 4x4's with dual batteries and never used an isolator.

Your comments are appreciated.
Thanks

You don't need an isolator to run dual batteries. Ideally you want to use identical batteries if not running an isolator. Same type, age, and capacity.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The isolator can be handy if you're miles from home, alone, and you or someone else leaves the key on and the battery dies. In this event if you have an isolator, you can get back home without walking because you still have a good battery to start the vehicle. Plus, these are pretty cheap insurance and history tells us that they are reliable.

I didn't worry about it with my foreman 450s because I can kick start it. But there's no kick starting or pull starting a pioneer.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The isolator can be handy if you're miles from home, alone, and you or someone else leaves the key on and they battery dies. In this event if you have an isolator, you can get back home without walking because you still have a good battery to start the vehicle. Plus, these are pretty cheap insurance and history tells us that they are reliable.

I didn't worry about it with my foreman 450s because I can kick start it. But there's no kick starting or pull starting a pioneer.

What he said ^

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
If you're running duels like the size of the stock one you'd have to leave the key on for a super long time to kill the battery though. I'm planning on doing duels and will probably run an isolater for stereo purposes but for pure winching power you might be better off without one. I always keep one of those small lithium jump starter packs with me now after finding out how handy they are to charge usb stuff and how easy it was to jump start a buddies unit too.

I also agree without an isolater they should be of the same size brand and age to live the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I would get an isolator...the Tru utv is a small unit and price (under $60 for just the isolator) for the added insurance and peace of mind. It is life time replacement also, I believe. I called and talked to the owner for 30+ mins and he gave me a lot of great info on using an isolator. Good product and great guy!!

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Soooo running a smaller battery as a backup is a bad idea?

I wouldn't consider a 2nd battery as your back up. The reason for running and isolator is to keep the main battery from draining while the key is off and you are running your accessories. All the accessories should be powered from the 2nd battery. A smaller 2nd battery just limits the amount of time you can run those accessories.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know if the ISO is required, but like everyone else, I think it is a good idea. I think I am going to go a different way then the Tru isolater talked above. I think I will use the Blue Sea Version with the ACR and the Battery Disconnect Switch that alot of other guys are using. I found them for as little as $80 on amazon. The advantage I see in them is that you can total disconnect all batteries but you can also combine both batteries if that's needed. I had trouble starting my 700 this winter when it was cold and I think the main problem is that the stock US battery is too small. (The Canadian 700 uses a bigger battery) I think it would be nice to combining both batteries for starting and then changing it over so accessories run off the second. Just my opinion.

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I don't know if the ISO is required, but like everyone else, I think it is a good idea. I think I am going to go a different way then the Tru isolater talked above. I think I will use the Blue Sea Version with the ACR and the Battery Disconnect Switch that alot of other guys are using. I found them for as little as $80 on amazon. The advantage I see in them is that you can total disconnect all batteries but you can also combine both batteries if that's needed. I had trouble starting my 700 this winter when it was cold and I think the main problem is that the stock US battery is too small. (The Canadian 700 uses a bigger battery) I think it would be nice to combining both batteries for starting and then changing it over so accessories run off the second. Just my opinion.
with the true u can also jump the lugs to start it also if needed

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks @dale5740. I had to do a little researching on the True isolator to see if it had the option of combining both batteries. It looked like I would have to jump them, and you answered that question. One thing I really like is the ease of installation of the True. Looks way more easier and fail safe then the Blue Sea Add A Battery. Thanks again.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I got the kit that comes with the 2 voltage gages as well