P1000m5 Display not working

H

H-town

Jun 22, 2016
Houston, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New to this forum, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently installed a winch on my 1000-5. Everything works perfect as it runs, shifts, but the dash guage isn't working. So i don't know my RPM, Gear, etc. At least the winch works!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well the ovious questions. Did that happen same time,what did you tie into how's the winch hooked up,did you check fuses,dash apart for any reason,any other accessories?

H

H-town

Jun 22, 2016
Houston, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No other accessories (yet). I tied the winch into the cigarette lighter (followed the Honda Winch/Mount instructions laboriously). All visible harnesses under the hood appear to be connected. It's just the dash that doesn't come on. Head lights work. Just wondering if anyone knows the connection i could have not mashed together well enough. Yes, the dash was working fine before I began ripping it apart.

Thanks for the help.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This is the first I've heard of this But I know the factory setup is a rough one. The only thing that comes to mind is a ground loose or off grounds have been a problem on the pk1 but I'm sure you've thought of that. Probably be best to start at the beginning of install and look it over really well for grounds maybe one was taken off? I wired winch direct rather then go through the Honda process. I was hoping for enough info that I may catch something but maybe someone else has had the same problem this place is pretty insightful so hopefull. And welcome to bad not under different circumstances

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I looked around and found a couple of displays not working correctly but all instances the motor wouldn't run and was related to ground wires. Check those. Is the whole display out or do you still have shift indicators? Possibly the plug for the dash but that would be chance I think because you wouldn't have had instrument cluster out

H

H-town

Jun 22, 2016
Houston, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked around and found a couple of displays not working correctly but all instances the motor wouldn't run and was related to ground wires. Check those. Is the whole display out or do you still have shift indicators? Possibly the plug for the dash but that would be chance I think because you wouldn't have had instrument cluster out

H

H-town

Jun 22, 2016
Houston, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got nothing on the cluster at all. It's blank. I may need to take it apart again and start double checking the harness connections :(

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've got nothing on the cluster at all. It's blank. I may need to take it apart again and start double checking the harness connections :(
I wish I had more for you and hopefully someone has had the same problem and it was quick. But since it worked before it is probably a connection that wasn't made again. Could be the cluster but I wouldn't think so. Keep updates please I know this isn't what you want to hear but you might be the test guy on this and could possibly help someone else down the road. Stick around though it's a great group of people here and we all may learn something!

H

H-town

Jun 22, 2016
Houston, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish I had more for you and hopefully someone has had the same problem and it was quick. But since it worked before it is probably a connection that wasn't made again. Could be the cluster but I wouldn't think so. Keep updates please I know this isn't what you want to hear but you might be the test guy on this and could possibly help someone else down the road. Stick around though it's a great group of people here and we all may learn something!
It's probably the cluster. I'm just going to go over everything again. That damn manual makes you take entirely too much stuff off.

H

H-town

Jun 22, 2016
Houston, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's probably the cluster. I'm just going to go over everything again. That damn manual makes you take entirely too much stuff off.

It was the dash cluster plug (sell admitted). I took it out and put it back in, I think that the rubber grommet that seals it to the dash pulled it out the first time. At least that's what I'll use as my excuse :) Honda makes those harnesses with barely any slack.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
i didn't realize the cluster had to be pulled. Don't feel bad I've heard the horror stories on factory winch installs. Even heard a couple places that wouldn't do it because they couldn't make money on the time. Awesome I'm glad it's back going for you! And now we can officially welcome you now that that's over:) glad you chose Honda to cart you around.

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It was the dash cluster plug (sell admitted). I took it out and put it back in, I think that the rubber grommet that seals it to the dash pulled it out the first time. At least that's what I'll use as my excuse :) Honda makes those harnesses with barely any slack.
Glad you found it. Glad I skipped most of the removal steps for my winch install!!

Werk

Werk

May 27, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My entire dash was submerged and display stopped working! When you guys took your display apart did you happen to notice where water could get in and less it up

Reactions: JLH