Dirt Road Fab Spare Holder

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I did not want to side track the storage box thread so started this one. Has anyone bought the bed extender with the Spare holder? If not how about the bed extender only as far as quality etc? Get pricey when get option and freight so want opinions before blow money

Reactions: Squeegee
T

TMCCOY

Nov 18, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X4
They are local to me and I'm pretty close to buying one with the spare mount/rotopax. I can let you know how it goes.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It looks like the best solution for me. New to SxSs, the cost $$$$ of accessories has been :oops: - so when I saw it, I was kinda, sorta prepared. 😢 I haven't seen anything else that comes as close as what I'd build if I had the ability or time. I can't speak to the quality other than 'it looks good on their site'. 😉

Fro

Fro

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2016
Ardmore
I have the bed extender without the spare holder. It’s high quality.

G

Grumpygramps

Jul 7, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is the latch tight, does it rattle?

607FF544 A706 453A A171 8CC20FC74653

G

Grumpygramps

Jul 7, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Latches great and quality’s great. I want to keep the spare down low in the bed. 32 in tire is heavy. I’ve got a 10 in tall storage box coming for the rocks my wife likes to pick up. Gonna do soft coolers also. Whole goal was keeping weight low and not making machine any longer than the 7 inches it adds without the spare tire carrier. Have good visibility with rear view mirror so happy about the good view. Probably gonna do a back up camera for tight trails and loading in the trailer ect. Really isn’t a good solution if you don’t want to add a lot of length and keep weight low but really love the product and think I’ll be happy with Finished product.

38D3C97C 062D 483F 9161 A02445B76218 8117FF50 E702 4D4E 9E83 02131C6FA01B

D

denniswestfall

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2018
US
I'm real impressed with my extender. It's very sturdy. It also works as a quasi rear bumper. The quality is excellent. It came wrapped in a shipping blanket with packing around it. Took about 25 min to get it all bolted up by myself. The latching mechanism works perfect. I dod get a tiny rattle at idle from it. I put a small rubber pad on the end of the swing out and it fixed it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: CID
advertisement
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I got a nice email response from them. He indicated that it is about 18" from honda emblem to back of tire. That is adding a lot to length for me. I really wish someone made one like the YXZ factory one that angles the spare right over the rear box (box had slope too). It swing away and kept weight close. I thought HMF was going to, but they abandoned it.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
The problem with JEI is my problem in that I have a rear chase bar that has turn signals, extra brake lights, backup light and a strobe for dusty conditions. From what I can see, the JEI sets the tire where bar would either be in the way or covered up. I built one that puts the tire up on roof. It works great but I have to remove it every time I want to put car back in enclosed trailer which on short trips is a pain (plus I have to crawl up on car to put spare on it).

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've considered a roof mount too and would have to remove it anytime I wanted it in the garage on the trailer (where it lives). I like the roof mounted chase bars for better visibility. Seems there's no perfect answer. :oops:

D

Dirt-roadfab

Aug 25, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm real impressed with my extender. It's very sturdy. It also works as a quasi rear bumper. The quality is excellent. It came wrapped in a shipping blanket with packing around it. Took about 25 min to get it all bolted up by myself. The latching mechanism works perfect. I dod get a tiny rattle at idle from it. I put a small rubber pad on the end of the swing out and it fixed it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have since added a strip of weather stripping between the latch post and left upright to take care of the rattle at idle.

Thank you to all that have purchased the extender. For those that are considering it please don't hesitate to contact me with questions.

Screenshot 20200510 153827 Gallery

BPINE

BPINE

Nov 15, 2019
San Jose, Ca
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
I ordered one Saturday with the spare mounted on the lower bar, that will get the tire 8" lower. I am mostly a high speed desert guy and the consciences from the suspension guys is you need the weight as low and far back as possible to get the Talon suspension to work as best as it can.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I ordered one Saturday with the spare mounted on the lower bar, that will get the tire 8" lower. I am mostly a high speed desert guy and the consciences from the suspension guys is you need the weight as low and far back as possible to get the Talon suspension to work as best as it can.

Please post some pictures when you get it mounted up.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@Dirt-roadfab question - your site says you can fit a 2 gallon Rotopax on the inside of your extender. It says that's the size that will fit. The Rotopax site has 2 two gallon choices, one with the twist together bottom that measures 17-3/4" x 13-1/4" x 3". The other, without the twist bottom, measures 17-1/4" x 13-1/2" x 3".

My question is - they also have a 3 gallon size that measures 16" x 15" x 4-1/2". Is this close enough in the 16" x 15" dimension to fit you extender? That extra gallon could mean a lot in the desert backcountry with the Talon's smallish 7.3 gallon gas tank. TIA

D

Dirt-roadfab

Aug 25, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Dirt-roadfab question - your site says you can fit a 2 gallon Rotopax on the inside of your extender. It says that's the size that will fit. The Rotopax site has 2 two gallon choices, one with the twist together bottom that measures 17-3/4" x 13-1/4" x 3". The other, without the twist bottom, measures 17-1/4" x 13-1/2" x 3".

My question is - they also have a 3 gallon size that measures 16" x 15" x 4-1/2". Is this close enough in the 16" x 15" dimension to fit you extender? That extra gallon could mean a lot in the desert backcountry with the Talon's smallish 7.3 gallon gas tank. TIA

The 2 gallon Gen 2 can and 3 gallon cans will both fit. I apologize for the oversite.

Reactions: nitrotmann and CID
advertisement