P1000m5 Cruising around

D

Dnorris1369

Jun 18, 2016
North Carolina
Probably a dumb question. But what does everyone use when just riding around. Like going down the road and light field riding. I know ride in high. But two wheel,turf,four wheel??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Use turf. It has to get pretty nasty before you'll ever need the rear wheels locked

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

Dnorris1369

Jun 18, 2016
North Carolina
Guess I was looking for what is recommended to be better for the machine and such. I got a lot to learn just don't wanna do potential damage to machine if I can help it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still learning the machine but so far turf mode high range using the manual shift seems to be the smoothest, quietest ride and it will handle roads, easy, and medium trails with ease. I have no doubt that 2wd lock will handle most loose hills. I don't anticipate using 4wd lock for anything but pulling heavy logs out of the woods or pulling my flat bottom out of the river up muddy banks.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I Agree with Delton. Unless you're getting with it turf is the way to go. It's way easier on tires as well.better mileage and easier on the machine Gravel can be a little sketchy at more speed I usually run 4wd on that but save diff lock for real sketchy stuff or getting you unstuck.and by the way there really aren't stupid questions when you're learning it's better to have the correct information you need without question mistakes can be expensive never be afraid to ask. Hope you're enjoying your new machine and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Reactions: DTAGG
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used to ride in turf but it doesn't like it when you spin the tires . I was going over a wet wood bridge. And gunned it. Doesn't make a good noise. So turf for putting around 2wd the rest of the time.

99Burban

99Burban

May 1, 2016
Michigan
I have a 500 and it does not have turf...only 2 and 4wd. I always cruise around in 2wd because it's easier to steer and less wear and tear on the machine.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Turf low if your going less than 25 mph. The first and second shift seems high rpm but after that it's perfect!

advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also think the machine is more controllable in slippery conditions while in turf mode. With the turf's open diff, when you hit a slick spot you simply lose a bit of traction. But with both wheels locked, rig will try to spin out when the rear end loses its grip. My pickup has a factory locker in the rear end. If you break traction on a rainy road, it'll do a 180 on ya if you aren't careful. I posted a video on YouTube back in January doing a review of my then new sxs. I went through some really nasty mud holes while in turf mode. Just my experience, yours may vary. Void where prohibited by law. For official rules, send a SASE to me, care of this station lmao. Sorry it's late and had one hell of a day at work lol.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
I use turf mode and high range for cruising around. Once you get to know your machine, you will know when you need more than turf.

Reactions: sharp
perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
turf mod is the way to go most of the time. when you get in the grass or gravel somewhere you should try all the gears, that keep them working good for when you need them.

Reactions: sharp
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Turf low if your going less than 25 mph. The first and second shift seems high rpm but after that it's perfect!
I respect your choice but 3rd gear in High range seems right for cruising a LOT of the area I ride. Quite with no lugging.