P1000 Crawler (Moab) Build/Recommendations

IrishLad

IrishLad

Dec 4, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, looking for some advice for a 2018 1000-5 deluxe “Moab build”. I’ve browsed many threads, but wanted to see what you guys recommended specifically for:
  1. Tires (trying to avoid any kind of lift, but will have 1” or 1.5” spacers)
  2. Shocks (I’m torn between the 813s and Fox units)
  3. Skid plates (leaning towards Ricochet armor)
  4. Disconnecting the sway bar (specifically for crawling)?
I’m wide open to any additional thoughts you guys might have. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Isaiah
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, looking for some advice for a 2018 1000-5 deluxe “Moab build”. I’ve browsed many threads, but wanted to see what you guys recommended specifically for:
  1. Tires (trying to avoid any kind of lift, but will have 1” or 1.5” spacers)
  2. Shocks (I’m torn between the 813s and Fox units)
  3. Skid plates (leaning towards Ricochet armor)
  4. Disconnecting the sway bar (specifically for crawling)?
I’m wide open to any additional thoughts you guys might have. Thanks in advance!

Good start there are some $$$$$ super sticky tires @snuffnwhisky will have to chime in what he has. They are so sticky it’s almost cheating.

IGR might be in your future if over30” tires along with front a-arms.

IrishLad

IrishLad

Dec 4, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good start there are some $$$$$ super sticky tires @snuffnwhisky will have to chime in what he has. They are so sticky it’s almost cheating.

IGR might be in your future if over30” tires along with front a-arms.

IGR?

J

JTW

AD4A8FAA 2316 498A ADFB 5405231280F0
9FDA8911 E56D 4E24 B989 68D088D806F0
65C49AC5 4A40 427D ACF5 E7873CB60FB5
E857772D 5FCB 41B8 B2C5 16F4DBD29DDD

IrishLad

IrishLad

Dec 4, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Internal Gear Reduction

Unless you’re dead set on 32” tires it’s not just the IGR there are 3 speed sensors you have to recalibrate and a solenoid that has to be modified.
Hmm... That sounds well beyond my skill set. Maybe in the future! Thanks for the feedback!

J

JTW

Sweet rig and nice shots! Did you disconnect the rear sway bar? Which tires are you running there?
Yeah.. sway bar is off.. forward and rear a arms, 30” berserker tires, 5-2 beadlock wheels, 1.5” spacer on the front, 2” spacer on the rear.. fox shocks.. and the HL 2.5” lift.

Reactions: Tigermark
IrishLad

IrishLad

Dec 4, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah.. sway bar is off.. forward and rear a arms, 30” berserker tires, 5-2 beadlock wheels, 1.5” spacer on the front, 2” spacer on the rear.. fox shocks.. and the HL 2.5” lift.

Awesome, thanks!

advertisement
S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I miss moab....
I would want forward A arms and rear arms to get the extra length. I wish the Pioneer rear axle was further back by about 3 inches. That would really help on ledges.

Reactions: IrishLad and JTW
Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been to Moab multiple times. First time was completely stock, did great but the stock skid plate was pretty much gone by the end of the trip. My next trip I added, Superatv arms front and rear, 30" bighorns on canam beadlocks, ricochet hybrid skid plates, 1.5" spacer in the front and 2.0 spacer in the rear and added a rack for my cooler and extra storage. The pioneer is impressive in Moab, people I ride with are constantly in awe and the 2 seater rzr guys can't hang. I aimed for no lift because I wanted to keep the low centre of gravity. At the end of the day I wish I had lower gearing. At 47 to 1 crawl ratio (stock) it's not low enough. If you compare that to a canam teryx4 which has 67 to 1 crawl ratio. You can see the need. I'm popping wheelies and the teryx4 is crawling it without lifting a tire.

I'd suggest:
Superatv arms front and rear
Skid plates. The ricochet Is nice but some how destroyed two of the skins, I think the 1/2 uhmw skid plates would hold up better.
814 suspension for the extra articulation.
No sway bar, I removed mine completely.
Beadlocks and at least 30s, I kept my air down to 6-8psi

Here's a album with my last Moab trip. Lots of videos to watch.

https://www.facebook.com/dezrik.parks/media_set?set=a.2237367373009892&type=3

Last edited:
J

JTW

I've been to Moab multiple times. First time was completely stock, did great but the stock skid plate was pretty much gone by the end of the trip. My next trip I added, Superatv arms front and rear, 30" bighorns on canam beadlocks, ricochet hybrid skid plates, 1.5" spacer in the front and 2.0 spacer in the rear and added a rack for my cooler and extra storage. The pioneer is impressive in Moab, people I ride with are constantly in awe and the 2 seater rzr guys can't hang. I aimed for no lift because I wanted to keep the low centre of gravity. At the end of the day I wish I had lower gearing. At 47 to 1 crawl ratio (stock) it's not low enough. If you compare that to a canam teryx4 which has 67 to 1 crawl ratio. You can see the need. I'm popping wheelies and the teryx4 is crawling it without lifting a tire.

I'd suggest:
Skid plates. The ricochet Is nice but some how destroyed two of the skins, I think the 1/2 uhmw skid plates would hold up better.

Well said!

IrishLad

IrishLad

Dec 4, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'd suggest:

Very good info, much appreciated!

IrishLad

IrishLad

Dec 4, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Internal Gear Reduction

Unless you’re dead set on 32” tires it’s not just the IGR there are 3 speed sensors you have to recalibrate and a solenoid that has to be modified.

Quick follow up question on this one... Will dealers do the IGR work or is that strictly DIY? Thanks again!