mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
wife & I got back from our walk just now, & the Honda won’t start. It cranks.. not very fast, but it does crank. It just won’t fire.
It’s been getting a lot of short runs lately, not enough, I’m afraid, to charge the battery.
Does it have to have a certain amount of volts to light the ignition? Is a low battery my problem?

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
wife & I got back from our walk just now, & the Honda won’t start. It cranks.. not very fast, but it does crank. It just won’t fire.
It’s been getting a lot of short runs lately, not enough, I’m afraid, to charge the battery.
Does it have to have a certain amount of volts to light the ignition? Is a low battery my problem?

My experience has been it needs to crank full speed. It really seems to struggle starting if cranking slow. I keep a battery tender on mine all the time because I'd have the same issues. Most likely low battery is the problem.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Kind of what I figured..
Tell me this;
Could I jump the starting battery with my aux battery? Would running jump wires between the two mess up the isolator or anything?
When it comes to electrical s***, I’m not too swift.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I would think you could I have before

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Kind of what I figured..
Tell me this;
Could I jump the starting battery with my aux battery? Would running jump wires between the two mess up the isolator or anything?
When it comes to electrical s***, I’m not too swift.
That should be fine but you could take the hot off the isolator just to be sure

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, my gut was right. Jumped it with the Rancher, & it fires right up.
I moved one of the Genius chargers from the shop into the garage & hooked it up.
Gonna make a short, small set of jump cables & add it to my toolbox.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Now I’ve gotta get my ass in gear & get to work.

Reactions: alloutdoors
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Depending on the brand of your isolator, you may be able to ground a lug and it will combine the batteries for starting.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Not familiar with the Genius chargers, so does it charge and then switch over to maintainer? Reason for asking, you can over charge these small batteries and you will know it, i.e., it will be misshaped and damaged beyond repair.

As a tip, I run the maintainer cord through my steering wheel, so I don't start/drive off with it pulled in.....

Reactions: Plumber32 and mjn
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Depending on the brand of your isolator, you may be able to ground a lug and it will combine the batteries for starting.

I'm using the "true isolator" like a lot of the guys on here.

I wondered about that too... could a simple jump wire from one side to the other allow the juice from the aux battery start the machine?

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not familiar with the Genius chargers, so does it charge and then switch over to maintainer? Reason for asking, you can over charge these small batteries and you will know it, i.e., it will be misshaped and damaged beyond repair.

As a tip, I run the maintainer cord through my steering wheel, so I don't start/drive off with it pulled in.....

Not a bad idea at all..

The Genius is a NOCO product. Very cool charger, and yes it maintains.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-UltraSafe-Battery-Charger/dp/B004LWVEKS/?tag=sxsweb24-20

advertisement
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm using the "true isolator" like a lot of the guys on here.

I wondered about that too... could a simple jump wire from one side to the other allow the juice from the aux battery start the machine?
The latest version of the true iso has a 1/4" quick connect on the side of the board. I believe you ground that tab to join both batteries.

Reactions: Firemedic530
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@ohanacreek and I were talking in a thread somewhere. Someone asked the difference between revisions. We looked at the wiring diagram. On the new one, it made mention of it.
I looked on the trueam website. He does not offer wiring diagrams. I will email him and see if he can send a revision log for me.

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought mine 1 year ago and just checked, it does Not have a blade terminal. FWIW.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine bought in May of 17 does not have the combine feature either.

I don't recall the title of the thread, but someone was asking the difference between 2 kits. We figured out it was a revision, and the combine was the revision.

Reactions: JTW