P1000 Corporate shakeup at Honda apparently over quality issues

C

Cook

Feb 12, 2016
Colorado
According to a Motley Fool article at A Big Shakeup at Honda As Quality Woes Persist -- The Motley Fool a number of senior executives at Honda are being shown the door as a result of quality problems. I did not realize that JD Power now has Honda ranked behind GM and Ford in initial quality.

Presumably this article is aimed at the automobile market and maybe none of this affects their ATVs and UTVs. Still it can't be a good sign and makes me wonder if Honda's issues are reflected in some of the problems reported here with the new 1000.

I see this on the same day a new 1000-3 is due to be delivered to me, my first ever ATV/UTV. Taking a deep breath.

Reactions: Delton and pct
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
It's always sad to see a company drop on quality control issues. But you will love your P1000!! Have fun with it!

Reactions: pct
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I wouldn't worry.

Reactions: pct
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Is there a dislike button?
Not a dislike at the post but in the fact that it might be speaking the truth.
I can feel it at my employer also. All in efforts to do more with less resources then last year.
And that sucks for both workers and customers in the long run.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Is there a dislike button?
Not a dislike at the post but in the fact that it might be speaking the truth.
I can feel it at my employer also. All in efforts to do more with less resources then last year.
And that sucks for both workers and customers in the long run.
I agree. How long can you do more for less before something gives. I feel it at work also.

Reactions: Hondasxs
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree. How long can you do more for less before something gives. I feel it at work also.

My wife asks me that all the time, how can you do more with less and how long before something gives. I feel it at home.

Oh wait, wrong forum.....please disregard.

blackdog2086

blackdog2086

Jul 31, 2015
It's the way of corporate America now. Lay people off and get one person to do the work of 3. They claim it's a cost savings (which definitely isn't passed down to the consumer) then they give bonuses to corporate execs totaling in the 10's to hundreds of millions of dollars.

I often question Honda's reasoning of sticking with gear transmissions in their powersport division, and having nothing but CVT's in their automotive side. I personally am glad they stuck with the gear trans in their Pioneers.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just recently started working at Nissan engine plant after 28 years at former job. I'm a maint tech here but was maint. Supervisor at last one. Our Dept has a 500.00 budget per month. I couldn't believe it. I had 5k budget at old job not to mention company credit card with 2500 on it. No way a maint Dept can function on 500/month. That is pathetic. I brought most of my tools I use from home. I have 3 or 4 of everything anyhow lol

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
According to a Motley Fool article at A Big Shakeup at Honda As Quality Woes Persist -- The Motley Fool a number of senior executives at Honda are being shown the door as a result of quality problems. I did not realize that JD Power now has Honda ranked behind GM and Ford in initial quality.

Presumably this article is aimed at the automobile market and maybe none of this affects their ATVs and UTVs. Still it can't be a good sign and makes me wonder if Honda's issues are reflected in some of the problems reported here with the new 1000.

I see this on the same day a new 1000-3 is due to be delivered to me, my first ever ATV/UTV. Taking a deep breath.
Don't sweat your purchase. You will be blown away by this thing. Mine was my first sxs. In my opinion the 800 bucks I spent on extended warranty was well spent. Just in case. Even if I never use it, that's fine with me. Where else can you get peace of mind for 800.00??

Reactions: Tabascojunkie
advertisement
Stimey58

Stimey58

Lifetime Member
Feb 21, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
Most companies use a perverted form of lean manufacturing these days and tout it as a buzzword. Lean in its real form like the Toyota Production System is great for all provided all are rowing the same direction and all have skin in the game. Cost cutting, reductions and lean with no real understanding or lean tools is what we usually end up with. Ive seen and worked in both. It is miserable when "lean" is in motion without the tools to be successful.

Reactions: UTRider
Stimey58

Stimey58

Lifetime Member
Feb 21, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
Also using lean as a last ditch effort to keep a large company from pulling the plug and going overseas seems popular too and seldom works. Ive worked with some big name companies who have wrecked plants by not supporting these efforts and cost cutting first. Its a pure shame.

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
I'm a capitalist myself but I put quality ahead of all other aspects in my own business. A simple concept has quickly positioned me as a leader in my market share. Investors want returns. Returns come from sales and profits. Sales and profits come from quality. I'm a coon ass and I can figure that one out.

Tabascojunkie

Tabascojunkie

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 25, 2016
SE Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm a capitalist myself but I put quality ahead of all other aspects in my own business. A simple concept has quickly positioned me as a leader in my market share. Investors want returns. Returns come from sales and profits. Sales and profits come from quality. I'm a coon ass and I can figure that one out.
Mais bruh?!? How you gone call you self a Coonass in Hattiesburg??? You lost?LOL!!

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
Mais bruh?!? How you gone call you self a Coonass in Hattiesburg??? You lost?LOL!!
riri dur. I'm from the West Bank of New Orleans close to Jean Lafitte. Work brought me to Mississippi about 10 years ago but God kept me and my family there. We have converted to more of a "red ass" lol

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see a strange irony if Honda were to take manufacturing overseas.:confused:

Stimey58

Stimey58

Lifetime Member
Feb 21, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
My machine so far seems to be built well. I know a few guys (to be un-named of course) who work locally at Honda's first US plant in engineering roles. It is widely known internally that the SC plant has had some build quality issues. My local dealer has heard these rumblings and is willing to fix anything I bring to them. I wouldnt worry I think Honda will accommodate the buyers on any of the early issues.

Stimey58

Stimey58

Lifetime Member
Feb 21, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
BTW my earlier posts on quality and lean are from my experiences in general with various employers-not Honda. It does seem to be a reoccurring issue in most assembled items anymore though.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most companies use a perverted form of lean manufacturing these days and tout it as a buzzword. Lean in its real form like the Toyota Production System is great for all provided all are rowing the same direction and all have skin in the game. Cost cutting, reductions and lean with no real understanding or lean tools is what we usually end up with. Ive seen and worked in both. It is miserable when "lean" is in motion without the tools to be successful.
I see a strange irony if Honda were to take manufacturing overseas.:confused:
They did with the Goldwing, no longer made in America

Honda probably moved the Goldwing for reasons we will never know, I imagine it had to do with cost and taxes, versus quality. The fed likes to steal every last cent they can. Companies are buying overseas companies and "moving" their HQ on paper to the overseas location to reduce their tax burden by BILLIONS. People are renouncing their US citizenship because even though they live overseas, work overseas and never come home they are taxed. Plus whatever the country they work in charges them.

When the US is a hotbed of unskilled workers (a skilled worker being anyone with a valuable LEARNED skill that has put forth effort into learning that skill) making way more than they contribute to the economy because of congressmen who want votes. 3 day long time delays because you have to have union a mechanic come change a tire on a service truck. (Not kidding just had this happen we had a job SHUT DOWN for 3 days at $10,000 a day in liquidated damages to the GC, while we waited on a union mechanic to come change another contractors service truck tire that went flat in the wrong place at the worst time. The driver was not ALLOWED to change it)

Ect...we could go on for days why making/selling something in America costs more than many other places.

If WE American's want to stop loosing production, manufacturing, engineering, industrial jobs we need to start teaching people to perform those jobs WELL, proud of what they have done, balance their own checkbook, be responsible adults, and respect other people.

You can't legislate this country into prosperity or morality, only the character driven American working man get make this country prosperous again. Get the governments fat greasy greedy fingers out of every transaction and that will be easier.

People need to grow up and stop asking for a hand out.

STEPS OFF SOAPBOX

advertisement