P700m4 Coolant/heater install

S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
I may be in the wrong place with this. But I am putting together a heater kit for my 700p4 and am wondering what's so special about the blue coolant... $45 per gallon is what I see for price and dangggg that's expensive.. I know I will end up buying some for this.... But is there any other generic coolant that's compatible?

Also. How are everyone connecting them in. Does just a t in the line do the trick. Or do I need a valve to limit flow to push more coolant through the heater lines?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You either need a valve or an inline connector a T won't give you enough flow to get heat the original Honda setup was with a T and they recalled it because of lack of flow.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I may be in the wrong place with this. But I am putting together a heater kit for my 700p4 and am wondering what's so special about the blue coolant... $45 per gallon is what I see for price and dangggg that's expensive.. I know I will end up buying some for this.... But is there any other generic coolant that's compatible?

Also. How are everyone connecting them in. Does just a t in the line do the trick. Or do I need a valve to limit flow to push more coolant through the heater lines?

Prestone coolant will be alternative for 9$ a gallon. All of them have to be low in sulfates. Dont pay 45 for Honda, just search on amazon for Honda coolant for 26 $ free shipping or buy at any Honda cars dealer.
Check with your Pioneer dealer if they ok to use other brands.
Since I did not drain the whole system, I went with Honda coolant. All reviews says that mixing colors (Preston yellow + Honda blue) is just mixing colors nothing else , will give you green hue and not damage your system.

My rationale was just pay extra 16$ and dont try to test this concept/fact. I used exactly 1 gallon and had to refill the system twice, but I always was plugging it to avoid excessive leak/waste of coolant.

http://www.amazon.com/OES-Genuine-Coolant-Antifreeze-Gallon/dp/B005BFM0AC/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Your main pain will be routing hoses :), been there and did it for even smaller P500. Patience to you :) !

S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
With more research it looks like the line for the oil cooler is the place to connect. Are they a 3/4 line? Or 5/8

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With more research it looks like the line for the oil cooler is the place to connect. Are they a 3/4 line? Or 5/8

yes 3/4, ask P700 guys in P500 3/4", just decide what heater you will use first.

S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
The heater core I have is 3/4 the valve I have is 3/4 on 2 outlets 5 /8 on the other 2

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The heater core I have is 3/4 the valve I have is 3/4 on 2 outlets 5 /8 on the other 2

good, try to make it work . I bought valve with changing adapters. Valve is the weakest spot in your system, make sure you will find good place where to mount it and secure it very well so it will not bounce.

S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
Louvered vents... I see them on amazon. Just curious as to if any one has found a better price on them?

H

HondaTech

Honda has used blue in there cars for a while now. But is just now switching powersports products to this type, they tell us it mixes fine with their old green stuff. Soon you won't be able to get the green from your dealer it'll all be blue. It's nothing special, just something they probably got cheaper or meets some stupid government standard they've instituted.