P1000 Converting full windshield to fold down?

Bobby_BAS

Bobby_BAS

Apr 25, 2017
Stearns, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I recently posted about the full windshield I put on my Pioneer. While I really like the windshield, the heat of this Pioneer is now just too much to tolerate for riding in summer temperatures with no air flow coming in... I contemplated adding some vents to the windshield, some airplane pop-in type, but I'm worried it won't be much airflow.

So here's my idea. I've been studying fold down windshields and they seem to basically be a full windshield that was cut in half, had some hinges installed to hold the top to the bottom, then some quick release clamps at the top to hold it up in the closed position. So my thinking is, can I easily convert my full windshield to a full down by adding hinges in the middle and quick release clamps at the top? Has anyone ever done it? Any tips for getting a perfectly straight, table-saw like cut across the center? What do I need to keep it from bouncing around on the hood once it's laid down?

Here's my windshield now:
20170601 094145 jpg45303

Here's the type of quick connect clamp I'd like to use:
51nK1ujiORL SL1100

Here's an idea for a hinge:
S l1600

And the hope would be a finished product similar to this:
S l1600

Reactions: Eltobgi
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So I recently posted about the full windshield I put on my Pioneer. While I really like the windshield, the heat of this Pioneer is now just too much to tolerate for riding in summer temperatures with no air flow coming in... I contemplated adding some vents to the windshield, some airplane pop-in type, but I'm worried it won't be much airflow.

So here's my idea. I've been studying fold down windshields and they seem to basically be a full windshield that was cut in half, had some hinges installed to hold the top to the bottom, then some quick release clamps at the top to hold it up in the closed position. So my thinking is, can I easily convert my full windshield to a full down by adding hinges in the middle and quick release clamps at the top? Has anyone ever done it? Any tips for getting a perfectly straight, table-saw like cut across the center? What do I need to keep it from bouncing around on the hood once it's laid down?

Here's my windshield now:
View attachment 47820

Here's the type of quick connect clamp I'd like to use:
View attachment 47821

Here's an idea for a hinge:
View attachment 47822

And the hope would be a finished product similar to this:
View attachment 47823
I've got the Honda shortie wind shield, works great, can wear a full brim hat at speed, I would think about just changing out your full for the shortie in the summer

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could try a "bugbuster" brand, keeps some rain and all bugs off of you.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First time I rode in the summer I took my half windshield off. I'll have it back on for winter rides but it's nice to have a breeze

Reactions: joeymt33
Bobby_BAS

Bobby_BAS

Apr 25, 2017
Stearns, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've considered removing it in the summer or getting a half windshield for the summer, but I like the protection a full windshield offers in rain. We got caught up in a pretty big scattered thunderstorm on my last ride and the full windshield kept me from drowning inside the buggy. I wish I would have just opted for the SuperATV pop out windshield from the start, but I got a good deal on this one so I jumped on it. My other consideration is just selling this one and buying the SuperATV windshield while it's on sale this weekend...

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Super ATV windshield is only on sale for 10% off. You get that same discount using the code HONDAFORUM anytime. It won't let you use that code now since it's already on sale.

Bobby_BAS

Bobby_BAS

Apr 25, 2017
Stearns, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Super ATV windshield is only on sale for 10% off. You get that same discount using the code HONDAFORUM anytime. It won't let you use that code now since it's already on sale.
No it still works. I used the code RZR FORUM code in my shopping cart to test it and it worked. I've got it saved in my cart for $330 something out the door with tax.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've considered removing it in the summer or getting a half windshield for the summer, but I like the protection a full windshield offers in rain. We got caught up in a pretty big scattered thunderstorm on my last ride and the full windshield kept me from drowning inside the buggy. I wish I would have just opted for the SuperATV pop out windshield from the start, but I got a good deal on this one so I jumped on it. My other consideration is just selling this one and buying the SuperATV windshield while it's on sale this weekend...
Does the hard coat scratch, my shortie has lots of scratches

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's not scratched yet but I've only had it on two rides.
Hard coat is the best bet but remember, it is still plastic. A good rinse with water to clean and a light wipe wipe with a soft terry towel. There are ways to polish it but it will never look like new.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

advertisement
R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would assume you are converting an acrylic windshield and not a glass windshield. The best way to cut acrylic is to line a straight edge up where you would like to cut and score the plastic (you can pick up a plastic scoring blade online or at most home improvement stores) score the same line several times . Then position the score line on the edge of a table or bench and push down on the piece with a light quick motion. It should shear right along the line.

I will second that the coupon code works on Super ATV i purchased my flip-out windshield yesterday with the 10% sale and an additional 10% using the RZR FORUM code. Didn't get free shipping like the site said I should with that code but it was still a good deal.

Reactions: Bobby_BAS
Bobby_BAS

Bobby_BAS

Apr 25, 2017
Stearns, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to update, I've been on vacation, but I did go ahead and order the Super ATV windshield since it was on sale and the additional 10% worked. That sucks you didn't get free shipping @rkwerner , it worked for me. After KY's 6% sales tax, I got it to my door for $343. It was here waiting on me when I got home today. I hope to get it installed tomorrow and I'll try to sale my full windshield locally or on craigslist. I love the windshield, it's just too hot for me with no airflow and I didn't have the nerves to cut it in and half and risk messing it up. I also worried about the top fold of the windshield not working right as a fold-down type, as it's bent inward at the top and wouldn't have rested flat on the hood.