P1000 Concerning the i4wd am I correct in understanding...

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That because of the new i4WD system,
my original P-1000 is going to be highly sought after for having true lockers and I should keep it and not EVER think of selling it?

Reactions: Plumber32
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
my original P-1000 is going to be highly sought after for having true lockers and I should keep it and not EVER think of selling it?
That is the very reason I turned away from the LE and got the Deluxe. The "I" is just one more thing to be a problem in the future.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That is the very reason I turned away from the LE and got the Deluxe. The "I" is just one more thing to be a problem in the future.

Well that's obviously my mistake by not researching deeper but I didn't know you could still get front lockers in any of the 2017/18 models.

But after reading your reply... LOL.

So you can still get either a three or five seater with power steering and regular front lockers like the 2016?

Okie Dokie! Kind of makes my thread obsolete:)

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess the jury is still out on i4WD system. I read a lot of good about it, and strongly considered it before making my purchase of a P1k5 DLX. Price difference and the new i4WD system made me comfortable to go with the tried and true Dlx. But, if the i4WD system is the hit honda is predicting all our machine might be seen as the lessor of the options at some point. Or, like many have said, a lot of us prefer being able to lock em up manually in some situations. Maybe that will be in demand down the road. Time will tell. I do not think your thread is obsolete until that question is answered as to which is the hands down winner, if there ever is one. It might just come down to driver preference. Again, time will tell.

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wanted an LE model for what all they come with, just didn't want the I4Wd. I originally thought the I4WD would be an additional mode along with the 4 other driving modes, that way you could set it and forget it or manually select it. I ended up getting the deluxe 5

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I don’t know how trouble free the I4WD will be but so far I really like it! It go’s thru the snow a lot better than my 700 did. I’ve been hauling firewood out of the woods and going up a snow covered icy hill it doesn’t spin a tire it just keeps going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Been using my I4WD for several months in horrible rocky steep trails and now on snow. I'm very happy with it so far. I'll be using it almost every day till next April. I'll let you know exactly how it did then.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was pretty impressed with @Tramguage1 LE. It *might* not be as good as a locked model in the rocks. But everywhere else I would say it’s better. The *might* depends on the drivers know how and abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

Well that's obviously my mistake by not researching deeper but I didn't know you could still get front lockers in any of the 2017/18 models.

But after reading your reply... LOL.

So you can still get either a three or five seater with power steering and regular front lockers like the 2016?

Okie Dokie! Kind of makes my thread obsolete:)

17 and 18 models were still available the same as 16. Honda just added the LE to the lineup.

Flgator_80

Flgator_80

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2017
Lexington, Tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So got a question. I just bought mine p1000-5 and rode a lot of road miles this last weekend. I put it in H and 2wd. In my mind on the road at high speed 2wd would be the logical route but is the I4wd okay for running full speed? For instance on some flat big trails where your speed is fast for a while. This is my first sxs so just never had any experience with them.

advertisement
H

HondaTech

So got a question. I just bought mine p1000-5 and rode a lot of road miles this last weekend. I put it in H and 2wd. In my mind on the road at high speed 2wd would be the logical route but is the I4wd okay for running full speed? For instance on some flat big trails where your speed is fast for a while. This is my first sxs so just never had any experience with them.

This system operates like alot of newer awd cars. It uses the brakes to stop the wheel that's spinning and force the opponsite one to move instead. I can't see any issue driving with it on all the time. Just be wary of it if your having some spirited fun and trying to slide the rear around in on tight fast trails. It could cause the vehicle to hook unexpectedly.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
When on the trail I put in 2wd and high gear. I4WD before a rough spot. When just gravel roads and asphalt I use turf mode
Like @nbomar said I have not had any trouble getting up some fairy rough stuff.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV

I have had mine in I4wd at pretty high speeds(30-40) i acually didn't even know it. It acually shouldn' t hurt it, because the front is an open diff.

Reactions: Flgator_80

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't EVER sell it, EVER EVER EVER.
It's a Honda, it will last forEVER EVER EVER.
At first I thought CrowHunter started this as a sarcastic jab at Honda (love ya crow... If you're still flying around)...
But, Crow is nowhere to be seen in this thread. I digress. Back to my Makers.

Flgator_80

Flgator_80

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2017
Lexington, Tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This system operates like alot of newer awd cars. It uses the brakes to stop the wheel that's spinning and force the opponsite one to move instead. I can't see any issue driving with it on all the time. Just be wary of it if your having some spirited fun and trying to slide the rear around in on tight fast trails. It could cause the vehicle to hook unexpectedly.
Ahh ya button hooked me! "The Goat" lol. Sorry Adam Sandler back in the day lol