P1000 Comparison of heat from other SxS

R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was just curious. I would like any input from people that have owned other 1000cc side by sides and then the pk1. What is the comparison related to heat on the other units vs the pk1? I know they all have some drawbacks but was curious of the amount.

I am a new sxs owner and a new 1000-5 owner and bought it because of the honda reputation and wanted to be able to take the kids and wife with me. It also seemed like I was always reading posts about broken Polaris utvs and didn't want one like "everyone else" had. I also liked the true locking front diff.
I passed on the 700-4 because of the transmission only having 3 speeds with no low range.
I passed on the 500 because it just seemed too small and no locking front diff.

Anyway, I'm happy I found this site. It has lots of good info and a lot of helpful people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don't have any data but I have some anecdotal info.

-My brother has a friend who owns a Yamaha Rhino (whichever year was the last) and he has stated that it is MUCH hotter than the Pioneer 1000 even though it is a much smaller single cylinder engine.
-I now own a Defender HD8, which is significantly cooler than my previous Pioneer 1000. We rode the same trails for twice the amount of time in warmer weather and didn't get as hot as we did in the Pioneer, but it is a 800 rather than a 1000. My brother, who was dead set on getting a Wolverine and couldn't be persuaded otherwise has now decided he wants a Defender. ;)

One thing that I noticed was going slow in Low Range made it much hotter on the rear riders. Going above 15 MPH seemed to make it much better according to my wife who had asked to be let out to walk home initially but relented when I started driving back at a higher speed in Hi Range the last time we took the Pioneer out in hot weather.

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was just curious. I would like any input from people that have owned other 1000cc side by sides and then the pk1. What is the comparison related to heat on the other units vs the pk1? I know they all have some drawbacks but was curious of the amount.

I am a new sxs owner and a new 1000-5 owner and bought it because of the honda reputation and wanted to be able to take the kids and wife with me. It also seemed like I was always reading posts about broken Polaris utvs and didn't want one like "everyone else" had. I also liked the true locking front diff.
I passed on the 700-4 because of the transmission only having 3 speeds with no low range.
I passed on the 500 because it just seemed too small and no locking front diff.

Anyway, I'm happy I found this site. It has lots of good info and a lot of helpful people.

Welcome to the club Rick, this is a great site for info on Honda SXS. I have learned a lot searching the site. I too have the P1k5 but I did get the LE as it had all the items that I would of bought and installed later.

I purchased mine on the same premise as you knowing the Honda reputation. I will say about the I-4 Dr system it works as stated. It senses what you are trying to do or at least attempting to do . Now I use it in the AZ desert wish is a world apart from those in world of mud where they are having clutch issues. I have had no issues or complaints other than the heat issue wich i am working on. I put on 500 miles in 6 weeks and love it

Reactions: RickMaynard
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Glad that you found us here on the forum. Lots of knowledgeable people and a few crazy ones too but they still have lots of experience and info. If you can imagine it.... someone here has probably tried it and if they haven't............ we will NEED pictures when you try it!!!!!!

Join in the conversation and ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

sargenthp

May 17, 2017
US
Sounds like the Commander is much worse since you are in more of a cockpit, and the engine head is next to your hip.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The pioneer is pretty hot, no way around it. We have a viking, and there is 0 heat issues. We have 2 Polaris 6x6 and you can sort of feel a little heat on the back of the seat, but really nothing worth talking about. My Polaris crew, 0 heat.

The pioneer is the hottest pig on the market.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got back from a 65 mile run with 4 adults and and a big ice chest, went from 5800' to 9500' up very steep forest service roads and NO ONE COMPLAINED ABOUT HEAT! Averaged about 12 mph according to the Garmin GPS.

The P1K ran AMAZING and never wanted to go faster or need more power. The hold back going down was great, rarely using the brakes. We got over 25 mpg. This is the best ride we've had and it now has over 500 miles on it. ++10 for the P1K!

I don't flog it and I don't mud it. We use it like a little jeep...had a great time

J

JTW

Just got back from a 65 mile run with 4 adults and and a big ice chest, went from 5800' to 9500' up very steep forest service roads and NO ONE COMPLAINED ABOUT HEAT! Averaged about 12 mph according to the Garmin GPS.

The P1K ran AMAZING and never wanted to go faster or need more power. The hold back going down was great, rarely using the brakes. We got over 25 mpg. This is the best ride we've had and it now has over 500 miles on it. ++10 for the P1K!

I don't flog it and I don't mud it. We use it like a little jeep...had a great time
Little Jeep? Lol... it's taller than my rubicon on 35's!

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

The heat comes when you get in water. When you are on hard pack it does pretty good.

M

Mays

Jan 8, 2017
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The pioneer is pretty hot, no way around it. We have a viking, and there is 0 heat issues. We have 2 Polaris 6x6 and you can sort of feel a little heat on the back of the seat, but really nothing worth talking about. My Polaris crew, 0 heat.

The pioneer is the hottest pig on the market.

i
The heat comes when you get in water. When you are on hard pack it does pretty good.

I agree 100% with Boomboom907 I have a pk-5 and my dad has a new Viking-6, his has ZERO heat but not the power as my Honda, the more i ride mine the more i hate it just from the heat. I'm in south GA and the heat dont play. I wish there was a fix to this.

advertisement
R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I spent the better part of last night adding, cutting and fitting some heat shield material. Finally got it fitted in and can't wait till the weekend to test the effectiveness. I did take it for a spin around the "farm" before I put it to bed and it does seem to have some engine noise reducing effect.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

While I know the heat peaks up when your in Low going up hills and such I seem to notice it the most when I am in High at sustained speed of 30 to 35 - like traveling down a dirt road etc..

J

JTW

i

I agree 100% with Boomboom907 I have a pk-5 and my dad has a new Viking-6, his has ZERO heat but not the power as my Honda, the more i ride mine the more i hate it just from the heat. I'm in south GA and the heat dont play. I wish there was a fix to this.
There is a fix

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There is a fix

I spent a little time and money and moved on to enjoying my vehicle. Can't stay stuck forever on what Honda should have done!

Heat shield and bilge fan and now no heat problems. Just recently I added something to the dash to help that heat. It's quite enjoyable.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Little Jeep? Lol... it's taller than my rubicon on 35's!

Not mine....hehe

Check this pic of snuffs on my trailer next to mine before I chopped it. It's crazy!

83223145f7f4643a289b06409cb96dc5

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I spent a little time and money and moved on to enjoying my vehicle. Can't stay stuck forever on what Honda should have done!

Heat shield and bilge fan and now no heat problems. Just recently I added something to the dash to help that heat. It's quite enjoyable.
Exactly...well said.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
While I know the heat peaks up when your in Low going up hills and such I seem to notice it the most when I am in High at sustained speed of 30 to 35 - like traveling down a dirt road etc..
Go cruise around for about a half an hour and get your exhaust nice and hot, then cross a stream or puddle going about 15.

You will see what I'm talking about. That ambient heat from the air is pretty minor. Get that cab rolling with 200+ degree humidity.

J

JTW

Exactly... other than clutches it's well known what the problems are and the solutions. The great thing is, they're cheap easy fixes. I

advertisement