P1000m5 Clutch slipping when hot, Time to rethink my hunting rig

AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I finally put the Honda Pioneer 1000 to the test, pulling a Pac Rat trailer about 40 miles out the Eureka area. We went back into Eureka looking for Caribou and Moose. Got back to Tyone creek where we setup camp for the night. It was pretty wet, so the mud holes and hill climbs put a decent load on the machine.

Got into a nice mud hole, and the Pioneer just would not pull through it. Sunk into a muskeg hole and couldn't even spin the tires. Had it in low 1st gear, and nothing. I hit reverse to back out and find a better spot, and reverse didn't have any power either. A 6x6 Polaris ranger and a small atv made it through no problem, then I come through and just sink like a rock. 6x6 had to pull me out, damn honda is a heavy pig when stuck.

The clutch was hot after the ride out. After I felt it slipping, we parked it for the night. In the morning, the clutch was no longer slipping, and we were able to continue the hunt. Had me worried though, 40 miles in with no other machines big enough to tow us out over some steep mountain passes. We took it easy on the ride in, so I was really surprised when I felt the damn thing slipping and lacking power.

I have no doubt the Honda is a capable machine, but it just cant handle some of the country that we hunt. Good family rig for camping and what not, but it is not cut out for swampy/nasty terrain. I will more than likely put it up for sale, and look for a 6x6 or maybe a AATV. When you rely on a machine, 40+ miles back in the woods in Alaska, you need to know that it will hold up, or at least know how to fix it in the field if it s***s the bed. Anybody ever try to fix a burned up clutch in the woods? There might be something to be said about just having to swap out a belt every once in a while.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well, I finally put the Honda Pioneer 1000 to the test, pulling a Pac Rat trailer about 40 miles out the Eureka area. We went back into Eureka looking for Caribou and Moose. Got back to Tyone creek where we setup camp for the night. It was pretty wet, so the mud holes and hill climbs put a decent load on the machine.

Got into a nice mud hole, and the Pioneer just would not pull through it. Sunk into a muskeg hole and couldn't even spin the tires. Had it in low 1st gear, and nothing. I hit reverse to back out and find a better spot, and reverse didn't have any power either. A 6x6 Polaris ranger and a small atv made it through no problem, then I come through and just sink like a rock. 6x6 had to pull me out, damn honda is a heavy pig when stuck.

The clutch was hot after the ride out. After I felt it slipping, we parked it for the night. In the morning, the clutch was no longer slipping, and we were able to continue the hunt. Had me worried though, 40 miles in with no other machines big enough to tow us out over some steep mountain passes. We took it easy on the ride in, so I was really surprised when I felt the damn thing slipping and lacking power.

I have no doubt the Honda is a capable machine, but it just cant handle some of the country that we hunt. Good family rig for camping and what not, but it is not cut out for swampy/nasty terrain. I will more than likely put it up for sale, and look for a 6x6 or maybe a AATV. When you rely on a machine, 40+ miles back in the woods in Alaska, you need to know that it will hold up, or at least know how to fix it in the field if it s***s the bed. Anybody ever try to fix a burned up clutch in the woods? There might be something to be said about just having to swap out a belt every once in a while.

That really does suck that you had problems up there but thank gosh after it cooled you were to limp it. I will tell you from experience though I could change the clutches on my Pioneer with less tools and time then I could change a belt in my Polaris.

Sent from iPhone

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally If the rig is strictly hunting. I'd chose the 500 or viking... don't shoot! But the 1000 is designed for trails and standard work. It seems to me the lower powered units always outperform their expectations. They usually don't break but can't hit 60 mph either. I'm sorry to hear of your problem and hopefully it's an easy fix.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly the 700 should be in that list as well

Sent from iPhone
Yes I agree I just think the 500 could sling skeg with bigger tires. If I was going to build the ultimate search and rescue utv it would probably be the 500 with 28" tires and front and rear winches for a start if you are looking for as close to bullet proof as you can , or the new Argo if you got 30 grand.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sorry you had problems. I rode the same trails you did, towing a meat wagon loaded 3/4 with firewood and the rest gear. We went up and down over Monument and up Yacko Creek. Cane back down and headed up toward Horse Pasture. Went back up Monument still half loaded with fire wood and gear in the trailer. I did get stuck once on the way in through some pretty nasty mucky muskeg. I'm fully skidded with trail armor which I believe contributed to getting stuck. It gets you high centered much quicker and doesn't allow you to dig in and work your way out. I also made a bad decision on my pick of which way to go. The guy I was with was on a 650 Yamaha. His winch was acting up, and it wasn't heavy enough to hold for me to winch from. A Ranger ended up helping me get out. We attached our winch cables together and we both winched to get me out. I was never not able to spin the tires.

I also rode the rock garden out of Moores Camp on the Denali Hwy this past weekend, although I wasn't towing a meat wagon. It's still a very slow crawl up some nasty scree. My buddy took a small cow caribou so it was a quick 24 hour turn around trip.

In all of my adventures into these areas I'm never out of low and I'm always in manual. I rarely run in auto.

I know that when it comes to the really nasty, mucky muskeg stuff up here, I tend to blaze my own trail around it. If it's narly mud I pick my way through it. Towing a trailer definitely complicates things. If I hadn't had the trailer I think I would have made it the time I did get stuck.

I'm still learning how I want to drive my machine, but low and slow in manual in many of the hunting areas here, is the way to go.

Oh, and the Polaris guys took pics... lol. Oh well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ak you are a very tough guy! You need to show more of your adventures

Sent from iPhone

B

Bornlzr

Nov 13, 2015

And from experience when it comes to certain ground conditions it is not always best to be last in line, once you break through the top a little your screwed. Comparison to something lighter and something with 6 wheel drive and was that with or without the trailer? Yes - maybe not the right choice either.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ak you are a very tough guy! You need to show more of your adventures

Sent from iPhone
I wouldn't say tough... but definitely stupid sometimes. One thing I never do is go out alone. I know guys that go out for a week at a time alone. They are the tough ones, and they hunt some pretty remote places.

I always forget to take pictures or turn on the go pro. I have some video from the last two places I mentioned, but I've been busy cutting up moose and caribou, resetting gear, and washing the machine. Hopefully I can get to it soon.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm in the same boat. I can't bad mouth it because if all I did was trail ride this rig would be perfect. Has tons on power and handles well. Modular seating, and isn't loud.

But it's a gutless pig when it falls into skeg. I can't believe my 570 crew could spin tires on skeg with 35 hp, and this can't with 77 hp.

I'm dissappointed to say the least.

advertisement
elmacanuck

elmacanuck

Mar 16, 2016
Ontario ,Canada

Yeah ,,,,I hate hearing this stuff,,,,,,but its a very familiar story that hits home ....

I bought mine for hunting purposes as well ,,,,training hounds and hauling them,,,going back to tree stand,,,,,,etc, etc,,,,

I put nearly every option available,,,, ( full ,cab,full glass windsheild w/wiper, The reverse suicide doors,roll down windows, heat ,defrost, for late fall/winter ,,,,,light bars on front and back for our training is mainly at night ........just went to town on it ....thinking its a Honda ,,,,I will have it forever like,,,,

Had mine for 3 weeks and only ran goat paths and giving the kids a ride down the side-road and at 112 Km the clutches were jerking so bad like a sled with a worn out belt,,,,,so bad ,,,,,,,,,

Took it back to dealer .... was there for a few months and getting it back this week ,,,,,And not real excited about even getting it back to be honest ....

Not to mention if you put some firewood in the back that the balance point is not right on these things ,,,,,,,,so you cant even dump it,,,,

After spending all this money on something you expect to be great,,,,,,,,,, it almost makes me sick thinking about when is it gonna leave me high and dry again....or what's gonna go wrong next ....?

I guess I should have bought a golf cart ....for 2K ....

elmacanuck

Reactions: AZhunter
AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah ,,,,I hate hearing this stuff,,,,,,but its a very familiar story that hits home ....

I bought mine for hunting purposes as well ,,,,training hounds and hauling them,,,going back to tree stand,,,,,,etc, etc,,,,

I put nearly every option available,,,, ( full ,cab,full glass windsheild w/wiper, The reverse suicide doors,roll down windows, heat ,defrost, for late fall/winter ,,,,,light bars on front and back for our training is mainly at night ........just went to town on it ....thinking its a Honda ,,,,I will have it forever like,,,,

Had mine for 3 weeks and only ran goat paths and giving the kids a ride down the side-road and at 112 Km the clutches were jerking so bad like a sled with a worn out belt,,,,,so bad ,,,,,,,,,

Took it back to dealer .... was there for a few months and getting it back this week ,,,,,And not real excited about even getting it back to be honest ....

Not to mention if you put some firewood in the back that the balance point is not right on these things ,,,,,,,,so you cant even dump it,,,,

After spending all this money on something you expect to be great,,,,,,,,,, it almost makes me sick thinking about when is it gonna leave me high and dry again....or what's gonna go wrong next ....?

I guess I should have bought a golf cart ....for 2K ....

elmacanuck

I'll give Honda the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they know of the issues, and plan to fix them in 2017-2018. This was their 1st year model, with the first DCT on the market so I guess it was to be expected that things weren't going to be perfect. Just hope they offer some kind of upgrade kit for those of us who bought the early models, maybe something with lower gearing.

In either case, I did the same as you, went all in on this thing accessory wise, and landed at damn near $25K for the machine. Actually got one of the 1st units in Alaska. Honda has been jerking me around for about a year now, because the damn rear doors have never closed properly (ROPS bent in shipping or something crazy). They have created custom brackets, replaced the ROPS, checked welds, broke parts doing all of this, etc. They called the other day and said they wanted to replace the frame to fix it. It has been in the shop more days than I have had it at home because of the door issue and some other fitment issues. Poorly trained Honda technicians have not helped either, pretty concerning actually after seeing some of their work. Just for reference the machine showed up in Alaska in late 2015, here we are approaching the end of 2016 without a fix. Not because I broke something out riding enjoying the machine, but issues we saw when the dealer put it on the showroom floor.

I told them to either give me a new machine, or buy this one from me and deal with it themselves, on their time. Haven't heard back from them, i'll check in on Friday. They said they had to talk with some more managers.

I'll stop this rant. The machine held up, and got me out of the woods, so I am thankful for that. But for a 1000cc engine and a Low Gear Option with Differential Locks, I should be able to spin 28" tires all day long, no matter what I am stuck in. Either that or break an axle trying. I don't really want to go down the Polaris or Can Am road, but they both make 6x6 machines that seem to perform fairly well.

AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sorry you had problems. I rode the same trails you did, towing a meat wagon loaded 3/4 with firewood and the rest gear. We went up and down over Monument and up Yacko Creek. Cane back down and headed up toward Horse Pasture. Went back up Monument still half loaded with fire wood and gear in the trailer. I did get stuck once on the way in through some pretty nasty mucky muskeg. I'm fully skidded with trail armor which I believe contributed to getting stuck. It gets you high centered much quicker and doesn't allow you to dig in and work your way out. I also made a bad decision on my pick of which way to go. The guy I was with was on a 650 Yamaha. His winch was acting up, and it wasn't heavy enough to hold for me to winch from. A Ranger ended up helping me get out. We attached our winch cables together and we both winched to get me out. I was never not able to spin the tires.

I also rode the rock garden out of Moores Camp on the Denali Hwy this past weekend, although I wasn't towing a meat wagon. It's still a very slow crawl up some nasty scree. My buddy took a small cow caribou so it was a quick 24 hour turn around trip.

In all of my adventures into these areas I'm never out of low and I'm always in manual. I rarely run in auto.

I know that when it comes to the really nasty, mucky muskeg stuff up here, I tend to blaze my own trail around it. If it's narly mud I pick my way through it. Towing a trailer definitely complicates things. If I hadn't had the trailer I think I would have made it the time I did get stuck.

I'm still learning how I want to drive my machine, but low and slow in manual in many of the hunting areas here, is the way to go.

Oh, and the Polaris guys took pics... lol. Oh well.

Towing the meat wagon was sketch, it acted like an anchor at times. The 6x6's would crawl up the steep stuff (fully loaded with Moose and gear), and through the soup without any hesitation. I prefer to go somewhat slower through that stuff, as I have found my fair share of hidden boulders under the muck. The Honda did well back to Yacko, after the machine/clutch cooled down near Tyone Creek. I also have the Trail Armor skids and A-arm guards. I wouldn't have it any other way. They have saved the machine from some of the boulders we bounce/skid over.

I am also thinking all of the added accessories I have on it don't help, extra weight. The machine is fairly heavy to start, then I added a bunch of weight to it. I will keep the Honda more than likely, and start looking at a 2nd rig (6x6 or AATV) to get us through the nasty so we don't have to pack moose meat quite as far! :)

Reactions: AKRider
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've been sitting here wanting to respond but not sure what to say. So I guess I'll just go with how hearing this made me feel. Some people get on here and just want to b**** in general or have a vehicle that's different then what they were use to and miss the belt. That's not your case so first of all I'm really sorry for your experience with the brand. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a machine that's so flawed out of the door. Any time ours has been in the shop something happened. To buy one and have the manufacturer not know how to fix it honestly seems more like the "other" brand then a Honda to me. I have little faith in dealers and wish you were closer to my bodyshop as I know for certain I'd do all I could just to make that end of your problems go away. The other issue with mud well I guess there isn't much that could be done on this end. Maybe tires? It seems great for us that way but I believe you and not sure what to suggest there. I really hate seeing people be unhappy with a Honda and makes me want to help, I believe so much in the brand because of so many failed attempts with others. I truly hope things eventually work out and you're not forced away from what is such a good rig overall. Really sorry for your troubles.

Sent from iPhone

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Towing the meat wagon was sketch, it acted like an anchor at times. The 6x6's would crawl up the steep stuff (fully loaded with Moose and gear), and through the soup without any hesitation. I prefer to go somewhat slower through that stuff, as I have found my fair share of hidden boulders under the muck. The Honda did well back to Yacko, after the machine/clutch cooled down near Tyone Creek. I also have the Trail Armor skids and A-arm guards. I wouldn't have it any other way. They have saved the machine from some of the boulders we bounce/skid over.

I am also thinking all of the added accessories I have on it don't help, extra weight. The machine is fairly heavy to start, then I added a bunch of weight to it. I will keep the Honda more than likely, and start looking at a 2nd rig (6x6 or AATV) to get us through the nasty so we don't have to pack moose meat quite as far! :)

I think we bought them at the same dealer (Anchorage). Honestly, I would call Honda Customer Service and ask them to authorize you to take it to a different dealer for service because the dealer you bought it from isn't fixing your problems. Let them know the issues you have. They will open a case on it for you.

I'm completely disappointed in that dealership. They still owe me a side panel they damaged when my machine was there for a few weeks. I had to call Honda to get them fired up about it, and the dealer still didn't fix my issue... I did, from help on here, and driving it like I stole it... lol.

If I ever need warranty service I will ask Honda to allow me to take it to Hartleys out here. I didn't buy from them because they didn't have what I wanted at the time. I know I don't need their permission, but I want it on record why I won't go back to the dealer in Anchorage.

As for power, mine crawled up both sides of Monument with the meat trailer and weight like a beast. I almost always drive in low/manual and keep the rpms up. I drive it more like a tractor than a SUV... lol.

My only issue now is a leaking left front shock, and I haven't liked the front shocks from the start. I might take it in and have it covered so I will have a spare set... just in case... but I'm also going to put Walker Evans on the front very soon.

I really hope you get your problems solved and Honda does right by you.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Those rear soft doors are just plain poor engineering/design. All they have is a half ass hose clamp holding each "hinge" on the top. Then a gas strut on the front of the door, which forces the front hinge to rotate because the hose clamp can't hold the hinge securely. When the hinge twists, it pulls the front of the door up and forward, misaligning the latch. That's why they won't close, nothing to do with a bent ROPS.
I guess they don't realize that hose clamps are just that, not intended to be used for securing a hinge. :confused:
Shoot and i thought the front upper doors we have were a little poor. I was pretty sure he was talking about the lower doors not latching I didn't see where he mentioned uppers

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll give Honda the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they know of the issues, and plan to fix them in 2017-2018. This was their 1st year model, with the first DCT on the market so I guess it was to be expected that things weren't going to be perfect. Just hope they offer some kind of upgrade kit for those of us who bought the early models, maybe something with lower gearing.

In either case, I did the same as you, went all in on this thing accessory wise, and landed at damn near $25K for the machine. Actually got one of the 1st units in Alaska. Honda has been jerking me around for about a year now, because the damn rear doors have never closed properly (ROPS bent in shipping or something crazy). They have created custom brackets, replaced the ROPS, checked welds, broke parts doing all of this, etc. They called the other day and said they wanted to replace the frame to fix it. It has been in the shop more days than I have had it at home because of the door issue and some other fitment issues. Poorly trained Honda technicians have not helped either, pretty concerning actually after seeing some of their work. Just for reference the machine showed up in Alaska in late 2015, here we are approaching the end of 2016 without a fix. Not because I broke something out riding enjoying the machine, but issues we saw when the dealer put it on the showroom floor.

I told them to either give me a new machine, or buy this one from me and deal with it themselves, on their time. Haven't heard back from them, i'll check in on Friday. They said they had to talk with some more managers.

I'll stop this rant. The machine held up, and got me out of the woods, so I am thankful for that. But for a 1000cc engine and a Low Gear Option with Differential Locks, I should be able to spin 28" tires all day long, no matter what I am stuck in. Either that or break an axle trying. I don't really want to go down the Polaris or Can Am road, but they both make 6x6 machines that seem to perform fairly well.
What dealer did you buy from? I got mine in Anchorage and they had an attitude along with lack of product knowledge.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Whoops :oops:. I guess after re-reading his post, it probably was the lower rear doors. When I first read "rear doors", I just got it in my mind that it was the soft accessory doors.

After reading what you said about the uppers I'd be scared as hell to buy them. That was the worst review on a accessory I'd heard. By your experience with them I could see how you'd mistake that. I'm sorry they were that bad that sucks too!

Sent from iPhone