P1000 Clutch and shifting issue

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys, need help diagnosing a problem with my 2016 P1K3. The problem is intermittent and when it is happening, the steering wheel with "!" light flashes on the display sporadically, not in any rhythm like a code. At random times, when it upshifts from any gear, including from a standstill to get rolling, the engine will sometimes rev for a moment and then the clutches will grab. I don't think it's the clutches because it's not only the 1 3 5 clutch that slips, plus the brief sporadic quick blinking of the dash indicator. The last time it acted up, I killed the engine for a couple seconds then restarted it and the problem was completely gone. Any ideas besides clutches (they would slip more consistently and usually only be the 1 3 5)? Possibly a bad/broken shift motor wire? (I just replaced my fuel injector pigtails for the 3rd time!!!) Thanks in advance fellers!!

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
H

HondaTech

The steering wheel light indicates a problem with the Power Steering.

The shifting issue and the EPS light could be the caused by the same problem.

Does the speed seem to read properly?

Check battery terminals and grounds first. Make sure the battery is good, pull codes of possible. Erase them and see what returns.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Will do. Speed registers correctly. It still has the original battery since I bought it new 5 years ago, so that could be the problem. However, the starter spins the engine like it did when new but I’ve read enough stories on this site about a less-than-perfect battery causing all sorts of problems. What is the perfect voltage at the battery posts when at high idle? Is it 14 volts?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On my '21 1K-5, voltage reads 14.2 or 14.3 when running. Two new batteries.

14 volts should be just fine. How quickly does voltage recover after starting?

A good number of posts here suggest the shift motor can be causal - easy to take off and clean. Also check engine grounds etc.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the replies everyone! My machine stays in a neighbouring city so I'll check it out after work this evening and report what I find.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ding ding ding!!! It’s HondaTech for the win! The very first things I checked were the battery terminals and found the positive bolt was loose by one full turn. I guess over time, the heat cycles plus vibration will work those bolts loose, so if you have any problems, always check your battery bolts and frame/engine grounds for tightness...even if you’ve checked them in the past. Thanks again everyone!!