P1000m3 Cargo Basket

D

Dasmoeturhead

I have this cargo basket, that I use with my 5th wheel when we go camping, so just for the sake of seeing how it fit on the P3 , I gave it a try this morning. I'll see how it works out today on my property . I know this thing can hold a lot, cuz I've used it for the large ice chest, and another lage box we keep the dog food in. What do ya'll think?
20160410 105724
20160410 105710

Reactions: Tot
D

Dasmoeturhead

Yeah, that's nice. I just got through loading it full of firewood,and chain saw, and it's working good. I would not hesitate to take this with me on the trails (in the up position ).
It looks low in the down position, but it's still higher than the rear axles.

FastRedneck

FastRedneck

Mar 29, 2016
Cave City, AR
Looks mighty low to me. I've got one like that we used on the back of my wife's SUV when we tailgate, but it's too wide on the SxS for my liking, plus it's way too low. I ended up building my own rear rack that's welded to the roll cage and swings away to access the bed. It's also removable in under 10 seconds.
Tmp 16042 20160409 092416 701842573
Tmp 16042 20160409 092608534055813

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Looks mighty low to me. I've got one like that we used on the back of my wife's SUV when we tailgate, but it's too wide on the SxS for my liking, plus it's way too low. I ended up building my own rear rack that's welded to the roll cage and swings away to access the bed. It's also removable in under 10 seconds. View attachment 13344 View attachment 13345
I like that a lot being up and removable. Does it fell stable with good weight?

D

Dasmoeturhead

I like your basket. Very well done. I was just tinkering out I'm my shop when I thought to do this, and actually, all I would have to do to get this basket up to your baskets height would be to buy a riser for receiver, as was mentitled earlier. The whole thing can be removed with 1 pin. I also like that it folds up, and is a bit of protection for the rear.

Reactions: Hawk53
FastRedneck

FastRedneck

Mar 29, 2016
Cave City, AR

It feels pretty stable, but I haven't put any weight on it yet. The basket was balanced on the support beam before I welded it on to make sure that the weight would be evenly distributed. And I can damn near pick up the entire rear end of the rig by the basket too. When I was testing it in the shop before install, the basket held my 230# fat ass without any flex either. I took it out yesterday on a test ride and it handled several creek crossing without issue. My main reason for mounting it where I did was to make sure that it wouldn't drag going through ditches, creeks, and other low areas that would drag a hitch mounted receiver. So far so good, but I'll be heading to Sandown Ranch in the next couple weeks to really put it to the test.

D

Dasmoeturhead

It feels pretty stable, but I haven't put any weight on it yet. The basket was balanced on the support beam before I welded it on to make sure that the weight would be evenly distributed. And I can damn near pick up the entire rear end of the rig by the basket too. When I was testing it in the shop before install, the basket held my 230# fat ass without any flex either. I took it out yesterday on a test ride and it handled several creek crossing without issue. My main reason for mounting it where I did was to make sure that it wouldn't drag going through ditches, creeks, and other low areas that would drag a hitch mounted receiver. So far so good, but I'll be heading to Sandown Ranch in the next couple weeks to really put it to the test.
Yeah, I totally get it. Real nice basket. Yesterday I was hauling some firewood, and my saw just to test it out, and when I backed up down hill I did scrape the bottom of it. So it will need to be raised up for any kind of decent trail use. For around my property though ,it works pretty good.bits a little easier loading heavy stuff into it than lifting it into the bed. Makes my back feel better.
Now you will have to fab up a front rack, or maybe a roof rack.

Reactions: Hawk53
FastRedneck

FastRedneck

Mar 29, 2016
Cave City, AR
Yeah, I totally get it. Real nice basket. Yesterday I was hauling some firewood, and my saw just to test it out, and when I backed up down hill I did scrape the bottom of it. So it will need to be raised up for any kind of decent trail use. For around my property though ,it works pretty good.bits a little easier loading heavy stuff into it than lifting it into the bed. Makes my back feel better.
Now you will have to fab up a front rack, or maybe a roof rack.

Actually if you check out my build thread, you'll see that I fabbed another rack before this one that ended up being too small for the back, but turns out it's the perfect size for the front. Once I figure out how I want to build a front brush guard/bumper, I'll make a setup for the basket to mount on the hood too. As for a roof rack, no chance. This rig is way too tall already, last thing I want to do is make something that I allows me to put weight up that high. Don't need any higher of a center of gravity than I've already got.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
D

Dasmoeturhead

Actually if you check out my build thread, you'll see that I fabbed another rack before this one that ended up being too small for the back, but turns out it's the perfect size for the front. Once I figure out how I want to build a front brush guard/bumper, I'll make a setup for the basket to mount on the hood too. As for a roof rack, no chance. This rig is way too tall already, last thing I want to do is make something that I allows me to put weight up that high. Don't need any higher of a center of gravity than I've already got.
Hahaha, I hear ya on the height issue. Up here we hit a lot of branches, so for me I wouldn't be able to use one.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It looks really good. If I had one it would have to be high like that too otherwise it would drag ass. Nice job!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I fully agree I won't even put a light bar on the roof again this rig is so big we wind up using the roof as a skid plate anything up there gets messed up. I won't even put big tires on it we won't get into the same areas.

S

samtoby

May 26, 2016
Calgary
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I fully agree I won't even put a light bar on the roof again this rig is so big we wind up using the roof as a skid plate anything up there gets messed up. I won't even put big tires on it we won't get into the same areas.

Looks great.... i did something similar, but rather welded another receiver under the box to accept a standard cargo carrier that i had.

FullSizeRenderq2 FullSizeRender

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's a good idea. We use a cargo basket as well sometimes but it plugs in down below and sometimes you have to be cautious. We just use it around on roads or campground. They have them work a bar that raises it as well. Could you still use lower receiver

Reactions: dotman1
S

samtoby

May 26, 2016
Calgary
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a good idea. We use a cargo basket as well sometimes but it plugs in down below and sometimes you have to be cautious. We just use it around on roads or campground. They have them work a bar that raises it as well. Could you still use lower receiver
Yes, my lower receiver is still available/unused. If you wanted to use it you could, but you would need a longer hitch on whatever you are going to use it for.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Awesome. I like the lightbar as well. It's funny how little you'll use the other lights now. That curved is the way to go! I only turn on my headlights because my switched are illuminated off of that. Otherwise I wouldn't be using those things. You'll really like it!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey I am curious are you planning at any time to run windshield?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV