P1000 Can anyone help me identify this leak?

Bobby_BAS

Bobby_BAS

Apr 25, 2017
Stearns, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rode about 30 miles yesterday. Towards the end of the ride I was hearing a squeeking sound somewhere in the drive train. It sounded like when a brake pad squeeks going down a hill only it wasn't the brakes. Everything drove and shifted fine so I continued on home. When I moved my Pioneer in the garage a few minutes ago, I noticed this fluid underneath it. It's orange in color and is dripping down underneath the drivers side floor board area.

I'm just a YouTube mechanic so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here. I got it up on ramps so I can pull the factory skid plate off after work tomorrow evening and investigate further. I had the clutch update done a month or two ago and really have rode it since until yesterday. 20180527 205738 20180527 205745 20180527 205814 20180527 210051

Reactions: BWAF
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Looks like BBQ sauce. Did you taste it?

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check your steering column tilt cylinder. Mine puked some fluid out when it was new. Had the cylinder compressed when it happened. Hasn’t done it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it has no smell and doesn’t have the consistency of oil then it has to be rusty water.

Reactions: Deluxe700 and BWAF
Bobby_BAS

Bobby_BAS

Apr 25, 2017
Stearns, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check your steering column tilt cylinder. Mine puked some fluid out when it was new. Had the cylinder compressed when it happened. Hasn’t done it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will definitely check that!

advertisement
Bobby_BAS

Bobby_BAS

Apr 25, 2017
Stearns, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could it be rust leaking from water inside a frame? This is will be orange in color as described.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
I wondered this also but it's too thick. It's thick like grease. I'll get it all took apart when I get home from work this evening and see if I can find the culprit.

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
Bobby_BAS

Bobby_BAS

Apr 25, 2017
Stearns, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm officially stumped. I took the skid plate off. Everything I can see looks fine. I checked my oil levels, all is good. Best I can tell, the shock on the steering column is fine. I have no idea what it is. I guess it could just be rusty water leaking from the frame but the grease like consistency doesn't make sense to me if that's what it is.

From where it was parked yesterday until I got home today, nothing else had leaked out. I'm open to anymore suggestions but for now I'll just continue to enjoy riding it and keep a close eye on everything.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rode about 30 miles yesterday. Towards the end of the ride I was hearing a squeeking sound somewhere in the drive train. It sounded like when a brake pad squeeks going down a hill only it wasn't the brakes. Everything drove and shifted fine so I continued on home. When I moved my Pioneer in the garage a few minutes ago, I noticed this fluid underneath it. It's orange in color and is dripping down underneath the drivers side floor board area.

I'm just a YouTube mechanic so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here. I got it up on ramps so I can pull the factory skid plate off after work tomorrow evening and investigate further. I had the clutch update done a month or two ago and really have rode it since until yesterday. View attachment 77038 View attachment 77039 View attachment 77040 View attachment 77041
Looks like whats inside a water softener!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Assembly lube I guarantee it.....

Ok it's not but looks interesting. Were you storing anything under the driver seat? Where exactly is it coming from after you took the skid off?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plumber32
Bobby_BAS

Bobby_BAS

Apr 25, 2017
Stearns, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Assembly lube I guarantee it.....

Ok it's not but looks interesting. Were you storing anything under the driver seat? Where exactly is it coming from after you took the skid off?

No, there's nothing stored under the seat. Once I got the skid plate off I couldn't find anywhere it was coming from. It's like it was literally coming from inside the frame, which makes the rusty colored water theory make sense, but I assure everyone it didn't feel like water. It's thick and oily feeling like grease. I'm stumped and will continue to just monitor it.

20180529 164822

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had the clutch update done a month or two ago and really haven't rode it since till yesterday

This statement is the key. When the clutch is done if they dont lift the rear end, oil will spill out onto the skid. It would make sense that it found it's way to the driver side rail and ran along it. It could've pooled and not made it's way out until you did some driving. The shop may have tried to clean it up and caused some color change. Or mixing with dirt, clay, water, whatever.

If no more has appeared I'm guessing that's what happened.

Bobby_BAS

Bobby_BAS

Apr 25, 2017
Stearns, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This statement is the key. When the clutch is done if they dont lift the rear end, oil will spill out onto the skid. It would make sense that it found it's way to the driver side rail and ran along it. It could've pooled and not made it's way out until you did some driving. The shop may have tried to clean it up and caused some color change. Or mixing with dirt, clay, water, whatever.

If no more has appeared I'm guessing that's what happened.

That makes sense! Thanks. I've not noticed anymore. Hopefully that is all it was!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4

I'm just a YouTube mechanic so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here. I got it up on ramps so I can pull the factory skid plate off after work tomorrow evening and investigate further. I had the clutch update done a month or two ago and really have rode it since until yesterday. View attachment 77038 View attachment 77039 View attachment 77040 View attachment 77041
Does it feel like oil or just rusty water that dripped out of your frame?

Beyond that the only leaks I have seen are droplets from people not putting on the aluminum crush washer after changing oil themselves.

Worm237

Worm237

Jul 11, 2017
Atlanta, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Ever consider the substance was already on the floor when you parked your pioneer? Did you or did anyone have access to the parking area where u found the stain? Could be someone parking an already leaking vehicle in that spot before you. The Pioneer is not a Harley, it just does not sprout a leak.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW, BWAF and sharp
Bobby_BAS

Bobby_BAS

Apr 25, 2017
Stearns, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ever consider the substance was already on the floor when you parked your pioneer? Did you or did anyone have access to the parking area where u found the stain? Could be someone parking an already leaking vehicle in that spot before you. The Pioneer is not a Harley, it just does not sprout a leak.
No it was not there before. My Pioneer is parked alone in my lower garage. I even posted a picture of where it's coming down from the frame onto the ground. I just checked again and it's dripped again from the same spot. Not as much this time but it's there, again. I'll do more investigating later today. I've been working so much this week that I've not had much time to fool with it, which is why I was hoping someone here could quickly identify the problem to begin with.

Reactions: sharp
advertisement