P1000 Cable vs Rope and what brand of Rope

B

BillChestnutt

Oct 11, 2018
East Valley Arizona’s
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m getting ready to install a winch on my P1000-5 . Years ago I had a winch on my full sized 4x4 but cable was the only option then. What’s the upside of using rope and who makes a quality product?

Reactions: Ridinfool and TxDoc
Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Synthetic rope all the way for me. It doesn't bind on the spool, easy on the hands with no fraying, and it free spools very easy. It is a lot stronger than it looks too. The club store sells a good one. Don't think you will go back to cable after having it.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wire rope pros: Cheaper, better at abrasion resistance, not affected by UV.
Cons: heavier, can rust, more dangerous if it breaks, handling more difficult, wire "fish hooks".

Synthetic rope Pros: Lighter weight, easier handling, stores less energy so safer, no rust!
Cons: More expensive, abrades easily against rocks etc. so requires protection, UV degrades.

There are a number of sources for UHMW-PE fiber rope, trade names are Dyneema, Spectra, etc, but much of the offerings on Amazon etc. are doubtless unbranded from China.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Synth all the way.

Cable sucks. Frays, binds, kinks, and tears up your fairlead. And it's prone to whipping if it breaks. (No, it's not going to cut you in half.)

Synth is inexpensive, and none of the above.

I bought a two pack of 7-8000 lb synth for $50, and have been using the first one for over a year with flawless performance over dozens of winches. The backup line is in the back if needed, I can swap it out in a minute.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your winch comes with cable, switch it to synthetic before you even use it. That way, you can use the roller fairleads with synth before the cable carves them up. I've had no reason to go to a hawse fairlead.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
If your winch comes with cable, switch it to synthetic before you even use it. That way, you can use the roller fairleads with synth before the cable carves them up. I've had no reason to go to a hawse fairlead.
^^^Pro Tip^^^

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Synthetic rope all the way for me. It doesn't bind on the spool, easy on the hands with no fraying, and it free spools very easy. It is a lot stronger than it looks too. The club store sells a good one. Don't think you will go back to cable after having it.

Synth all the way.

Cable sucks. Frays, binds, kinks, and tears up your fairlead. And it's prone to whipping if it breaks. (No, it's not going to cut you in half.)

Synth is inexpensive, and none of the above.

I bought a two pack of 7-8000 lb synth for $50, and have been using the first one for over a year with flawless performance over dozens of winches. The backup line is in the back if needed, I can swap it out in a minute.
These pretty much sum it up, rope for me, just carry a spare just in case, (you can snap cable also) try carrying a spare cable… rope wins .

B

BillChestnutt

Oct 11, 2018
East Valley Arizona’s
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the input! Looks like I’ll be switching out the cable as soon as I get the winch.Could the cable be used as a lot be extender for longer pulls or it to bulky to haul around?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the input! Looks like I’ll be switching out the cable as soon as I get the winch.Could the cable be used as a lot be extender for longer pulls or it to bulky to haul around?
Too bulky and inconvenient . . . that, considering you can get a spare 50' synthetic rope for about $20. Or you can spend $80 for one too. My spare was around $24. I have both a spare for the winch and another with thimbles at both ends as a line extender. So many choices!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Use the cable to tie out the dog. Or attach one end to a neighbor you don’t like brake line and the other end to their mailbox or tree or whatever looks “fun”

advertisement