P1000 Bought one of These

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Easy question. All of these are made essentially the same. The loop attaches to the bar with the red screw in pin. What prevents the red screw from backing out and getting lost when there is no load on it and it is not in use?

hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a different brand b ut the same thing. I just hand tighten the screw and have never had a problem with it backing out, including the years I had it on my jeep wrangler. The screw on mine is rough when it does turn.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jbird
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I have lost them before on my jeep and Honda. There is a direction that helps!) I try and remember to screw it in so that when it swings down it doesn't loosen....I have found it right before it came all the way off and every time it was screwed in that direction. But if there is resistance like some then it shouldn't back out anyway.

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I tighten the pin with my leatherman, gives you that half turn your fingers just can't quite get and I've never had it come loose. Just gotta be sure you always have your leatherman with you in case you need to get it out, of course a crescent wrench would work too

Reactions: sharp and Hometeam
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it is something I need to keep in place for an extended time I've safety wired the pin to the clevis to keep it from loosening.

View attachment 21711
Very cool. Used to have safety wire and the twirling pliers to install it when I was in the Air Force. Would be handy for a lot of things. Wonder where we could buy one now?

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Easy question. All of these are made essentially the same. The loop attaches to the bar with the red screw in pin. What prevents the red screw from backing out and getting lost when there is no load on it and it is not in use?

View attachment 21555

I have one of those but the smittybilt one. The bolt backing out is an issue. I just put a wrench on it and tightened it down pretty well. Seems to have taken care of it. If it does it again then I will just put some locktite on the threads. Can really see me needing to remove the ring as the loop is big enough to run a strap through or hook a winch line to. If I am stuck enough that I need to loop the winch line then I will deal with that when it happens.

CarneyRacing

CarneyRacing

Oct 19, 2015
Very cool. Used to have safety wire and the twirling pliers to install it when I was in the Air Force. Would be handy for a lot of things. Wonder where we could buy one now?

Tons of places carry safety wire and pliers. Amazon, McMaster.com, harbor frieght, jegs, LPUSA, etc. They are very handy to have, and are a must-have for any kind of motorsports. .032" wire is kind of a catch all; I've found it quite handy to have a smaller size as well for fine stuff, I think the other size I have is 0.020" and I just tape the two sized cans together.

Reactions: Jbird