P1000 Bogging down in Mud

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
Well took the P1000 out last weekend to a mud event and was having issues with my sxs bogging down and shutting off. I was using low gear in 4 wheel diff lock. I didn't approach the mud with high speeds but more eased up to the edge and gunned it into the hole which brought the sxs to a stop eventually due to not being able to turn the tires.

The tires I am running are 28x10x14 Moto bosses which are quite heavy but I would think the 1000 would be capable of handling them well but could be wrong.

Could I be having an issues with the tranny/something else or does this just sound like the Pioneer doesn't have the power to pull these tires.

Don't get me wrong I love my P1000-5 Deluxe but am just seeing if anyone is having similar issues as me or if I have an issue in another area that I need to look to get this problem solved. My Can-AM and Polaris buddies were loving the fact of watching me not turning my smaller tires and sxs shutting off when under a bind (which could be a safety feature from what I've heard).

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here's a video of my vehicle turning 30s in the mud. I had it locked in four-wheel-drive lock so all four tires were turning.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Here's a video of my vehicle turning 30s in the mud. I had it locked in four-wheel-drive lock so all four tires were turning.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Looks like it is high centered in that video. Id like to see a video of it digging and throwing some clods...thats where you really need the power.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hopefully at the group ride this weekend we will have some more experience and videos to share with you.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Reactions: DGann
HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
high centered a 5hp briggs will turn the wheels. What about thick nasty sucked in mud? In low range I'd imagine it should turn about any tire that fits. ?? Tryin to back out ...is this where the clutch would get smoked?

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
What I was in was nothing like that. You seem to be sitting on frame high centered. I was more in a suction of this mud. But needless to say my buddies Polaris General which I steered clear of and a Maverick went through it with out problems.

You also seem to have a more all terrain tire on your sxs which mine or more luggy and aggressive.

Once again don't think I'm bashing my machine nor do I believe i am riding it in which it was intended. But needless to say there were other sxs going through the same hole with out problem. Wish I could have gotten video of it but the alchol didn't have me thinking well lol.

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
Here is one of the sxs with tires and the other pictures is of one of the but really can tell what the mud/situation looks like. But this was the worse holes out of the 2. The one I don't have a picture of I would have thought would of been no problem to turn tires in.

20160329 191548 FB IMG 1460058761534

A

aquatic1998

Dec 23, 2015
I'm running 31 outlaws and mine hates the thick mud. My bike has never stalled out but it definitely will not turn aggresive tires in the peanut butter. I kept it in 4wd to (no diff lock) and still struggled. Everyone was getting stuck but at least they were slinging the mud. Alittle disappointing but I don't ride in that stuff often. Hopefully someone comes out with something that will help.

Reactions: LaVell
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Here is one of the sxs with tires and the other pictures is of one of the but really can tell what the mud/situation looks like. But this was the worse holes out of the 2. The one I don't have a picture of I would have thought would of been no problem to turn tires in.

View attachment 13193 View attachment 13194

The pioneer 1000 does not have the cvt and clutch setup to let it build up rpms enough to start spinning the tires. Pretty much the clutch is engaged right away. Leaves no room for the engine to build up any power. Be careful in that thick mud you will smoke the clutch. I had mine in 4wd low and smoked it. Watched my buddies viking go thru the same hole and get stuck. He spent 2 hours trying to get out but at the end of the day is ride was driving normal. My pioneer was slipping

Reactions: adnoh
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
With that being said is why I went with the lightest 28 I could find. Went with the swamp lites. Very deep tread. When they load up the pioneer will sling the crap out of the mud. I've been thru alot of thick crap even with the clutch slipping at take off and it would go thru stuff easier than other people went thru it. Justin21. Try a different tire. Lighten the load up

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Sent from my iPhone 10s
Hey joeymt33 I'm really jealous of that iPhone! Did you have the auto tracking hover app on for this video?:)

Reactions: Stauvo and joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was curious about the iphone 10s also or is this an inside joke? :)
They are only up to 7 in September. I just thought using that for his signature was damn funny!

Reactions: joeymt33 and Stauvo
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
so i caught a load of crap about this early on. i noticed this specific issue. i am running th 30" motoboss tires, excellent UTV tire BTW.

I believe its a combination of issues:
1. 1st gear is too high
2. LO isnt low enough
3. I'm pretty sure they are taking out timing on the low end like kawie does
4. By design, there's really no slip in the clutch system (we'll except for when they fail). So they are engaging the clutch at an RPM outside of the power band so it isn't engaging under higher power and gernading it

In talking to power commander about their newly released PC-V for the P1000, not only does it adjust fuel.... it also adjusts timing. I'm hoping that with installation of this, you'll really be able to wake it up. I know with my big red 700 i was able to run 29.5 outlaws and 30 silverbacks effectively. I've also in a few cases experienced a situation that the engine sounds and acts much like when you engage a standard transmission passenger vehicle at too low of an RPM. I believe it's detonating.... possibly with the PC-V and an autotune with lambda O2 sensor (OEM is narrow band), this machine could really be woke up. Just trying to save my pennies to get the PC-V and autotune together. Found a retailer on-line that sells them together for between 5-600.

Reactions: Scooterchris
Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
so i caught a load of crap about this early on. i noticed this specific issue. i am running th 30" motoboss tires, excellent UTV tire BTW.

I believe its a combination of issues:
1. 1st gear is too high
2. LO isnt low enough
3. I'm pretty sure they are taking out timing on the low end like kawie does
4. By design, there's really no slip in the clutch system (we'll except for when they fail). So they are engaging the clutch at an RPM outside of the power band so it isn't engaging under higher power and gernading it

In talking to power commander about their newly released PC-V for the P1000, not only does it adjust fuel.... it also adjusts timing. I'm hoping that with installation of this, you'll really be able to wake it up. I know with my big red 700 i was able to run 29.5 outlaws and 30 silverbacks effectively. I've also in a few cases experienced a situation that the engine sounds and acts much like when you engage a standard transmission passenger vehicle at too low of an RPM. I believe it's detonating.... possibly with the PC-V and an autotune with lambda O2 sensor (OEM is narrow band), this machine could really be woke up. Just trying to save my pennies to get the PC-V and autotune together. Found a retailer on-line that sells them together for between 5-600.

Thank you for the insight. I agree with you in alot of ways as far as gearing. It's like there is plenty of power on the get go but as soon as suction takes place on the tires there is no spinning them and then the motor has a kill switch in it when it is put in a bind. I will try the next time I ride to get video of what mine was doing.

I was going to call Honda to see if this would be covered under warranty if some is malfunctioning in my motor/trans but a buddy of mine said Honda will not touch it until they know the specific cause of what going on.

I also will be looking into the PC-V which I didn't realize they had a programmer out for them yet. Just not sure I want to go that way being alot of times it most efficient to change the exhaust (which I would rather not do, do to noise being I use my sxs around the house and for hunting/riding in the woods).

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
Thank you for the insight. I agree with you in alot of ways as far as gearing. It's like there is plenty of power on the get go but as soon as suction takes place on the tires there is no spinning them and then the motor has a kill switch in it when it is put in a bind. I will try the next time I ride to get video of what mine was doing.

I was going to call Honda to see if this would be covered under warranty if some is malfunctioning in my motor/trans but a buddy of mine said Honda will not touch it until they know the specific cause of what going on.

I also will be looking into the PC-V which I didn't realize they had a programmer out for them yet. Just not sure I want to go that way being alot of times it most efficient to change the exhaust (which I would rather not do, do to noise being I use my sxs around the house and for hunting/riding in the woods).

Just placed the order for the tuner and auto tune... 2 weeks i'll have feedback and some custom programs available so folks wont need to purchase the autotune.

advertisement