Blown motor?

B

Bucknasty14

Aug 23, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a regularly maintained and well taken care of 2016 1000-5. Only 2500 miles.

So this weekend after about a 60 mile drive. Right toward the end of the drive going 15 thru town, oil light came on and shortly after a loud boom. Towed it home and so far noticed a hole on the top of the engine case by the oil dip stick.. oil on the ground. Dropped it off at the dealer to be worked on... hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Anyone have a clue what the cost would be on a new motor if that's needed? It's not an easy thing to search for on the net and know what to find... hoping possibly only need a rebuild but who knows right now. I'm freaking out about my injured baby.

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a regularly maintained and well taken care of 2016 1000-5.

So this weekend after about a 90 mile drive. Right toward the end of the drive going 15 thru town, oil light came on and shortly after a loud boom. Towed it home and so far noticed a hole on the top of the engine case by the oil dip stick.. oil on the ground. Dropped it off at the dealer to be worked on... hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Anyone have a clue what the cost would be on a new motor if that's needed? It's not an easy thing to search for on the net and know what to find... hoping possibly only need a rebuild but who knows right now. I'm freaking out about my injured baby.
A hole in an engine case is going to be far more than a rebuild but I wish you the best of luck.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Have a regularly maintained and well taken care of 2016 1000-5.

So this weekend after about a 90 mile drive. Right toward the end of the drive going 15 thru town, oil light came on and shortly after a loud boom. Towed it home and so far noticed a hole on the top of the engine case by the oil dip stick.. oil on the ground. Dropped it off at the dealer to be worked on... hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

i know the 700 goes for about 3-4k for the motor but the trans is included along with oil pump and all. sounds like you slung a rod. which being the oil light came on prior it was probably oil pump which caused it. rebuild for sure with a case and both pistons and connecting rods. if they can do rebuild id go that route . unless you just find a motor for sale. id definitely ask for a quote on both from the mechanic. after they find the cause of it. rebuild on a 700 depending on where your at but if only doing motor side is roughly 1200-1800 depending on the shop. just to give you an idea.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Almost sounds like something let loose in the trans. Depending exactly where the hole is there’s a back cover there, might’ve spared the block.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ooohhh dang, sorry bout your luck…😕 a friend of mine has a 16 LE that threw a rod through the bottom of the case, first estimate was 8K plus labor to R&R it. Somehow how took it to a dealer and they where able to get him a new motor installed and got it done under a warranty claim.

B

Bucknasty14

Aug 23, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's these guys. I remembered someone linking to them before. Hope it all works out for you, please let us know when you find out!

That the only link I could find with a full motor. Thanks
Are you the original owner?
No. Third owner. First was a rich guy with airplanes and his own mechanic to work on his stuff. 2nd guy used it around his cabin only and then me

advertisement
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That the only link I could find with a full motor. Thanks

No. Third owner. First was a rich guy with airplanes and his own mechanic to work on his stuff. 2nd guy used it around his cabin only and then me
Hmm, about 20 years ago I had 5 planes. I did my own work, not being really a "rich guy" to my way of thinking, and 5 planes was too many. Gettin' older, down to just one, the "off road" Aviat Husky in my avatar.

On top of Mt. Siegel in the Pinenut range, Nevada (we try to avoid rock crawling, but can make really impressive leaps and spectacular jumps!).

G6qDbRi

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
OP, has the P1K5 been serviced on schedule? Any engine modifications:? Were you using OEM Honda oil filters and Honda oil?

Reactions: Blownzuki
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yup. Always maintained on schedule and always bought the full honda oem oil change kit
How fast were you driving when it failed? Has the machine been driven at high speed (high rpm operation) for long periods?

I'm not trying to pin blame on you, just trying to eliminate possible causes. Mechanical failures do occur. They are not common to Honda or any new brand name machines but it's not impossible that a piston rod simply fractured due to manufacturing defect.

Did you hear a momentary rod knock before it separated and broke the case?

A tear down inspection may answer a lot of questions.

Could be sudden loss of oil pressure, rod bearing failure, rod cap nuts loosened, or rod fracture. Who knows?

Reactions: Blownzuki
B

Bucknasty14

Aug 23, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How fast were you driving when it failed? Has the machine been driven at high speed (high rpm operation) for long periods?

I'm not trying to pin blame on you, just trying to eliminate possible causes. Mechanical failures do occur. They are not common to Honda or any new brand name machines but it's not impossible that a piston rod simply fractured due to manufacturing defect.

Did you hear a momentary rod knock before it separated and broke the case?

A tear down inspection may answer a lot of questions.

Could be sudden loss of oil pressure, rod bearing failure, rod cap nuts loosened, or rod fracture. Who knows?
I did a 60ish mile ride during the day all on marked trails where there's really no where to open it up. I was back driving thru town later on going 15 and the oil light came on followed very shortly by the boom. Only time I've really had it up to 55 is driving down the road to the park half mile from my house.

I know you're not trying to pin blame. Either way I have to get it fixed. Just really wanted to see if anyone has dealt with it and try to get some sort of idea of costs. The dealer/service i brought it to said they have never had to do a motor change or rebuild on a 1000 b4 either so it clearly isn't common. They are 2 to 3 weeks out to get it in to tear it down to see what actually happened.

I have sent an inquiry to Honda about it just to see if they have any input cuz 2500 miles isn't s*** for a Honda motor.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did a 60ish mile ride during the day all on marked trails where there's really no where to open it up. I was back driving thru town later on going 15 and the oil light came on followed very shortly by the boom. Only time I've really had it up to 55 is driving down the road to the park half mile from my house.

I know you're not trying to pin blame. Either way I have to get it fixed. Just really wanted to see if anyone has dealt with it and try to get some sort of idea of costs. The dealer/service i brought it to said they have never had to do a motor change or rebuild on a 1000 b4 either so it clearly isn't common. They are 2 to 3 weeks out to get it in to tear it down to see what actually happened.

I have sent an inquiry to Honda about it just to see if they have any input cuz 2500 miles isn't s*** for a Honda motor.
Post up some pics of the hole you see in the case.

Reactions: PJ1 and Blownzuki
advertisement