P1000 Best upgrade shocks for 2017 1000 M3

H

Hobblecreek

Aug 10, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’m a new Honda SxS owner. Got a great deal on a 2017 that only had 300 miles. The trails I’m riding are a bit rocky. I’m a bit disappointed in the suspension. I either go really slow or get bounced all over the place. Razors fly right past me. I read some info on Fox, Elks and Walker Evans shocks. I’m not sure which brand is considered the best for my situation. I can get a great deal on some Walker Evans but if one of the others are significantly better I’d spend the extra money. Is there a consensus on which shock brand is the top upgrade?

Reactions: TripleB and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m a new Honda SxS owner. Got a great deal on a 2017 that only had 300 miles. The trails I’m riding are a bit rocky. I’m a bit disappointed in the suspension. I either go really slow or get bounced all over the place. Razors fly right past me. I read some info on Fox, Elks and Walker Evans shocks. I’m not sure which brand is considered the best for my situation. I can get a great deal on some Walker Evans but if one of the others are significantly better I’d spend the extra money. Is there a consensus on which shock brand is the top upgrade?
Welcome to the club. A lot of guys run Fox shocks and some guys run Elka. Then there are a few 814’s and Walker Evans users out there. You’re not going to compete with RZR’s on the trail, they are set up for the trail and your rig really isn’t, having said that, the shocks will help considerably. Bigger tires help as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: TxDoc and TripleB
TI722

TI722

Feb 26, 2019
IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Other Brand
I'm running Elka Stage 3 on the front and Stage 4 on the rear and I'm really happy with them. Head and shoulders above the 814's I had.

Drop the extra money and go with Elka or Walker Evans. They will be set up for your style of riding and machine. Just be honest with the rep when you order them. I did fine tune mine a little, added a little preload and backed the compression off a few clicks and now they're great.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'm running Elka Stage 3 on the front and Stage 4 on the rear and I'm really happy with them. Head and shoulders above the 814's I had.

Drop the extra money and go with Elka or Walker Evans. They will be set up for your style of riding and machine. Just be honest with the rep when you order them. I did fine tune mine a little, added a little preload and backed the compression off a few clicks and now they're great.

Agree. I recently rode in a P1K5 with Ella Stage 5 shocks on it. That thing rode better than a stock RZR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elvis8310

Elvis8310

Jan 2, 2021
Edmond, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I am looking at buying stage 4 elks for all corners. Why did you use stage 3 infront?

TI722

TI722

Feb 26, 2019
IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Other Brand
I am looking at buying stage 4 elks for all corners. Why did you use stage 3 infront?
The Elka rep I talked to said the 3 would be fine for the front for the type of riding I do. The 4 have a rebound and compression clicker to give more adjustment to tune out bucking you may get when hauling heavier or lighter gear in the bed and he thought I would want that. I can honestly say I've never ran into that issue but I do adjust the compression clicker from our everyday riding to when we go to TN and hit the trails down there and the shocks work great in both places.