P1000 Best Synthetic Winch Rope Replacement for OEM 1000-5 Limited Edition

C

ChairMtn

Nov 10, 2018
Denver
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am prepping for an upcoming moose hunt in Colorado and would like to replace my steel cable on my stock with that came with my 2016 1000-5 LE, the only problem is I can't seem to find the actual spec on the installed winch and the machine is 4 hours away at my cabin. Does anyone know the model that comes on the LE and bonus points for best synthetic rope replacement? Going for length here, but don't want to go too light in case I need some more breaking strength. Advice is appreciated. Thank you.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I am prepping for an upcoming moose hunt in Colorado and would like to replace my steel cable on my stock with that came with my 2016 1000-5 LE, the only problem is I can't seem to find the actual spec on the installed winch and the machine is 4 hours away at my cabin. Does anyone know the model that comes on the LE and bonus points for best synthetic rope replacement? Going for length here, but don't want to go too light in case I need some more breaking strength. Advice is appreciated. Thank you.
First post in 6 years........👏👏👏

🤔...I don't think the LE was available in 16' though.........but maybe🤷‍♂️

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Amsteel Blue synthetic rope
3/8" 17,600 pounds break - 8-12k pound winch pull.
Link to Amsteel synthetic rope

Correction / Edit 5/16" Viper Elite widespool. 6000#
12,300 # break, 6-8k# winch.
65' on the spool.
5/16" Amsteel blue

A month ago I grenaded my 6000# Viper on a pull I shouldnt had .. also got what I paid for with the $20 buck Azon extendable rope - garbage, its just rope.

Share a Pic of the moose and your rig.
Good luck, good moose call grunt tube..

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Also, if you swap from cable to rope you're going to want a fixed fairlead not the roller you most likely have on for the cable. You'd also be wise to check the drum on the wench because the steel cable can eat away at it sometimes and in turn it will chew up the new rope as well. Just some things to think about 👍

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Amsteel Blue synthetic rope
3/8" 17,600 pounds break - 8-12k pound winch pull.
Link to Amsteel synthetic rope

Share a Pic of the moose and your rig.
Good luck, good moose call grunt tube..
Dat's sum cerious overkill fer a 2k lb. SxS, Dude. And you'll get half as much line on your winch. I carry 100' of the 3/8" Amsteel as a winch extension though.
1662251599277 png

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I replaced my steel cable with cheap Amazon 1/4 inch synthetic rope. You can't beat 20 bucks. I winch stuff all the time with no issues. I replace it once a year, maybe 2 years. I always carry a extra with me just in case I break one. Which almost never happens. You will also wanna get a Hawse fairlead to replace your roller one. Another $10-20 from Amazon.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
And a good anchor strap for the opposite end - couldn’t imagine dead pulling a 1200# or so moose unless it’s kinda alive and helping you out.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
And a good anchor strap for the opposite end - couldn’t imagine dead pulling a 1200# or so moose unless it’s kinda alive and helping you out.
If that moose is kinda alive and helping me out, I be prayin' that my buggy is faster than that injured, and now really, really angry, moose. :oops:

advertisement
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

The LE never came with a winch and wasn't offered until 2018.

Maybe you have a later model SE? Or perhaps the winch was dealer installed

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I replaced my steel cable with cheap Amazon 1/4 inch synthetic rope. You can't beat 20 bucks. I winch stuff all the time with no issues.
Same here. I went with a $20 ones and figured I'd carry a spare and see how they hold up before dropping 4x on the Amsteel.

I've beat the snot out of the first one for 3 seasons now just waiting for it to give in, and it hasn't.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X

4. Talon R

5. Talon R LV
Same here. I went with a $20 ones and figured I'd carry a spare and see how they hold up before dropping 4x on the Amsteel.

I've beat the snot out of the first one for 3 seasons now just waiting for it to give in, and it hasn't.
You guys need a fast Fid kit which allows you to stitch a broken rope back together. You might lose a foot or 2 of length but a much quicker repair, especially in the filth. I have one of these kits in all of my SxSs

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
RED ALERT DANGER

Some iffy advice in some posts.

Okay, firstly knotting a rope weakens it by about 50%. You do not want to tie knots in your winch rope. Learn how to splice the rope to fix a break, almost no loss of strength that way (carry a fid - they are cheap). Carry extra winch rope, (that's cheap too).

Consider that a winch weight rating is with ONE layer of rope on the winch spool. Two or more layers and the pulling power drops as the effective drum size increases - - kinda like shifting to a higher gear.

My 21 P1000 came with a Warn 4,500 winch with 50 feet of 1/4 inch diameter Dyneema. You do not want to use 3/8" rope on this winch for two reasons. You can't get the full 50 feet on there, not enough room, and you will have less length in the first layers of drum windings so your effective pulling power will be decreased. 3/8" is for the big boys with 12K winches - not us.

Carry enough extra synthetic rope so you can use a snatch block like this: Snatch block this synthetic line shackle and aluminum ring "block" will do just fine and DOUBLE your winch pulling power - - you just need enough rope to go out and back - - or in some cases to allow a more in-line pull.

C

ChairMtn

Nov 10, 2018
Denver
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s a 2017 1000-5 LE. Just looked back at my receipt. Bought it 2018. Found a grainy photo on my phone and the hook shows Warn winch, perhaps it was dealer installed?

Lots of lurking here over the years. A couple of pics of my 1000-5 for reference. It 95% used for an off grid cabin we have at 10k feet in Colorado. It’s a five mile run in from the hwy in with winter on tracks. Great tool for the job. It’ll be nice to get it further afield for the moose hunt on Grand Mesa. Lots of 50” trails to look for moose on.

I appreciate all the advice and wisdom. I’ll report back, hopefully with some moose pics included.

IMG 4320 IMG 3565

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
It’s a 2017 1000-5 LE. Just looked back at my receipt. Bought it 2018. Found a grainy photo on my phone and the hook shows Warn winch, perhaps it was dealer installed?

Lots of lurking here over the years. A couple of pics of my 1000-5 for reference. It 95% used for an off grid cabin we have at 10k feet in Colorado. It’s a five mile run in from the hwy in with winter on tracks. Great tool for the job. It’ll be nice to get it further afield for the moose hunt on Grand Mesa. Lots of 50” trails to look for moose on.

I appreciate all the advice and wisdom. I’ll report back, hopefully with some moose pics included.

View attachment 443087 View attachment 443088
Good luck - shoot straight

advertisement