P1000 Battery longevity and trickle charger.

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was wondering how many years everyone has got out of the original battery.
My 2016 still has the original battery.
whenever I have charged the battery I have always disconnected the positive wire from the battery.
planning on putting on a trickle charger for the winter and wonder if I don’t disconnect either positive or negative wire while charging can any harm be done to the electrical system of my pioneer.

Reactions: Remington
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Was wondering how many years everyone has got out of the original battery.
My 2016 still has the original battery.
whenever I have charged the battery I have always disconnected the positive wire from the battery.
planning on putting on a trickle charger for the winter and wonder if I don’t disconnect either positive or negative wire while charging can any harm be done to the electrical system of my pioneer.
No problem at all. There are SAE pigtails you connect directly to the battery terminals so you can plug in your tender after every ride if you want.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've used a standard sae connected trickle charger for 8 years on UTVs and only use them in winter.
The one and only battery to die was 6 years old.
The connector covered by a dust cap hangs out of the grill (by the A) for ease of connection (and so I see it's connected and don't just jump in and ride).

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A lead acid battery gains a small amount of capacity during the first few charge/discharge cycles . . . then it's all downhill from there! Longest life is obtained by keeping the battery reasonably cool, not frozen of course, and by not discharging it below about 80% of it's capacity. Discharging down to 50% is acceptable, but cyclic use wears on it a bit more. Generally reduced capacity will start taking it's toll after about 5 years or so (it'll have less capacity than when new, of course), but some have eked out as much as 10 years from a vehicle battery . . . though by then it's a shallow shadow of what it once was in terms of reserve capacity, and you wouldn't want to count on it for starting reliably in the cold.

One of the worst things you can do to a lead acid battery, aside from discharging it way down, is to leave it for any length of time in a discharged condition, especially if it's in higher temperatures. Keep a good trickle charger on it when in storage.

Normally there's no need or advantage to removing battery terminal when charging the battery.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Normally there's no need or advantage to removing battery terminal when charging the battery.
My reasoning - the vehicle's electronics don't care if the charging current is coming from the alternator/stator or a remote charger, it doesn't know the difference.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
No problem at all. There are SAE pigtails you connect directly to the battery terminals so you can plug in your tender after every ride if you want.

I liked this route better. All I need is a plain old extension cord (no proprietary charger/transformer).

1666193281874 1666193329282 1666193309728

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've done similar, though the trickle charger is outside the vehicle so it can be used on more than one. I've standardized on the Powerlet plug (also know as BMW or John Deere type plug as it is or was used on their motorcycle and tractor). It's reliable and convenient. But other styles work just fine too. The idea is to make it convenient to plug it in quickly with no fuss (that way it happens often!).

20210717 165949

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Battery Tender Jr trickle charger hooks to SAE Plug to main battery. Isolator flips charge to 2nd battery after main is up. Also have SAE - USB adapter plug to take power from batteries to gizmos as well.
Both Yuasa batteries going on 4 years strong.

20200524 145313

Last edited:
Reactions: packer58 and StewB
advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I like mine because you can always find a standard extension cord no matter where you are. If you forget your proprietary charger/transformer at home, not so easy.

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Battery Tender Jr trickle charger hooks to SAE Plug to main battery. Isolator flips charge to 2nd battery after main is up. Also have SAE - USB adapter plug to take power from batteries to gizmos as well.
Both Yuasa batteries going on 4 years strong.

View attachment 359372
I plan on copying your idea I bought a Noco 2A charger and will install it on my pioneer.

Reactions: toddvdh
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Battery Tender Jr trickle charger hooks to SAE Plug to main battery. Isolator flips charge to 2nd battery after main is up.
Being that it's highly likely that they auxiliary battery will always be more in need of charging than the primary (e.g., a long day @ the lake blasting the radio), I connect my charger to the aux battery so it charges first. When the isolator connects them in parallel, then the primary gets juiced. I may be overthinking it, but ... meh.

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My '16 is still on its original battery... It's still acting as good as it has since the day I brought it home back in March of '16... When it finally does crap out, I assure you I will put another Yausa (or ever how it's spelt) right back in it!! It may not crank this evening when I get home, but it has NEVER failed me so far (Knock on Wood!).

Reactions: CID
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My '16 is still on its original battery... It's still acting as good as it has since the day I brought it home back in March of '16... When it finally does crap out, I assure you I will put another Yausa (or ever how it's spelt) right back in it!! It may not crank this evening when I get home, but it has NEVER failed me so far (Knock on Wood!).
I replace batteries before they crap out (usually every ~4 years). No way do I want to be out in the middle of nowhere (in a car, on a rec vehicle, etc.) and it decides to bite the dust.

Reactions: CID
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
I have a waterproof plug on both my machines. Have a couple enexpensive 2 amp maintainers that I plug in when the machines are not being used.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I keep it simple

battery tender since new with the connector they supply direct to battery, always connected in garage

stole the kids halo jump box, have it charged and with just in case

replace batteries in cars, atvs, etc. every 5 years, for me, after that imho batteries seem to be on borrowed time in

Reactions: Scoop and CID