Battery Bolts

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
OK….this should not be a big deal…..but it is. The stoopid battery screws are too short to reach the nut. When installing my winch…..I had to push an awl under the nut in order to lift it a bit to get the threads started. Really hard to hold everything in place and get the stupid screws started. Grrrrrr

I gotta go shopping to find some longer brass screws. I think I only got about 3 revolutions on the screws with the wires I now have connected. Had a devil of a time getting the threads started.

May not be a huge deal in a warm shop….but if doing this out in the "field" it would be a PITA. Anyone else have same issue…..or is it just me? :? :?:

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
your battery cable ends must be really thick because i had no trouble with mine i have the bolts all the way thru the nuts --it is a very poor design i agree they also make batteries with dual terminals i guess for this purpose

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
This is typical of Honda units. That's the same situation as on my Pioneer as well as my Rubicon.
I've found folding over a tie wrap and pushing it under the nut helps.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
BigRiver said:
This is typical of Honda units. That's the same situation as on my Pioneer as well as my Rubicon.
Same problem with my winch. Ya, its a pain.
I agree, a tie wrap end works well and gives the nut just enough lift to catch the bolt.

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
Hondasxs said:
BigRiver said:
Same problem with my winch. Ya, its a pain.
I agree, a tie wrap end works well and gives the nut just enough lift to catch the bolt.

A well engineered product would not have this issue. I really tend to like Honda stuff…..but I've had a few of these issues with my Pioneer, that just make me scratch my head. :ugeek: Just saying.

I CAN fix stuff like this……I just prefer to not "have to" do this kinda crap. And then the post that the Rubicon has had this issue really makes me wonder why someone has not fixed this before now?? :?:

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have a longer bolt then you have the possibility of causing damage when there are fewer things under it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
ohanacreek said:
If you have a longer bolt then you have the possibility of causing damage when there are fewer things under it.
You mean... like running that extended bolt through the battery case? lol..
Then we will be saying. who's the idiot who put this extra long bolt on this battery.

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
IF a longer bolt is really an issue….then a thicker nut would solve the problem. Like I say…..a person should not have to re-engineer or do work-arounds on this kinda stuff. After all, this is HONDA were talking about….right? ;) I rest my case. ;)

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Better yet, keep the same size bolt and just double up the nuts.

advertisement
F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
BigRiver said:
Better yet, keep the same size bolt and just double up the nuts.

Kinda feel like I'm riding a dead horse here….and I feel like I'm kinda playing the devils advocate (sorry). :twisted: :twisted: HOWEVER…..many folks will be installing the same stuff that I am installing (accessory switches and winch)…..and it can be a PITA.

But, actually (lest someone try it) this two-nut solution will NOT work very well and could result in other problems for you….like crossed threads. I also doubt that two nuts will fit in the space. It's not that one cannot do a work around to "get by"…..it's just that you really don't want this kinda aggrevation when your faced with battery troubles in the snow, or cold, wet weather away from your tools or other solutions. Which is usually when you get battery issues. Then too…..I only have a couple of thread turns connecting the fastener…..and "Murphy's Law" is real. :roll: For these reasons…. I like things done CORRECTLY.

I simply NEED to find longer bolts as the HONDA accessory switch wire, the winch cable, and the battery cable will not allow proper connections with the furnished bolt. I may have two or three turns on the threads. I think the bolt is brass. Mine are 1/2" long and likely need to be 3/4" or 5/8". Anyone know the thread pitch?

I apologize for my point of contention…..some things just tick you off. :D

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
the battery cable bolts are 6mm x 1.0 thread pitch

B

Bobbo64

Aug 28, 2013
I also had the same problem and went to the local parts store and bought a little longer bolt. Take the bolt from the battery and tell the parts person you need a little longer bolt and maybe purchase a couple small flat washers to take up any excess space between battery lug and posts. It will be a metric size. I have bought batteries for ATV's over the many years and all battery manufactures have nearly the same design on ATV and UTV batteries. They all supply you with the shorter bolts. Go to any battery store and look at these small batteries and you will see. I do wish Honda would design a better way to connect the battery wires. Be care when you do tighten the bolt on this type of battery, you can break the leaded posts off. Have done that before. Just my thoughts.

greenatv

greenatv

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Normal with about alll batteries.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
greenatv said:
Normal with about alll batteries.
true its the battery manufactures not honda

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Y'all better stop, U going to get foggy upset again. Lol. :p

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
Hondasxs said:
Y'all better stop, U going to get foggy upset again. Lol. :p

OH I aint over it yet. :x Grin. Go ahead….accept dumbazz engineering if you must. Me? I like it when things operate correctly. It takes me a long time to overcome stoopid methods like this. If ALL things were done like this….we'd all be in a frenzy each time we turned a wrench. It would be so easy to simply make a thicker nut or provide a longer screw here. Hell….put a spring under the nut for all I care….just make the connection so it works. I don't think I'm asking too much. I't's not like it should take a whole lot of extra time and expense to do it right. But…..Nooooooo…..Lets see if we can't make Foggy's life a bit more complicated. Right? Dumb ass, foreign-engineered, battery chit.

So……are you happy now? :lol: :lol:

C

chesterl35

Aug 7, 2013
Foggy, while I agree with you, as a mechanic I learned long ago that the people who engineer and develop things could care less about the man who has to fix things. As long as it works when they put it together, they do not care if it breaks down the line and is hard to fix our modify. I see things daily and wonder why lol

I

idahohntr

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2013
Has anyone considered installing a bussbar, thus only have one additional wire going to the battery? I don't see why it would not work as I used that in my boat to power misc accessories and it was a clean install.

advertisement