P500 Bad idea?

S

Sledge

So...I'm picking up my new ride Monday. In my 4wd Ram dually. A pretty tall truck. Just measured launch height--38".

I'll probably never load it in the truck again, but will haul it in my cargo trailer. It has about a 1' deck height, so I'll use 3' ramps.

I could probably find someone to borrow long ramps from to unload, but I'm tempted to just punch it low and jump it off the truck. (It'll be backed in the truck bed.)

A friend used to unload his Polaris 800 ATV that way, without drama.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Joe

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
DO NOT try to drive it out without a ramp. First the tires will spin it will not have enough speed or inertia. Likely it will nosedive push the bull nose bumper into you radiator and continue to roll over forward and stop on its rooftop.

S

Sledge

:(
DO NOT try to drive it out without a ramp. First the tires will spin it will not have enough speed or inertia. Likely it will nosedive push the bull nose bumper into you radiator and continue to roll over forward and stop on its rooftop.
Yow! I'm glad I asked!

That would kinda suck...:(

Thanks!

Joe

S

Sledge

Thanks, Harman. I considered that but we've had so much rain lately I'd be afraid I might not get out if I backed my truck into a ditch, even with 4wd.

Joe

S

Sledge

On reflection, I remember Dannin could pull wheelies on that machine, which is likely what he was doing as he launched off the pickup.

He always landed on all four wheels.

He was quite a rider. He could also be going fast, jerk the handlebars, and tip up onto two wheels, and ride that way as far as he wanted to, on either side.

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've got to believe you were just checking our brain power with the op. Of course you're not going to do that with your new P-5. Borrow ramps, or screw 2x12's together and as Harman said, back the truck wheels into a ditch which will lower your tailgate hieght. Why aren't you just taking your box trailer with you?

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks, Harman. I considered that but we've had so much rain lately I'd be afraid I might not get out if I backed my truck into a ditch, even with 4wd.

Joe
That's when you use the new P-5 to pull the truck out of the ditch. Several members here have done so.

S

Sledge

I've got to believe you were just checking our brain power with the op. Of course you're not going to do that with your new P-5. Borrow ramps, or screw 2x12's together and as Harman said, back the truck wheels into a ditch which will lower your tailgate hieght. Why aren't you just taking your box trailer with you?
Nope. I was serious, Montecresto. Dumb, maybe, but serious. Did I mention that I'm not real experienced with this stuff? :)

Having seen it done, and made to look easy, I thought it might be. Again, I'm glad I asked!

The trailer needs a major reorganization before I can put the P500 in it, so I'm picking the machine up in the truck.

I'll find some ramps. Maybe I'll just buy long ones. They'd work fine for loading in the trailer, and also give me the truck-carry option. I was just thinking I'd save $100 by buying shorties.

Joe

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Nope. I was serious, Montecresto. Dumb, maybe, but serious. Did I mention that I'm not real experienced with this stuff? :)

Having seen it done, and made to look easy, I thought it might be. Again, I'm glad I asked!

The trailer needs a major reorganization before I can put the P500 in it, so I'm picking the machine up in the truck.

I'll find some ramps. Maybe I'll just buy long ones. They'd work fine for loading in the trailer, and also give me the truck-carry option. I was just thinking I'd save $100 by buying shorties.

Joe
You can't find a bank to back up to? I mean back your trailer up against the bottom of a hill...not too steep that you'll hit the roof, but I think you get the idea. Even if you can get as close as 6" between the ground and the trailer deck, you would be okay. Or just use some wood blocks....get creative. I'm sure you will figure something out.

Reactions: Sledge
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Joe
I think you should buy a pair of long (curved, hmm) ramps. It unloads easily with them. That's way better than jumping out of the truck with nothing!!!!

Reactions: Sledge and JCart
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Make the dealer deliver it for you make them do the work

Reactions: Sledge
S

Sledge

Make the dealer deliver it for you make them do the work
Good idea, but dealer is 200 miles away, and saving me ~$1600 compared to local. I'll make the drive for that.

Actually I think I have the solution. My neighbor has a flatbed car trailer. We're going to set the trailer ramps on my tailgate, drive p5 down onto trailer, move truck, put ramps on ground, and drive p5 onto ground.

A 2-stage dismount. I went ahead and ordered a pair of 3' aluminum "shed ramps" for loading into/out of my cargo trailer.

It's been sitting for 2 years, and I don't trust it for a 400 mile trip without a thorough checkout. Bearings, tires...

So...all should be good.

Thanks for all the ideas, help, and especially the warnings.

Joe

Reactions: ehart814
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good idea, but dealer is 200 miles away, and saving me ~$1600 compared to local. I'll make the drive for that.

Actually I think I have the solution. My neighbor has a flatbed car trailer. We're going to set the trailer ramps on my tailgate, drive p5 down onto trailer, move truck, put ramps on ground, and drive p5 onto ground.

A 2-stage dismount. I went ahead and ordered a pair of 3' aluminum "shed ramps" for loading into/out of my cargo trailer.

It's been sitting for 2 years, and I don't trust it for a 400 mile trip without a thorough checkout. Bearings, tires...

So...all should be good.

Thanks for all the ideas, help, and especially the warnings.

Joe
That ought to work!