P500 Backlash/slack noises from driveline

Richd

Richd

Jul 15, 2017
Vallejo,CA
Ownership

1. 500
My 2017 P500 has always been a little noisy when cruising under no-load (neither on or off the throttle) situations. Lately it seems worse but still drives normal when on or off the gas. I would describe the noise as similar to a loose/worn Ujoint on a driveshaft. It is worse in 2WD but is present also in 4WD.

I thought I'd put this post in to see if others may have experienced the same noise. I mostly use the machine as a workhorse hauling yard debris and leaves with a small trailer to the burn pile about a 1/2 mile from my cabin. I have ~350 miles on it so far. Some low speed sight seeing on mountain roads and trails. No flat-out racing at all.
Rich

Reactions: rtn001
G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
My 2017 P500 has always been a little noisy when cruising under no-load (neither on or off the throttle) situations. Lately it seems worse but still drives normal when on or off the gas. I would describe the noise as similar to a loose/worn Ujoint on a driveshaft. It is worse in 2WD but is present also in 4WD.

I thought I'd put this post in to see if others may have experienced the same noise. I mostly use the machine as a workhorse hauling yard debris and leaves with a small trailer to the burn pile about a 1/2 mile from my cabin. I have ~350 miles on it so far. Some low speed sight seeing on mountain roads and trails. No flat-out racing at all.
Rich
I have a 17 with nearly 1900 miles. I get a lot of weird noises in the drive lines, but keeps on truckin. I just figure if something shows a lot of ware or breaks, I'll just fix it.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Rich

Yeah they all do that. There is someone on here that makes a noise/heat barrier that helps with that. ;)

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
I have a definite pop noise when going from forward to reverse and also from reverse to forward . I noticed awhile back I had a torn boot on the rear drive shaft. When I replace it I'll check the u joint to see what shape its in and will probable replace it while I'm there. I'm well over 3000 miles on the machine

Reactions: Ollie and rtn001
ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Same here with my 2017. It was louder when I first got it, but has diminished. Now have 2600 miles. When I changed the differential oil to a heavier type, everything inside looked shiny and smooth.

I think it's just the nature of the beast.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
These machines sound fine under acceleration. Super noisy when coasting or decelerating. Coffee can full of nuts and bots. Add to that, the rear brakes on one of mine squeak at low speeds, especially after going through some (not deep) water. Can't wait till next year when I replace one with a Talon (or maybe a [GASP!] RZR).

Reactions: Ollie and rtn001
Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Mine does it to and it sounds like the gears to me "Big Clunk" and every time it does a cruse and swear and say WTF...
Also i find it does it more in Auto when you are starting to stop and the gears do there stuff going from 5th down to 1st from 2nd to down to 1st that when i hear it....
I don't hear it much in Manual i guess cause we're changing the gears when we come to a stop..

D

DWBourque

Apr 4, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I hear clunks and noisy clinking down shifting in automatic. Happy to hear I am not the only one to hear this.

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Recall an old post about the way the gears are cut. Hypoid cut??? Guess most do hypoid rated synthetic oil + rubber trigger shield and then either ear plugs or crank up the music.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Recall an old post about the way the gears are cut. Hypoid cut??? Guess most do hypoid rated synthetic oil + rubber trigger shield and then either ear plugs or crank up the music.
Mine was making a clunking noise about 5 months ago or so when I dropped it into gear from neutral. In my mind, what I thought was happening was rear diff gears were making noise because of bad bearings or something. Tore rear end apart to replace gears but everything was tight. Put it all back together and made it repeat the noise. Come to find out my clutch needed adjusting. When I would drop it in gear I guess the internal clutch parts rotated about 1/4 revolution before it engaged the driveshafts to turn the diffs. When the internal rotating parts caught up to where the drive shaft was sitting still it gave the 'clunk' sound. I looked up how to adjust the clutch and it has been good to go since.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Mine was making a clunking noise about 5 months ago or so when I dropped it into gear from neutral. In my mind, what I thought was happening was rear diff gears were making noise because of bad bearings or something. Tore rear end apart to replace gears but everything was tight. Put it all back together and made it repeat the noise. Come to find out my clutch needed adjusting. When I would drop it in gear I guess the internal clutch parts rotated about 1/4 revolution before it engaged the driveshafts to turn the diffs. When the internal rotating parts caught up to where the drive shaft was sitting still it gave the 'clunk' sound. I looked up how to adjust the clutch and it has been good to go since.
I'll guess I'll check my clutch again and fine tune it..

Richd

Richd

Jul 15, 2017
Vallejo,CA
Ownership

1. 500
I adjusted the clutch and the backlash noise went away. That was good.

On a test ride however when climbing a hill I went to shift down and the engine would cut out for a second...but no downshift. The display then went to a "dash or hyphen" where the gear position is displayed.

The proper adjustment is one quarter turn counter-clockwise from the full seated clockwise position on the adjusting screw, then tighten the locknut while holding the screw from turning....correct?

Still I'm happy to have the noise gone...maybe the speed sensor got affected?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
1/4 to 1/3 turn, played around for the sweet spot.

Reactions: trigger
Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
1/4 to 1/3 turn, played around for the sweet spot.
i might try the 1/3 turn did mine at 1/4 turn seem to be ok most of the timed,It's the down shift parts where it sounds like it needs ajusting. Should the screw be snug or just when your about to feel Resistance and 1/3 back then tighten.