Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sss skid plate is here today. I was wondering if anyone else has ordered this set and has any suggestions or comments. I haven't looked at instructions yet but I know the screw up on side rails like others has anyone had problems with stripped screws or done something differently. I will only have a little time today for install and I'm not wanting any problems later so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sss skid plate is here today. I was wondering if anyone else has ordered this set and has any suggestions or comments. I haven't looked at instructions yet but I know the screw up on side rails like others has anyone had problems with stripped screws or done something differently. I will only have a little time today for install and I'm not wanting any problems later so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't take the time to tap and thread for bolts on the P700 and those sheet metal screws are stripping on Dgann's machine now. Those that we fixed were drilled, tapped, and bolted.

On my P1000, I used the supplied sheet metal screws again and so far they hold great. It was a lot faster for the install and if any strip, I'll just do the same I did for Derek.

So if you have time, drill and tap. If not, just screw it down!

SIGNATURE:
CumminsPusher quote: Boredom + Pioneer = trouble for me. I can't stop. Damn these things guys. I thank god I'm not the only one though. If it's just you then you're crazy if it's a group it's a sport!

Reactions: drfubar
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok. Did you see any signs of rust on the screw holes?

Sent from iPhone

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ok. Did you see any signs of rust on the screw holes?

Sent from iPhone

Yep, I don't know why though, I never ride in the water.

SIGNATURE:
CumminsPusher quote: Boredom + Pioneer = trouble for me. I can't stop. Damn these things guys. I thank god I'm not the only one though. If it's just you then you're crazy if it's a group it's a sport!

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not you!!!

Reactions: Eltobgi
wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
I stripped one on my install. I kept trying to get a larger screw in and it kept stripping so I put some JB weld in the hole and then used another self tapping screw which seems to be holding fine as of now.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I used the self tapping but they're not as tight as drill and tap. I suggest not being lazy like me and tapping them properly.

Are there any thread lock products that prevent corrosion?

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I used the self tapping but they're not as tight as drill and tap. I suggest not being lazy like me and tapping them properly.

Are there any thread lock products that prevent corrosion?

I think they probably all would help and that's a great idea!

Sent from iPhone

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you talk about drill and tap then are you using a bolt with a nut? Your last piece you wouldn't be able to reach. I stripped a few putting my Trail Armor skids on and replaced with self threading screws/bolts from Fastenal.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When you talk about drill and tap then are you using a bolt with a nut? Your last piece you wouldn't be able to reach. I stripped a few putting my Trail Armor skids on and replaced with self threading screws/bolts from Fastenal.
That's exactly what I did.. went to Fastenal and got the next size thread cutting bolts and it worked great!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

No that means to use a tap to thread your hole the run bolts.

Sent from iPhone

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tapped and threaded mine. But you cannot go that tight because the metal is thin. Threads will pull easy. So just snug them up. I used locktight because I wasn't confident they wouldn't lossen up. Haven't lost one yet.

Reactions: drfubar
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I tapped and threaded mine. But you cannot go that tight because the metal is thin. Threads will pull easy. So just snug them up. I used locktight because I wasn't confident they wouldn't lossen up. Haven't lost one yet.

I've already lost two and the kit only came with 4 extra washers so that's got to be done this weekend. If I lose any more I'll weld nuts into the bars. The poprivits are a good idea though too but it would be tough to pull back off.

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5