P500 Anyone "lengthen" their P5?

Sarbuck

Sarbuck

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a friend who wants to get a Pioneer 500 so he can keep riding all the trails in Idaho. He's tired of pouring money into his POS Razor. Issue is he's 6'7 and doesn't fit in the P5 very well. He's wondering if it would be possible to extend the frame and redneck the machine to create more room. Anybody tried that or have any ideas?

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@100Acre, he is 6'9" and had a P5 maybe he has some insight.

Reactions: Isaiah
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a friend who wants to get a Pioneer 500 so he can keep riding all the trails in Idaho. He's tired of pouring money into his POS Razor. Issue is he's 6'7 and doesn't fit in the P5 very well. He's wondering if it would be possible to extend the frame and redneck the machine to create more room. Anybody tried that or have any ideas?
I'd love to extend it, being 6'9" tall but I'd think that would open all kinds of worms. long and narrow, if you lengthen the frame, what else would need to be stretched? seems cost prohibitive. I'll give you my 500 to experiment on in trade for some high Idaho mountain land in the middle of nowhere...

Garbageman

Garbageman

Dec 6, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I'd think that skinny and longer might add to the pucker factor on weird angles n shtuff. I'm only like 5 7 so it's never crossed my mind. However, if your buddy wants a longer ride, and you're in the boise area, I can show him lots of reasons he doesn't want a P5, and more why he does.

Sarbuck

Sarbuck

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@100Acre, he is 6'9" and had a P5 maybe he has some insight.
I read some of his posts. Apparently he fits okay, but my buddy sat in one and there just wasn't enough leg room.
I'd love to extend it, being 6'9" tall but I'd think that would open all kinds of worms. long and narrow, if you lengthen the frame, what else would need to be stretched? seems cost prohibitive. I'll give you my 500 to experiment on in trade for some high Idaho mountain land in the middle of nowhere...
LOL. Yes, we're very thankful to live here always, but now more than ever! We have land, on a mountain, but since we're here already it probably wouldn't meet your needs. I use my Pioneer 1000-5 to work around our property during the week, then go play in it on the weekend. Get's used more than everything I own, except maybe the toilet. I can leave my house and ride all the way to Canada if need be. Thanks for your reply...I don't expect anyone has tried this but thought I'd ask.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I'd think that skinny and longer might add to the pucker factor on weird angles n shtuff. I'm only like 5 7 so it's never crossed my mind. However, if your buddy wants a longer ride, and you're in the boise area, I can show him lots of reasons he doesn't want a P5, and more why he does.

Of the 50" wide trail machines:

The P500 has a 73" wheelbase
The Polaris has a 79" wheelbase
The Can-Am has a 90.6" wheelbase

I haven't heard of negative handling on the CanAm even with 17" longer wheelbase. Still modding the frame, drive shaft , wiring, brake and throttle controls & cooling system would be a PITA and an expensive learning experience.

Sarbuck

Sarbuck

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea...I think his idea is more trouble than it's worth. He just wants HONDA quality (as he should) over PILE-AIR-IS razors which break down on every single club ride we do. He doesn't like the cost of the Can-Am. He loves the price of the P5 and Honda quality and would buy one tomorrow if he fit in it.

Thanks all for your thoughts...unless somewhat replies that it's been done and successful I think this idea is water under the bridge.

Reactions: Backwoods
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
He can get a P5 stretcher at Amazon.....