P1000 Any issues at high altitude - ready to pull the trigger on one

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK so I'm trying to buy a machine and after reading every SXS forum ( Honda, RZR, CAN AM ) - it has basically scared the crap out of me - I know for every bad report there are 10 guys out enjoying them no problem, But hey it's a lot of money .. So with that one last question. I intend to do a Colorado trip yearly. I want to explore most if not all the jeep trail type passes.. ie Engineer, Corkscrew, etc.. ) - Will this machine perform well at high altitude? Does it have adequate engine/transmission braking for these types of trails? Of note - while I was in Colorado last month 2 died in a RZR near me when ( according to the reports I heard) their belt broke and they tried to coast down Corksrew and lost their brakes..Sad deal for sure. Def got me thinking about downhill desent control.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK so I'm trying to buy a machine and after reading every SXS forum ( Honda, RZR, CAN AM ) - it has basically scared the crap out of me - I know for every bad report there are 10 guys out enjoying them no problem, But hey it's a lot of money .. So with that one last question. I intend to do a Colorado trip yearly. I want to explore most if not all the jeep trail type passes.. ie Engineer, Corkscrew, etc.. ) - Will this machine perform well at high altitude? Does it have adequate engine/transmission braking for these types of trails? Of note - while I was in Colorado last month 2 died in a RZR near me when ( according to the reports I heard) their belt broke and they tried to coast down Corksrew and lost their brakes..Sad deal for sure. Def got me thinking about downhill desent control.
The p1k has the best engine breaking I've ever seen in anything. If you think your descending too fast hit the paddle shifter down,and it will be perfect. I don't know much about altitude effect on the rig, I'm sure it would do fine though.

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The p1k has the best engine breaking I've ever seen in anything. If you think your descending too fast hit the paddle shifter down,and it will be perfect. I don't know much about altitude effect on the rig, I'm sure it would do fine though.
I'll second that ! unbelievable engine braking, you''ll never find that in a belt machine.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We are in Colorado right now and our P1K-5 is performing flawlessly on these trails. Our friends cabin is at 8800 feet and trails we are riding are up to 12000 ft and the altitude is no problem. The downhill braking is great and the steep downhills are no problem. That being said, I would still feel a lot safer with an emergency brake.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Haven't been over 7000 ft but felt exactly the same. As far as engine braking you'll keep getting the same responses it's absolutely incredible. The brakes are just a little small in my opinion but work good however you're not on them all that much

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: sharp
GravelBat

GravelBat

Sep 5, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As others have said the engine braking is crazy. I like coasting down hills fast so I always use the paddle shifters to upshift. I never thought I would use the paddle shifters but the more I drive it the more I realize how much thought Honda put into these machines. You can really make the machine conform to your driving style.

BTW my cousin who I always ride the same trails with is replacing his belt this week (rzr1000). I like rzr's but all those guys carry an extra belt for a reason.

GumpAir

GumpAir

Jun 16, 2016
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I run my 1000-3 up to 12K elevations here in Northern Nevada and it performs well power wise. For steep downhill I use LOW/MANUAL and lock it in gear (as I have in my 2004 Rubicon for the 12 years and almost 10K miles I've owned it). I never really touch the brake pedal, in fact, most times I find myself paddle shifting up because I'm moving too slow.

Gump

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
For what it's worth, I spent my first summer at my new mountain cabin @6,800 ft. elevation near Show Low AZ, brought my Can Am Commander, and my Can Am Outlander ATV. On my 2014 Commander rides low to med throttle no problem, but pressing full throttle a couple times, got a 'service engine' message and it went into medium limp mode, slowed down and message went away, got on it again full power then the same thing happened. Took it to dealer, needed a $100 computer 'high altitude re-flash' The Show Low dealer said they had lots of machines coming in from low altitude with this problem, but only on the Commanders from 2013 to 2015, said Can Am then programmed all new machines at the factory with high altitude compensation programmed in. After Commander re-flash, ran strong no more problems. Asked them about my Outlander ATV? They said... "That's a different machine, doesn't need higher altitude compensation feature" Brought the Commander back down to lower altitude, runs great, even stronger because at 6,800 feet you lose about 20% horse power in all vehicles, gain a little with less air resistance though (thinner air) With my Honda Pioneer 500 I doubt it would be an issue at high altitude, but the Commander has a high performance engine, needs ECU altitude compensation for peak performance at different altitudes. Just keep in mind to expect some horsepower loss at higher altitudes. New modern fuel injection and computers are great, gone are the days where we had to re-jet the carbs for high altitude, for me just one ECU high altitude re-flash.

Reactions: DTAGG and sharp
advertisement
Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
With the Pioneer downhill engine braking you'll probably be going too slow and upshift once or twice to go a little faster. With my Pioneer 500 going medium or steep downhill, I have to put it in 3rd or 4th gear or it crawls too slow, sometimes have to give it a little gas, rarely touch the brakes. No worries, you have strong engine braking & good wheel brakes... enjoy!

Reactions: DTAGG and sharp