P1000m5 Another skid plate question.

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
Hey guys I know this skid plate debate has been going on for a long time and I have been reading all that I can find about skid plates and have even sent a few people pm's to ask about there opinion but I want to throw this out to everyone to get a more broad opinion. I live in TX and do most of my playing here but I will venture out to other states as I get a chance to. Here where I am there is mostly mud but not mud like I e seen on the west coast it's clay mud with rocks mixed into it. What I hate is hitting the puddles and splashing mud with rocks into the engine and drive train areas and then the rocks will sit in the mud and rub on crap. So what is all you opinion on the best skid. I was trying to look at a skid that had very few holes but a few people said it doesn't allow the hot air from the exhaust to escape. I am leaning towards aluminum because it's a little stronger and there aren't that meany rocks to get hung up on. I just want some good protection and to keep all the crap from getting up in the engine area. Or am I asking to much. What do you all have to say. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I like my Factory UTV skid. Less holes than the Trail Armor from what I saw online and the belly plate is 1 piece. Easy to add holes if needed with a hole saw and you could always make plugs to cover what you don't want open.

Reactions: pct and joeymt33
Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
I think I'm leaning towards the ticochet skid

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have the Factory UTV skid. I chose it because of less holes and pieces. I will never be on the side of buying an aluminum skid plate.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an off brand and while I only paid $450 for it I wish I'd gone with Trail Armor seeing the customer service they are providing.

That's where the real benefit is for spending a few dollars more.

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
I ended up getting the ricochet skids. They were very friendly and helpful on the phone they even gave me a 15% discount. Hopefully I'll be happy. Thanks to Snuffnwhisky for the idea of covering up some of the holes if in not happy with the mud getting in I didn't even think of that

Reactions: pct and elkguide
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up getting the ricochet skids. They were very friendly and helpful on the phone they even gave me a 15% discount. Hopefully I'll be happy. Thanks to Snuffnwhisky for the idea of covering up some of the holes if in not happy with the mud getting in I didn't even think of that

I have the ricochet rock sliders...happy with them so far.15% off would have been nice.

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
Yeah that was one of the things that made me chose them is that the rock sliders are part of the whole skid plate. F035cd228b76ef62e5e1a383b22d48b3 if these are what you mean by rock sliders

advertisement
J

JTW

I like aluminum... I think it's stronger than UHMW. BUT after two rides my aluminum skids are beat to s***. The UHMW would still look good... I realize it's a skid. Who cares what it looks like. But what does the skid say when you take it in for warranty, trade or sell the machine? There's the real benefit to plastic. Like others have said... trail armor is really taking care of customers! NOW, with that said.... I looked at the ricochets and I really like them too!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like aluminum... I think it's stronger than UHMW. BUT after two rides my aluminum skids are beat to s***. The UHMW would still look good... I realize it's a skid. Who cares what it looks like. But what does the skid say when you take it in for warranty, trade or sell the machine? There's the real benefit to plastic. Like others have said... trail armor is really taking care of customers! NOW, with that said.... I looked at the ricochets and I really like them too!

If it weren't for weight, I might say aluminum backing on the UHMW. UHMW would be abrasion resistant and self-lubrication means it slides across rocks and obstacles doesn't stick to mud. It would help spread the impact forces out so the aluminum could do its job of being rigid.

Might could go with ¼" UHMW and ⅛ aluminum. End up with near same thickness?

I'm just postulating here someone else would need to spend a few grand to test that theory.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it weren't for weight, I might say aluminum backing on the UHMW. UHMW would be abrasion resistant and self-lubrication means it slides across rocks and obstacles doesn't stick to mud. It would help spread the impact forces out so the aluminum could do its job of being rigid.

Might could go with ¼" UHMW and ⅛ aluminum. End up with near same thickness?

I'm just postulating here someone else would need to spend a few grand to test that theory.
Ricochet makes a full aluminum skid with a 1/4 in uhmw skin .

2016 Honda Pioneer 1000

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
Hey guys. I just realized I didn't do an update after I installed them. So here goes. I really like them so far. I haven't done anything besides ride around my neighborhood so far so as far as testing them I haven't yet. As far as installation goes. They were pretty good and not to hard. I know I should have taken pics but when I start something like this I don't stop until it's done. The center plate is big and goes pretty much the length of the machine. There is a front bash plate that bolts to the front and sits a little lower just under the little fins in the stock bash plate and that was the one I hade the most trouble with. There are 4 holes that allow you to put a button head torx bit into the pre existing holes and the holes didn't line up very well so I had to widen the holes a little bit so I didn't cross thread the bolts. Also on the front bash plate they give you these long bolts that go up through the frame and you use a washer and lock nut on top. Those are a major PITA to get on. But everything else went on very nice and pretty easy I really like that on the rock slider pieces they cover the whole area under your feet so I'm not worried about sticks coming up through the plastic floor anymore. Also they have little not quiet "C" clips that have a nut welded to them and they fit over the support/frame tubs that are under the floor boards and that is how they attach I really liked that over just putting a self tapper screw in and calling it good. Also I liked the way both front and rear "A" arm guards fit and from some of the pics I've seen they look like they would provide fore protection then the trail armor ones would. And finally the other thing I liked was the directions were good they supplied all the bolts and those washer things that protect the bolts like are on the stock skid and what was not protected from those washer things are button head bolts with a torx head which are harder to strip out. Any other questions feel free to ask.