Ammo Can Modification

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New to the forum, but thought I might pass on a little mod that I think should work out really well. We've had the new '15 Pioneer for a couple of months now, and one of my biggest complaints about it was the lack of storage. I struck out finding the Walmart box for under the hood and haven't looked for the one from Home Depot. I performed my first oil change a couple of weeks ago, and was shocked at the amount of empty space by the oil fill cap. Looking around for a while, I think I have come up with a pretty good storage bin to fill that spot. I took a 20mm Ammo can, removed the lid and added a metal strip between the frame rails for some support, and it fits perfectly in this space. I had to place the oil fill on the other side, but I think I will be pretty pleased with the results. Lots of storage space and not such a big eye sore under the seat.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will see if I can get some pics. Me and the family went out for a 50 mile ride yesterday after the install, and was very pleased with the way it worked. I was a little nervous about it getting pretty hot so close to the exhaust, but it was just mildly warm to the touch. I need to come up with a lid, maybe a piece of rubber like the flaps under the seat, but with everything in storage bags nothing rattled or got hot. I found some smaller ammo cans, but the 20mm was the perfect size. Here is a link to some on sale with the dimensions:
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/amm ... -good.html

Like I said overly pleased, and still have a lot of room to put other items in it. My wife even said she was more confident going on a long ride with the extra items in it. Thanks

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got around to adjusting my valves on our "Riggo", so I thought I would take the opportunity with the panels off to get a few pics of my mod. Like I said I am very pleased with the addition and still have a lot of room for more "emergency" stuff (tow rope, first aid kit, tool kit, etc.) DSCF5148 DSCF5145 DSCF5150

Reactions: 270WSMfan