P1000 Aluminum with 1/4" UHMW skid plate question

Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I havc been looking at Ricochet off road skid plate. They have the 3/16" alum. with 1/4" UHMW overlays for the Honda Pioneer. They are local in here in Utah thinking off buying a set ,but my question is, are there any advantages of the alum with UHMW versus full UHMW? They do not make just UHWM only skid plates yet.

IMG 0994

Reactions: Logan
L

Logan

Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Rocks + aluminum = dead stop. The uhmw allows it to slide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: drfubar
Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
asking about Aluminum with uhmw overlays

IMG 0994

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
I have 1/2" uhmw only skid that works great because it flexes and returns to it's original shape after it takes a hit. The uhmw over Alum will slide over rocks way better than just aluminum, but my concern would be if you took a big hit could the aluminum be bent?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: drfubar
J

JTW

Aluminum is stronger and more ridged than UHMW... UHMW is slicker.. put them together and it's the best of both worlds. I have straight aluminum skids and I'm very pleased. My thought was if it were ever an issue (they don't just stick actually) I could skin them with UHMW.

Reactions: Delton
J

JTW

Also, price.... full aluminum skids and a arm guards powder coated to your choice of color and shipped to your door for $750

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the ricochet rock sliders and they are holding up well so far. I do plan on skinning them with in uhmw later on.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Aluminum is stronger and more ridged than UHMW... UHMW is slicker.. put them together and it's the best of both worlds. I have straight aluminum skids and I'm very pleased. My thought was if it were ever an issue (they don't just stick actually) I could skin them with UHMW.
X2. Whoever started that aluminum doesn't slide well over rocks rumor needs their diff lock privileges revoked. Simply untrue.

J

JTW

X2. Whoever started that aluminum doesn't slide well over rocks rumor needs their diff lock privileges revoked. Simply untrue.
My aluminum is now pretty deformed... knowing what I know now. I would give up a little streangth for the UHMW's ability to keep its form.

Reactions: ToddACimer
advertisement
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
I have the factory aluminum center skid my plans are to buy the rock sliders and overlaying with the UHMW sounds like a great idea might have to try that.