P1000 Aligning Front tires, what's the best way to do it.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When Crunchy got crunched, we had to turn there tie rod. Not that the break has been welded both tires seem to be out of alignment. Which way do I turn the tie rods and what's the best way to align the tires? Also, should they point slightly in, out or be absolutely straight? Thanks

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pointed straight or slightly in.

Reactions: DDDonkey
D

DDDonkey

Most recommend toe in 1/8" total. There are many ways to to align the buggy, some use the string method, I have used toe plates, and most recently I used some scrap angle, bolted to the hub and measured that way.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
When Crunchy got crunched, we had to turn there tie rod. Not that the break has been welded both tires seem to be out of alignment. Which way do I turn the tie rods and what's the best way to align the tires? Also, should they point slightly in, out or be absolutely straight? Thanks
Tightening the tie-rod will cause the front of the wheel to toe out (front pointed outward), loosening the tie-rod causes toe-in (front pointed inward). You're basically "pushing" or "pulling" on the steering knuckle by tightening/loosening the tie-rod. If you were driving a race car (and didn't care about tire wear) you'd want a little bit of toe out to help with initial turn-in/steering through corners. The opposite is true for toe-in, you sacrifice some initial corner entry/turn-in for stability. You're driving a farm buggy through the woods and you don't want super snappy steering, so straight or slight toe-in is what you're after.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
We only adjusted your passenger side tie-rod, so you should be able to get it pretty close by setting your steering wheel straight and then adjusting that side so that it's close.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep I used the string method from advice here. Super easy and was able to correct a toe out issue of over 1/8"! It had chewed up my front driver inside tread something good.

All looks great now!

ADVICE - use a paint pen to mark the tie rod nut-to-rod after you adjust the nut. This way you can visibly check if your tie rod nut/rod has loosened.

Reactions: Mudwing