P1000 Air intake relocation.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In the last few weeks while researching and after buying my P1K I've read about several different methods of snorkeling one. What I haven't seen much of is how to prevent water from getting to the intake. I've been making stuff for mine since I bought it last week and looking it over for ideas for more stuff to do.

It seems to me that there a bunch of places for a lot of water to get under the hood. Has anyone made splash shields to cover most of the openings in the front wheel wells? I'm going to break up some aluminum and do mine. Also has anyone blocked the factory opening at the prefilter and just drilled holes in the side of the air box cover? It would be simple enough to put the prefilter in the actual duct. Or just a 90 after covering the opening? I'm also considering using heavy aluminum flex dryer duct and relocating the opening to the bottom of the dash in the passengers compartment.

Anyone done any of this?

Thanks.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you search this site for snorkeling you will find a lot of information. Also there is good information about venting the transaxles, fuel tank, radiator fan motor, cable box, etc...

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes I've searched and found a lot of info on why and how to snorkel them. What I'm looking at now is how to minimize the amount of water that can get under the hood. It can't all be stopped but I think it can be reduced substantially.

Reactions: JTW, pct and sharp
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
F2496454f5a7ff4975f17d4538241654

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes I've searched and found a lot of info on why and how to snorkel them. What I'm looking at now is how to minimize the amount of water that can get under the hood. It can't all be stopped but I think it can be reduced substantially.

Reducing the water amount may not prevent hydro-locking the engine. Some snorkels are literally under $10 and just take a few minutes. Just something to think about.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the last few weeks while researching and after buying my P1K I've read about several different methods of snorkeling one. What I haven't seen much of is how to prevent water from getting to the intake. I've been making stuff for mine since I bought it last week and looking it over for ideas for more stuff to do.

It seems to me that there a bunch of places for a lot of water to get under the hood. Has anyone made splash shields to cover most of the openings in the front wheel wells? I'm going to break up some aluminum and do mine. Also has anyone blocked the factory opening at the prefilter and just drilled holes in the side of the air box cover? It would be simple enough to put the prefilter in the actual duct. Or just a 90 after covering the opening? I'm also considering using heavy aluminum flex dryer duct and relocating the opening to the bottom of the dash in the passengers compartment.

Anyone done any of this?

Thanks.
I've read that the water is more prone to get sucked in when the fan is going and you splash through a puddle. The splash shield is a great idea, that's more of something that would be more effective for my style of riding. IMO.

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
I dont have much confidence in the ducting that runs from under the hood to the air box. There is a couple of hose clamps holding the sections of tubing together. If one were to come loose due to a stick or something else, water could easily get in the engine. Im going to snorkel directly from the air box up behind the seat and eliminate all the tubing that runs below the seat to the hood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'd say it would be a good idea to check all the joints in the air duct on a regular basis. When I get a chance mine's going on the lift to check everything over.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd say it would be a good idea to check all the joints in the air duct on a regular basis. When I get a chance mine's going on the lift to check everything over.
Yes... definitely check them. Mine were loose from the factory. Also check for good seal. My stock tube had a molding flaw and the clamp wouldn't seal correctly, had to do some dremel work to it.