Air filter

G

Gpop

Dec 27, 2020
Reno
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a new Pioneer 1000-5 deluxe and an thinking about changing the stock air filter for a K&N but have been told the really don’t fit correctly and as a result are difficult to install. Any feed back?

Reactions: TripleB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
There are numerous online filter comparisons and K&N repeatedly rates in the bottom third at best. I wouldn't run one of those POS on a street machine let alone something run in the dusty environment of a SxS. I've run oiled foam on dirt bikes for 50 years, the K&N can't hold a candle to oiled foam. Just my experience.

Last edited:
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a new Pioneer 1000-5 deluxe and an thinking about changing the stock air filter for a K&N but have been told the really don’t fit correctly and as a result are difficult to install. Any feed back?
There really isn't any benefit of not running OEM filter. Unless you're thinking it will save some coin in the long run. $36 for OEM air filter from ronayers.com. I changed my 1st air filter at 4000 miles. I have 3500 on this 2nd filter. If you follow big groups in dusty conditions, you will probably have to change it more often than I do. But not much.

G

Gpop

Dec 27, 2020
Reno
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There really isn't any benefit of not running OEM filter. Unless you're thinking it will save some coin in the long run. $36 for OEM air filter from ronayers.com. I changed my 1st air filter at 4000 miles. I have 3500 on this 2nd filter. If you follow big groups in dusty conditions, you will probably have to change it more often than I do. But not much.
You don’t feel there is a slight hp gain with K&N and opening the exhaust?

Reactions: toddvdh and TripleB
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks!
Honestly I am a little disappointed in the hp. I stress a little, just would like a bit more. Suggestions?
72HP isn't enough? Are you drag racing or something?

K&N's generally do add a touch of power. The issue is filtration, which is not as good as OEM or maybe a UNI filter. IMO, it's not worth the trade off, esp in a machine with plenty of power to begin with.

Reactions: toddvdh