P1000 aggressive throttle

H

hunter3736

Mar 25, 2018
New York
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2016 honda pioneer 1000 and have been unhappy with the aggressive throttle response and abrupt downshifts. We use it mainly on rough rocky trails and pulling dump wagons filled with firewood. Does anyone have a solution to make this machine more user friendly for our purposes?

R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 honda pioneer 1000 and have been unhappy with the aggressive throttle response and abrupt downshifts. We use it mainly on rough rocky trails and pulling dump wagons filled with firewood. Does anyone have a solution to make this machine more user friendly for our purposes?

There is a device called “Throttlemax” that may help. I used to complain about the sensitivity also but have become acclimated to it. My foot has become very sensitive to movement while driving the Honda. As far as the downshifting goes, I always ride in manual mode while on technical trails and most of the time on trails unless they are fast trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pct, Rambo and BWAF
H

hunter3736

Mar 25, 2018
New York
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is a device called “Throttlemax” that may help. I used to complain about the sensitivity also but have become acclimated to it. My foot has become very sensitive to movement while driving the Honda. As far as the downshifting goes, I always ride in manual mode while on technical trails and most of the time on trails unless they are fast trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I edited my post saying I installed the throttlemax, but it only helped slightly. I talked to someone at Honda and they told me there was nothing their engineers could do and said if I couldn't handle the "power" I should get a smaller machine. I told him I was going to trade it for a Mahindra.

Reactions: lee and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I edited my post saying I installed the throttlemax, but it only helped slightly. I talked to someone at Honda and they told me there was nothing their engineers could do and said if I couldn't handle the "power" I should get a smaller machine. I told him I was going to trade it for a Mahindra.
Your dealer sounds pretty stupid. What does power have to do with down shifting?

How many miles? Have you done the updates? All the 1000 guys have reported that the 1K really smooths out with miles and that the updates seem to smooth it out as well.

Reactions: pct
H

hunter3736

Mar 25, 2018
New York
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Your dealer sounds pretty stupid. What does power have to do with down shifting?

How many miles? Have you done the updates? All the 1000 guys have reported that the 1K really smooths out with miles and that the updates seem to smooth it out as well.
I have 88 hours on it. I don't know about any updates beyond a recall on machines with a roof installed.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 88 hours on it. I don't know about any updates beyond a recall on machines with a roof installed.
There is a clutch update campaign that helps smooth things out ALOT!!! You're dealer should be able to give details for this update at no cost.

Reactions: pct and BWAF
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 2016 - P1000 - 3 was very jerky and seemed to want to downshift all of the time for the first 250 - 300 miles. After that it has really smoothed out.

advertisement
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The clutch update really makes a difference and miles help too and while they are doing the update have the cabin comfort update
done at the came time.

Reactions: BWAF
W

WildTurkey

Feb 8, 2018
Nantahala NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
First oil change at 100 miles seemed to help smooth mine, especially in the lower gears. It did downshift so hard my dog riding shotgun would get thrown out of her seat. Now even in Auto it is much smoother and predictable..