Aftermarket Snorkel

Mpnoonan

Mpnoonan

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Northeast Nebraska
Was wondering if anyone has heard of an aftermarket snorkel becoming available any time soon. Idk if I can make a home made one in this case

F

farmer700

Dec 7, 2013
I dont think a snorkel is a good idea. How deep do you you really want to go? After so deep you will not be able to push the gas and stay seated.

Mpnoonan

Mpnoonan

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Northeast Nebraska
I don't plan on going more than waist deep I would like to have it more as a safety net than a reason to push my limits, you know? There's a river by my house that 200 or so people ride every weekend in a 30 mile stretch and I can get through it just fine it just gets deep in certain spots where it would be nice to have a snorkel in case I get stuck or fall into a hole. Just to keep it running until I get winched out

F

farmer700

Dec 7, 2013
Kool. It would suck to sink this beast. With my atv 3 people could pull it out. With this thing I may need a backhoe.

Mpnoonan

Mpnoonan

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Northeast Nebraska
Yeah it's pretty heavy, we ride the loup river it's about a quarter mile wide sand riverbed with a 100 foot channel that zigzags through it. The current works to your advantage when you're stuck you just turn in the direction of the flow. And having a pioneer 4 means you have extra people to push :). Always makes a good day of riding with a cooler if beer and a dozen or so friends

Mpnoonan

Mpnoonan

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Northeast Nebraska
I'd rather keep it running rather than being dead in the water with a 1400 lb machine. I'm going to look into building a snorkel that I can fit in between the bed rail and the seats to bring it between the headrests. Just have to find a plastic molding company that can custom make the flat piece that will flow the same as the intake tube

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
I was thinking the same thing. I go through some deep stuff occasionally but don't PLAN on getting that deep. Wonder what it'd do if we just plumbed a whole new intake tube from the filter box? Does it really need that big funky shaped thing behind the seat just to pipe air to the motor? Seems it would benefit from a nice smooth intake tube.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I will be looking at a snorkel in the spring for the same reason Mpnoonan wants his. I do not plan to turn it into a submarine but when the time comes I want to be ready.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@pipe, those chambers have a reason. I just don't remember what it was.
But most people do not care about that or maybe they do not know about that.. Including me, I'm going to straight pipe it unless someone can talk me out of it. Lol

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I've already sort of snorkeled mine.I did it for the reason of trying to keep dust/snow etc: form getting sucked into the filter box.I just figured that it would be best to suck air from a cleaner location.like under the hood. I used 2" pvc pipe and ran it from the air box all the way to the front with only using one 90 elbow.The rest are 22 and 45's I also used a couple pieces of 2" black hose as well. I actually ran the pipe along the outside of the frame tight against the floor.Under the hood I have a filter that can be blown out.The filter is sitting right behind the rad cap and in front of the electric steering unit.

Attachments

• pioneer est 007 (Small).jpg
    pioneer est 007 (Small).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2,514
advertisement
pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
slowdryrider said:
I've already sort of snorkeled mine.I did it for the reason of trying to keep dust/snow etc: form getting sucked into the filter box.I just figured that it would be best to suck air from a cleaner location.like under the hood. I used 2" pvc pipe and ran it from the air box all the way to the front with only using one 90 elbow.The rest are 22 and 45's I also used a couple pieces of 2" black hose as well. I actually ran the pipe along the outside of the frame tight against the floor.Under the hood I have a filter that can be blown out.The filter is sitting right behind the rad cap and in front of the electric steering unit.

So you did away with the old intake and plumbed it straight from the factory filter box to under the hood??? I think I'll do a similar job but just try to get it up higher as I'm not concerned about dust here in southern Ohio.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I removed the factory one completely.After reading the instructions in the rear panel install, I decided to remove the factory one.It say's that once you install the rear panel you have to clean and check the air filter after every ride ,because of all the extra dust that will get sucked in. :eek: I already knew that would happen as with any closed in cab it creates lots of dust behind the cab.My other machine's all sucked air from under the hood and to me that's were the least amount of dust/snow etc: is.

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
Makes sense. I have the 4 seat and plan to enclose the whole cab so I'll probly just try to extend it up a foot or 2.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Mpnoonan said:
The question is; how do you get the snorkel routed upward without restricting flow?
To make a 90 degree use a couple of 45 degree's with a short pipe between this way there's way less restriction. Or use four 22.5 The less bends the better.A long flowing bend is better then a sharp one.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
slowdryrider said:
I removed the factory one completely.After reading the instructions in the rear panel install, I decided to remove the factory one.It say's that once you install the rear panel you have to clean and check the air filter after every ride ,because of all the extra dust that will get sucked in. :eek: I already knew that would happen as with any closed in cab it creates lots of dust behind the cab.My other machine's all sucked air from under the hood and to me that's were the least amount of dust/snow etc: is.

Crap, u read the instructions?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
slowdryrider said:

How does it run now any loss of power with all that extra pipe?

D

daberry

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 4, 2013
Kansas
FYI They make easy flow 90's that have a gentle curve to them. They may be easier than piecing together multiple couplers...cheaper too.

greenatv

greenatv

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have used 2 inch spa hose. Fairly flexable and eliminates all the sharp bends for smooth flow.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
How does it run now any loss of power with all that extra pipe?
It runs just like before,

advertisement